Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ceramic brake pads.

I am looking for some advice on replacing the front brake pads on my 2013 IS 300h. I am in the Liverpool area so I was looking for some-one who sells ceramic brake pads, but the only items that I could find in the UK are EBC items and these are coming with poor reports by users.

It seems that we in the UK are way behind the States, where there appear to be a number of different manufacturers. I don't understand the reluctance of British manufacturers to produce good quality ceramic brake pads, and I find it really annoying that I have to shop online to find a set of ceramic brake pads to fit the car.

I would like to ask whether anyone can recommend somewhere online, whether UK or in the States, who will supply a set of front, ceramic brake pads that will work well on the car.

I have read that items like Akebono or Centric are well suited to the IS 300h, have good wear properties, quiet operation, and are "dust free" [ if any brake pads can be described as dust free]. The only problem is, is that neither of these makes are available in the UK.

I see that Mintex don't make ceramic pads, and EBC are rather too often criticized to make them an option.

So I would be grateful if some-one has actual experience of using ceramic brake pads, what make they used, where they bought them, and finally, a part number if possible.

Many thanks in advance,

Parkman.

1 hour ago, parkman said:

I am looking for some advice on replacing the front brake pads on my 2013 IS 300h. I am in the Liverpool area so I was looking for some-one who sells ceramic brake pads, but the only items that I could find in the UK are EBC items and these are coming with poor reports by users.

It seems that we in the UK are way behind the States, where there appear to be a number of different manufacturers. I don't understand the reluctance of British manufacturers to produce good quality ceramic brake pads, and I find it really annoying that I have to shop online to find a set of ceramic brake pads to fit the car.

I would like to ask whether anyone can recommend somewhere online, whether UK or in the States, who will supply a set of front, ceramic brake pads that will work well on the car.

I have read that items like Akebono or Centric are well suited to the IS 300h, have good wear properties, quiet operation, and are "dust free" [ if any brake pads can be described as dust free]. The only problem is, is that neither of these makes are available in the UK.

I see that Mintex don't make ceramic pads, and EBC are rather too often criticized to make them an option.

So I would be grateful if some-one has actual experience of using ceramic brake pads, what make they used, where they bought them, and finally, a part number if possible.

Many thanks in advance,

Parkman.

Not much demand.

Get some brembos and call it a day.

2 hours ago, parkman said:

Hi, seen some previous posts before about this subject from yourself. I had a Jag two years ago with Brembo brakes.

In this case are you referring to brake pads, or brake pads and discs ?

Parkman.

Either - brembo are a good brand with great performance. They also make brake pads and discs for certain Lexus models like the RC-F, GS-F, LS and LC. 

You could always get ceramic brakes from the US - but I really dont think you'd find much improvement in terms of braking on the road and certainly the cost would be much higher

brembo are superb brakes , are perfect for high performance vehicles & modulate better than ceramic.

If my ISF Brembos scored 10 out of 10, my 2013 300h scored 6 as the power & modulation was neither forceful or smooth.

My 2017 300h scores 8, Much smoother & therefore appear more powerful.

Check the latest spec.------ the pads might, in themselves, give some improvement.

Tel

3 hours ago, matt8 said:

I am assuming fitting Brembo would void any extended warranties? That is, they are not Lexus original?

Yes, just like changing the washer fluid for non-Lexus brand instantly voids the warranty :laugh:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks for all the responses, some interesting comments.

I often wonder whether the warranty is void if using 3rd party items such as brake pads. I have a suspicion that if there was a problem with the discs, for whatever reason, then local dealer could well argue that fitting non original spec pads caused the problem and therefore you would have no claim on the warranty.

I will have to give it some thought - unless Lexus themselves have a low dust brake disc themselves that they can fit.

Parkman.

The Brembo's were standard on my ISF &; if the spec of the pads has changed for the 2017 model; it might be worth a punt.

The brakes are certainly much improved.

Tel

9 hours ago, parkman said:

Thanks for all the responses, some interesting comments.

I often wonder whether the warranty is void if using 3rd party items such as brake pads. I have a suspicion that if there was a problem with the discs, for whatever reason, then local dealer could well argue that fitting non original spec pads caused the problem and therefore you would have no claim on the warranty.

