Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Boot release switch not moving

The boot release switch inside by 1997 Mk 3 LS400 has stopped working.

There is no movement in the switch and it cannot be pulled forward to open the boot. The lock to the left of the switch has not been pushed in, which I understand stops the switch from opening the boot. I have put the key in the lock, pushed the lock in and then released it by turning the key several times to see if this releases the switch but it does not.

Any thoughts on what the problem is here?

I am wondering whether it is worth disconnecting the Battery for 10 minutes and then reconnecting it, so see whether this returns things to the default position and (hopefully) releases the switch.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks in advance.

Being a Lexus, Chris, I would expect the switch to have lasted longer than 20 years without failing - I have must have been using it too much!

8 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

Only 20 years old and a failure! Sell the car

I think it's his Fiat, those ltalians were never very good on electronics,.........or haircuts....

17 hours ago, dendonc said:

I think it's his Fiat, those ltalians were never very good on electronics,.........or haircuts....

Hah! That reminds me of my long-haired youth in the 60s.

The Barber immortalised in the Beatles 'Penny Lane' used to stand outside his shop. It was on my way to work (Bus depot-Penny Lane- I was a Conductor) and he'd see me coming...."Mamma Mia" he'd exclaim at my flowing auburn locks!

Where did that colour go? Luckily for me the HAIR is still here.

Thanks for this, Pete.

Having watched the video, it looks as though this is showing how to by-pass the key button to the left of the boot release switch if you do not have a master key and the key button is pushed in. I am not sure whether my key is a master key but it does release the key button from the pushed in position. If only a master key allows the key button to come out, then my key must be a master key but it does not solve the problem. However, perhaps any key allows the button to come out but only a master key gets the boot release switch to work when the button comes out.

I think I will follow the instructions on the video and on another video which I have watched (How to open 1998 GS300 trunk without key) to see what happens. Fingers crossed!

Very sorry to hear about all this, tearful, stressful draining stuff Colin, I cant imagine the trauma of having to press the fob, sounds more like a torture method of ISIS, sleepless nights abound, it might help to bring the stress levels down a bit by getting a prescription for valium.....hope this helps:yes: