Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tow Bar - a bit twitchy!

I want to get a tow bar fitted to my 2004 RX300. I have read various posts on here which have made me a bit twitchy!

1) Fitting WITHOUT cutting the rear valance.

2) 12S plug wiring problems

3) Tow Bar that fouls the spare wheel.

4) Supplimentary cooling fan.

I do not mind travelling for a good job - any recommendations/experience of certain makes of tow bar or fitters?

Considering using Trident Tailers in Maidstone. Any advice and what to specifically ask for would be most appreciated - as I wish to tow my caravan

I have a 2010 RX450 and recently had a towbar supplied and fitted by PF Jones, an eBay site. No cutout to the bumper at all. It's a detachable swan neck. Give them a phone, they were very helpful. Total was about £400 from memory. Can't be sure of RX300 but I'm sure they will know. 

Just checked their website, there is a non detachable model with no bumper cuts. 

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/lexus-rx300-closed-off-road-vehicle-02-2003-12-2008-brink-swan-neck-towbar.html

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2017 at 10:14 AM, Spacewagon52 said:

I want to get a tow bar fitted to my 2004 RX300. I have read various posts on here which have made me a bit twitchy!

4) Supplimentary cooling fan.

What is the fan for (cooling what?)?

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Yes a supplimentary oil cooler was mentioned on a post here.

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Yes a supplimentary oil cooler was mentioned on a post here.

Gearbox oil or engine oil?  I've never before heard of a car that needed an additional cooler to be fitted when a tow bar is fitted.  I am considering the purchase of an RX 350 / 400h and I would be using it for towing, so will follow this with interest.  

Is the supplementary cooler essential, or optional?  This would potentially increase the cost of having a tow bar retrofitted.  Also when buying a car that already has a tow bar, one would need to consider if that had been retrofitted, and whether it also had the additional cooler...... :(

I don't think fitting a towbar requires any cooling, it's when you are towing heavy items such as caravans that there is a lot of stress on the cooling and lubrication systems and i understand people fit additional oil and radiator systems. I only wanted a bike carrier so no need. I suppose a caravan site may offer more advice. I do hear the RX range make excellent towcars so someone on those sites will offer best advice. 

The cooler would be for the automatic transmission fluid. I will check my handbook but I have not heard of anyone on here fitting one.

First quote for a tow bar came in at £800! So will now shop around.

I tow a 1700Kg caravan with my 400h and have had no overheating problems or needed an additional cooling fan. It just drinks fuel but that's the price you pay for towing with a petrol car that gives a reasonable fuel consumption when not towing (28 to 32 mpg). I fitted the tow bar myself and there was a need to cut a small section out of the rear bumper. If you go for the Wesfalia detachable bar it's the one that Lexus fit as original equipment. The electrical wiring is a bit of a faf as you need to get the special wiring kit for the car. To get at the various connection points is not easy and identifying the correct wires for the lights is not easy as there is no connecting plug socket fitted to the loom. one of the connections is above the roof lining!