I will have to give it some thought - unless Lexus themselves have a low dust brake disc themselves that they can fit.

Parkman.

The real question is what are you trying to achieve? Is it performance or low brake dust that you are looking for?

Standard high performance brake pads do tend to dust more than others but if you're looking for a brake dust remedy, it may be better to use a wheel coating like Gtechniq C5 in which case you should only need a pressure wash to bring them back up and the dust will stick less.

• Like 1

I've never driven a car that produces so little brake dust as my RC300h does. Hybrid or pad material, I don't know but the Williams ceramic coating repels what little dust does settle on the rims. 👍

Thanks for the replies.

I am past the fast road stuff nowadays. I have sold all my performance stuff, the Jag XJR being the last car to go, last January. I am happy with the performance of the IS 300h and all I want to do is try to ensure that the front wheels don't end up black. I have a 2004 E220 cdi and that is using standard MB brake pads. I have to wash the front wheels on a regular basis, about every two weeks, to try to keep them clean.

I have seen Gtechniq products, in fact I think I even have a bottle of something by them in my garage. However, I have no idea what the reference to Williams Ceramic coating refers to. Perhaps I could get a bit more info ?

Parkman.

19 hours ago, parkman said:

Thanks for the replies.

I am past the fast road stuff nowadays. I have sold all my performance stuff, the Jag XJR being the last car to go, last January. I am happy with the performance of the IS 300h and all I want to do is try to ensure that the front wheels don't end up black. I have a 2004 E220 cdi and that is using standard MB brake pads. I have to wash the front wheels on a regular basis, about every two weeks, to try to keep them clean.

I have seen Gtechniq products, in fact I think I even have a bottle of something by them in my garage. However, I have no idea what the reference to Williams Ceramic coating refers to. Perhaps I could get a bit more info ?

Parkman.

In which case a coating would be fine until the brake pads need changing.

Gtechniq C5 is easy to get hold of and cheap. 

Don't trust the lifetime warranty though, there's so many clauses in there its unbelievable

Thanks everyone, for all the replies.

I will ring Lexus Dublin on Monday first, and check to see if they did actually fit low dust pads at the last service in May.

Depending on their answer I will think about what to do.

Parkman.

I fitted a set of Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic pads to the rear of my GS300H in an effort to get rid of the low speed brake grunt which my dealer said was normal.

It worked to, it is now nice & quiet no grunt & and little to no dust.

I have a set to go the front but not fitted them yet.

Ordered from amazon.com took about a week to arrive.

Ed:yes:

I have no problem changing front brake pads, but is it as easy to replace the rear pads ?

I am usually able to change front pads on most "normal" cars in about an hour, and when I say "normal" I don't include my Mercedes E220 !! You need a Star diagnostic computer to get the brake pads to release. apparently, so I never bothered doing them, I just got my local indie to do them.

One question that I would like to ask is on the 2013 Gen 3 IS 300h [AVE30] - do I need the brake shoes with a wear sensor, or is the wear sensor part of the caliper ?

I ask because I saw two sets of American Hawk brand ceramic performance pads, front and rear, and one had what appears to be a wear indicator cable.

Parkman.

On 07/10/2017 at 8:45 PM, parkman said:

I have no problem changing front brake pads, but is it as easy to replace the rear pads ?

The rears on the GS were easy. Same caliper as the IS iirc. The Wagner Ceramic Thermoquiet pads were supplied with new mounting clips to.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a set of Wagner ThermoQuiet for the rear of my IS as rear pads getting thin was the only advisory on the MOT.

As far as I can see they have to come from the USA, unless anyone knows of a UK seller?

Amazon appear to have the correct parts for $48 (~£36) including taxes, how did others buy theirs?

And finally did you leave out the OE shims and stuff and go with Wagners applied shim material?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Andrew

On 10/30/2017 at 9:15 AM, capese21 said:

I used the pads as supplied including the new clips & discarded the original shims.  I could not find a UK supplier. 

Ah, OK thanks, I thought that would be the answer. Might I ask where you sourced them from?

Andrew