Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement key

3 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Jgtcracer When new they would have had two transponder keys and a valet key, well at least mine has happy for others to chime in if I'm wrong 😊

Bug Rat

Suppose it makes sense.  Never had a valet key before, does this mean I drive a posh car and therefore I am posh??

@PeckerGulp, that is going to be an expensive loss of key!

When I got my IS250 it only came with one key, saw various reports about buying second hand keys on fleabay, saw a bargain one ~£40 asked if had been erased (apparently a neede operation) seller checked with his key programming mate who confirmed that it is required, paid him an extra £10 to get it erased. It took a month or so of fiddling to get a TechStream OBD reader/programmer dongle working (don't ask) and programmed the spare key perfectly.

There is however one fly in the ointment for your case, you MUST have a working key to identify you as the legitimate owner in order to add a new key!

Other than a new ECU and key pair I don'believe there's a way round it, unless there's some dodgy backstreet ECU hacker who can do it!

Andrew.

Ok, so after much nail biting we've located the 1 and only key... phew! Now to research some of the above options to prevent anymore tears.

Thanks for all your input chaps.

• Like 1

Mark it's good you found a key.

It is expensive if you loose all the keys, but a new ECU is not required. Lexus or an approved locksmith have to get a new seed code from Lexus to get access to the ECU through the OBD port. This has to be done live over the internet supplying details such as the VIN number. Total cost can be around £850 with 2 new fobs.

If your brave you can strip the ECU and remove the existing code re-programming  yourself.

John.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links