Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squeeking from n/s rear

My rear near-side suspension sometimes squeeks a little when banking right around a sharpish bend, - roundabout for example.  Had it serviced today so asked the guy to take a look.  He suspects that it's the top mount of the suspension strut.  He said there is no movement of the struck in there at all, - so it all seems mechanically fine, - he is going to enquire to Lexus to see if they can replace just the top mount... or whether it's the entire strut that needs replacing.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice or experience in this area?  I asked whether simply greasing it up might help, but he said no as that would just wear off and it would come back again.  I have also had the bushes replaced last year...

57 minutes ago, PJD said:

I have also had the bushes replaced last year...

Sorry this is off topic but can you tell me who & where that was done, lexus in edgware rd dont do bushes only the full part, thanks.

Those top mounts are very durable. Unless your car has huge miles I would be a bit doubtful. 

What bushes were done? When did you last change your rear ARB bushes?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 12:47 PM, dendonc said:

Sorry this is off topic but can you tell me who & where that was done, lexus in edgware rd dont do bushes only the full part, thanks.

Sorry for the late reply - it was Leatherhead Motor Company

On 10/5/2017 at 3:00 PM, Newbie1 said:

Those top mounts are very durable. Unless your car has huge miles I would be a bit doubtful. 

What bushes were done? When did you last change your rear ARB bushes?

Yes - had the Rear Anti Roll  Bar bush done last year, (the invoice states "bush" as opposed to "bushes" - I can't remember if they did both or just the squeeky side, but either way it hasn't made one iota of difference).

So not worth going the Top Mount route then?

Very annoying that 2 different mechanics have no idea, - it's bloomin' annoying at times! :)

My near side rear suspension strut was replaced last month under extended warranty but the bill was £1000 !!

Although I didn't have a squeek I did have a thumping sound every time I went over the smallest bump.    These air ride struts are very expensive when they go wrong.  I was told there is no repair kit or schedule for the top mounting. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My local mechanic says he is fairly confident tha tit's the top mount that is squeeking, - he wants to come back and remove the rear seat & parcel shelf...

Hi Phil, I have removed one side of my rear seats and your mechanic will need three weetabix when he does take the seat out.  There is a reasonable Youtube video showing the process.  The base comes out first and relies on two locating wire loops  in the seat base frame.  The loops push into white plastic inserts.   It's hard to pull the cushion up without bending the wire  framing on either side of the cushion, however when it's put back you will need to support the cushion from underneath  first and  push down firmly on either side. This action will  ensure the seat cushion wire frame will bend back down and sit level with the centre cushion.    One wire is disconnected for the  heated seat and then you have to tackle the upper seat.

Two bolts at the base of the frame, 2 seat belt bolts and a ducting tube if you have air con rear seats need to be unbolted/disconnected.  The seat frame can then be lifted upwards and hooked out of the two brackets.  Very heavy.   

The wiring loom needs to be disconnected and be careful there is a separate yellow air bag wire too, (suggest you disconnect the Battery and wait 20 mins to discharge any residual current for the air bag)  If the wiring is left connected the best thing to do is support the seat frame after you tilt it forward while the top mounting plate is tackled.  Three nuts and a wiring connector.  The top plate can be seen with the seat out , just under the rear parcel shelf.  Not sure if the shelf does need to come out fully to deal with a top bush.   

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

I will certainly use this information, - superb, - many thanks Steve! :)

I have removed just the base seat before, a couple of times actually, on my own, - bit of a job, especially to get the seat back in... I remember sitting in the rear footwell facing the rear window and "chest pressing" the seat back in place, screaming like some mental bodybuilder as I did so :D

If you are on air suspension there are no individual parts available just the complete strut, if on springs the nearside top mount or insulator as it is named is available for around £30.00 part number 48257-50020.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

Took out the back seats.  The cap of the suspension strut (from which the squeak was coming from) had a dent in it.  Took the cap off and wondered if the strut was traveling too high... - i.e. suspension somehow f****d.

Took the cap off the other side to compare.  Noticed that the plastic sensor thing at the top of the strut was the wrong way round.  The problem one had been replaced by Lexus before I brought the car. 

So; turned around the plastic sensor, - test drive - squeak gone.

The plastic sensor is higher at one high than the other.

Best outcome really - very very happy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links