Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sorry...insurance question!

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I was just wondering if any particular insurance companies are recommended to cover an ISF?

I'd prefer to use someone who offer a good services, if required, as appose to the cheapest.

Do you guys have some kind of agreed value on your policy as I'm guessing the general pricing guides value the cars far less than what you'd need to replace your Pride and joy?!

Thanks in advance. 

21 minutes ago, BUG4LIFE said:

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I was just wondering if any particular insurance companies are recommended to cover an ISF?

I'd prefer to use someone who offer a good services, if required, as appose to the cheapest.

Do you guys have some kind of agreed value on your policy as I'm guessing the general pricing guides value the cars far less than what you'd need to replace your Pride and joy?!

Thanks in advance. 

I'm with Admiral - like a few others. Just make sure you have gap insurance!

I understand from my niece who works for a broker that the NFU are probably the best for after-care and attention in the event of a claim ...............  and you don't have to be a farmer, just have enough money to not worry too much about the premium.

Malc

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

I'm with Admiral - like a few others. Just make sure you have gap insurance!

Ok, cheers. I haven't really thought about GAP on a car of this age. I'll look into it. 

3 minutes ago, Malc said:

I understand from my niece who works for a broker that the NFU are probably the best for after-care and attention in the event of a claim ...............  and you don't have to be a farmer, just have enough money to not worry too much about the premium.

Malc

I might as well get a quote!

3 minutes ago, BUG4LIFE said:

Ok, cheers. I haven't really thought about GAP on a car of this age. I'll look into it. 

There was an IS-F (white one) stolen last year (I think). Payout from the insurance company was very low. This is the norm in the industry apparently.

@Rusty Crobar will be along in a moment to give some sound advice.

@Jgtcracer I'm with Adrian Flux as well took up with them last month £389.00 all in, pleased they are progressing your claim, of course we can all expect that from any insurance company being the professional honest forthright............ 😂

🐀

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BUG4LIFE said:

This is not the normal use of a GAP insurance policy, but I guess it would work. 

I just wonder if the cost of regular car insurance + GAP insurance is less than having a agreed value policy. I previously went through a big fight with Admiral and won, but was so ****** off that they wanted to fight me every step of the way so my Supra is on an agreed value policy and I should probably consider the same for the RC-F

I used More Than for a about 6 years on IS-F and RC-F. They tried to up the premium each year, but a quick look on Confused.com and  a phone call brought the premium down. They were very professional on the phone which gave me confidence.

This year they took the p*ss and wanted to put it up by 48%. Then on Confused.com I saw a More Than quote about £100 cheaper than they had offered me for renewal. So I jumped ship

I suppose all providers try and gouge existing customers, so just shop around

1 hour ago, Martin F said:

This is not the normal use of a GAP insurance policy, but I guess it would work. 

I just wonder if the cost of regular car insurance + GAP insurance is less than having a agreed value policy. I previously went through a big fight with Admiral and won, but was so ****** off that they wanted to fight me every step of the way so my Supra is on an agreed value policy and I should probably consider the same for the RC-F

I haven't had chance to look into GAP yet, but I was thinking, if you own an ISF that's written off/stolen and never recovered, the insurance company should be paying out enough cash to buy other one? If all the cars available for sale are priced way above what the price guides say, wouldn't you have a case to expect more money without having to get GAP cover?

I know that's in an ideal world and insurance companies are buggers but... 

36 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

I used More Than for a about 6 years on IS-F and RC-F. They tried to up the premium each year, but a quick look on Confused.com and  a phone call brought the premium down. They were very professional on the phone which gave me confidence.

This year they took the p*ss and wanted to put it up by 48%. Then on Confused.com I saw a More Than quote about £100 cheaper than they had offered me for renewal. So I jumped ship

I suppose all providers try and gouge existing customers, so just shop around

Most important to me is how they'd deal with a claim as appose to the lowest price.

