Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Servicing Costs

Moderate car 7 year warranty. Expensive car 3 year warranty. I understand the sales pitch but I'm talking specifically about value and risk. From a probability point of view.

I'm not criticising anyone or their decision to purchase a warranty. It's a gamble you take after balancing all the factors, some of which are personal and apply to person A but maybe not person B.

I currently have a warranty claim in BTW.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Comedian said:

It's a bit like pet insurance, I don't have it. Biggest vet bill so far 600 quid. 

We have spent that weekly on our cat for the last three weeks, and had other bills of well over £800. We learnt our lesson a few years back when we had to spend £1500 within about 10days. It makes conversations with the vet a lot easier when expense is not such an issue.

BTW......I don't recall if you have the TVD on your RCF, but last time I checked that was a £15k part. 

If you advise the vet you have no insurance the bill will magically decrease by 90% well at least 75%

A bit like taking a car to a body repair place ..there are always two prices. 

We've had a virtual kennel and cattery for the last 30 years and the biggest bill was £400 for a hip removal on a jack Russell. Vets tend to be non money grabbing folk - well the old timers do.

back on topic..roughly

I never had an extended warranty on the IS200. I did however on my recent BMW as the BMW warranty is allegedly second to none but the cars aren't :wink3:.. I'm undecided on the IS200t - warranty up in 12 months. I've read some disappointing stuff on here in relation to Lexus warranty claims however, also some good stuff (Just to balance things up).

Also factor in that lexus introduce new tech into their cars, which can be problematic. Toyota are a bit slow in that respect to introduce certain things.

I also think a 10 year warranty on Battery is pretty fair provided a HHC is done. Would be interesting to see what the hybrid cars are like warranty wise from other manufacturers. 

On is300h reliability. I think batteries will fail more often that the other models as their cooling intake is very easy to clog. The pop up hood is another weak spot as a small tap to the front can set it off. If your lucky it can be reset otherwise you need parts. The rear arch corrosion repair is another weak spot as it depends on who repairs it as to how good it is done. Miss something and years down the line you will have corroded arches

We have spent that weekly on our cat for the last three weeks, and had other bills of well over £800. We learnt our lesson a few years back when we had to spend £1500 within about 10days. It makes conversations with the vet a lot easier when expense is not such an issue.
BTW......I don't recall if you have the TVD on your RCF, but last time I checked that was a £15k part. 
Martin, this is why I'm trying to say it's an awkward decision. But the insurance can pay that knowing that most people won't need it. Sorry to hear about the animals :(

No tvd here, partly for that reason.

If you advise the vet you have no insurance the bill will magically decrease by 90% well at least 75%

This - insurances tend to push prices up. It's much easier morally in ones mind to overcharge a 'greedy corporation'. Much more altruistic to help and animal with a worried owner, and make it back on the next insurance job.

I have a few friends who work in bodyshops and insurance repair business.

And yes, they do have different prices depending on if its a private customer or an insurance job. 

With private customers, they tend to repair as much as possible. With insurance jobs - they prefer to replace as its more profitable for them.

• 2 weeks later...

To get back to the issue of this thread i.e the price of a service. Whilst at the dealer this morning to sort my Bluetooth issue I overheard the head customer service guy talking to a customer. He clearly stated so longs as genuine lexus parts used then you can take your car where you like. The price of a hybrid heath check is £60 (dealer is charged £26.50) but no charge if you take your car to lexus for a service.

The essential service is cheap But you pay for all parts but he also contradicted himself by saying parts are paid for in a lexus done service.

So I suggest take your car to a Toyota dealer to service your car then to lexus to do the hybrid heath check. 

4 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

So I suggest take your car to a Toyota dealer to service your car then to lexus to do the hybrid heath check. 

And how much would that actually save you after paying the £60 to Lexus..nothing i would imagine, plus the hassle of taking it to two places. I would go all out independent or full fat Lexus.