For instance, I had a new windscreen on my BM a while back. As the car is old and rusty I wasn't worried too much about who fitted the replacement. The guy was nice enough but the trim he put around the screen still isn't sitting right. When/if I had an ISF and needed a new windscreen I think I'd want to choose my own replacement company but, wouldn't want to get shafted for doing this!  

I can second the comment re: NFU - I was with them for about six years and the big advantage is that you deal with a branch office and can get through to someone who can deal with your query without fuss rather than being held in a 'your call is important to us' queue followed by security questions then banging your head against a scripted interaction.

However, I never had to make a claim so I can't comment on how that might go but they do have a good reputation. I only left after six years because the gap between them and the comparison sites became too much to ignore. 

With a car like the ISF, you will need to have an agreed value policy or GAP insurance. In the event of theft or write-off, you won't get a full value payout otherwise.

I originally had the car insured with Lexus insurance, mainly because they were one of the few to not require a tracker at the time and so there would be no quibling over Lexus doing any repairs. I had also been provide with a 3 year gap insurance when I bought the car as part of the deal. 

As mentioned above re the pitifull insurance value payed on a stolen ISF,  I tried to extend my gap insurance when it finshed earlier this year, which apparently you can't do unless its within 6 months of the cars purchase.  So as a result I am now also with Adrian Flux, who were cheaper even with an agreed valuation policy.  I would give GAP or an a agreed valuation policy serious consideration, because you certainly won't be able to replace the car with the payout from a standard policy.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DAW said:

I originally had the car insured with Lexus insurance, mainly because they were one of the few to not require a tracker at the time and so there would be no quibling over Lexus doing any repairs. I had also been provide with a 3 year gap insurance when I bought the car as part of the deal. 

As mentioned above re the pitifull insurance value payed on a stolen ISF,  I tried to extend my gap insurance when it finshed earlier this year, which apparently you can't do unless its within 6 months of the cars purchase.  So as a result I am now also with Adrian Flux, who were cheaper even with an agreed valuation policy.  I would give GAP or an a agreed valuation policy serious consideration, because you certainly won't be able to replace the car with the payout from a standard policy.

@DAW As I'm with Flux now think I will give them a call see what they want for an agreed value add on.

Big Rat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arqum said:

Do Admiral do agreed value policy?

Only for certain cars that are over 25 years old 😕

Most insurers pay book prices which are very low for Lexus f cars. Agreed value or gap is a must sadly. 

• Like 1

I thought Gap can only be bought at the time of purchase of the car, you can't take it out later. Am I wrong? Who are others using for their Gap insurance?

34 minutes ago, Arqum said:

I thought Gap can only be bought at the time of purchase of the car, you can't take it out later. Am I wrong? Who are others using for their Gap insurance?

Yes, you have to buy it soon after buying the car but it doesn't usually matter if it is a new car or 2nd hand, up to 10 years old usually. 

8 hours ago, BUG4LIFE said:

I haven't had chance to look into GAP yet, but I was thinking, if you own an ISF that's written off/stolen and never recovered, the insurance company should be paying out enough cash to buy other one? If all the cars available for sale are priced way above what the price guides say, wouldn't you have a case to expect more money without having to get GAP cover?

I know that's in an ideal world and insurance companies are buggers but... 

Yes, but if your car is written off do you really want to have to fight with the insurance company for up to six months, refer to financial ombudsman etc, etc just because they don't want to uphold their part of the contract? 

Unfortunately I learnt my lesson the hard way and because of that would never touch Admiral or their sister companies with a barge pole. 

On 05/10/2017 at 11:01 PM, Martin F said:

Yes, but if your car is written off do you really want to have to fight with the insurance company for up to six months, refer to financial ombudsman etc, etc just because they don't want to uphold their part of the contract? 

Unfortunately I learnt my lesson the hard way and because of that would never touch Admiral or their sister companies with a barge pole. 

Who do you use now then mate (soz if you've already mentioned that)?