When i had a leased car I tried to take it to Toyota as it was local, they booked it in then called back to say take it to Lexus, the price was exactly the same, it was only saving me travel time. 

Your also paying for the experience of a lexus tech, they are more familiar with the cars and know areas of common failure to inspect etc.
More helpful if you have an issue you want addressed during service.

Hello Casa. To answer your question. I was quoted £1300 for 2 intermediate and 1 full service.

My local Toyota dealer who before quoting me contacted lexus for information and guidelines quoted me £180 for an intermediate service and £330 for a full and in their words big service. 

So over 3 years at Toyota and to lexus for a hybrid heath check total cost would be £900. I don'tknow about you but 400 quid is a lot to save.

As for experience iwonder I'd trust a Toyota technician as much as a lexus one. After all they get the same training. The new Rav 4 has the same engine as my is300h and running gear too I believe. 

But as I e stated elsewhere you can take your car anywhere you like and if they use genuine lexus parts then your warranty is fully valid. That came from the head of customer service at Stockport Lexus as I heard his loud voice whilst he was on the phone to a customer. 

Those figures don't sound right, I'd check with Toyota that it is like for like. based on the prices you've given I make the difference about £100

Toyota 2 x £240 (£180.00 + £60 to Lexus) + 1 x £390 (£330 + £60.00 to Lexus) =  £870.00

Lexus 2 x 265.00 + 1 x £445.00 = £975.00

that's about £30.00 per year, is it worth the hassle? 

I'm no fan of Lexus servicing as I think the intervals are too short for private customers, but for £30 per year I wouldn't bother taking it two places. 

Also, with regards to hearing the manager talking to another customer, are you sure he wasn't talking about the Manufacturers warranty, which he is right, you can it to any VAT registered garage and if they use genuine parts then warranty is fine, not the case with extended warranty, they can make their rules as per the agreement you sign. I'd get written confirmation rather than basing it on a overheard conversation. 

Casa. Your sums are wrong. The prices I got from Toyota are correct and that' after them contacting lexus Twice.

My quotes are 2x180= 360

1x330= 330.  

Lexus hybrid heath check x3 = 180

360+330+180= 870 making a saving of 430. 

I'm' going off the rip off price I've got in writing from Stockport Lexus of 1300 over 3 years. I'd love to know where you got your lexus service cost figures from. They're far more favourable than that I got.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/#

Not sure how you get to £1300.00, it shows minor and major service at £265 and £445 respectively, those would be the equivalent of the Toyota price you gave. Even if Lexus charge £595 for one of the Major ones then it £1125.00, not £1300.00 as you suggest. 

38 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

I've got in writing from Stockport Lexus of 1300 over 3 years. 

21 minutes ago, Casa1862 said:

Not sure how you get to £1300.00,

Casa. Listen and listen well. It' Not me who came up with the figure of 1300. It came from the dealer I bought my car from. 

Thanks for that link. I'l look at it and from that get back onto the dealer. 

Right then.  Thanks again for that link Casa. Iv'e dug out my service quote. 

1x intermediate 

1x Full 40

1x Full 60

Equals 1345 and as per your link.

I'm going to pop into my local Toyota dealer and show them what's involved in each service and ask how it compares to their services.

It's not me Comedian but it' what I got in writing from Stockport Lexus. 
That's how I read it.

I get 2 intermediates and one full as just under 1300 but a 60k will be extra.

Yeh it's the full plus service at 60k  that you're missing out. Toyota will charge you £395 for this then you will have to pay your £60 on top for the health check so total £455. Still a saving though 

As for the hybrid heath check. I'm pretty sure that Toyota perform such a check on their own branded cars. Their Rav 4 now has the same engine as the is300h and with more power. I'd guess also that they share the same or very similar hybrid system. So I'm guessing that in a years time, where a lot will happen, a Toyota dealer will be able to perform the health check. Makes sense to me.