Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Accessory belt tensioner

Hi all,

Has anyone had their belt tensioner replaced and if so what sort of noises were coming from it?

I read on the American forums that it's a common fault and I'm sure mine is making some sort of rustling noise above 3k revs.

Cheers 

Mike

I'll see about getting a new belt. Apparently in manual mode the gear shifts are so quick the auxiliary belt can't keep up and can let out a quick screech.

@mike mThats right Mike it's nothing more serious than that I've heard mine do it some months ago when we were in Wales on a boys weekend spanking 'F's' up to 60mph when the law allowed 👍

A new belt should sort it they probably have more chance keeping up with the gear changes in manual when they are newer 🤗

Big Rat

Cheers Big Rat. I'll give my local parts supplier shout and see what they have. Lexus Edinburgh is too far just for a belt.

It'll give me a chance to spin the idler pulleys as well.

3 hours ago, Mark G said:

Mine lets out a bit of a squeak when its being pushed, its done since I bought it 2 years ago.

That wil be a cry for help from the engine ........ might be your driving style?    :whistling1:  Just a thought.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

That wil be a cry for help from the engine ........ might be your driving style?    :whistling1:  Just a thought.

It loves it............................

...................and I have no driving style.....................:biggrin:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mark G said:

Mine lets out a bit of a squeak when its being pushed, its done since I bought it 2 years ago.

I can hear mine if the windows open. I also get some sort of rustling pulley noise above 3k so im thinking the tensioner is maybe playing up or a pulley is getting abit dry. Its not loud but i tend to tune into noises when im driving good and bad lol.

On 08/10/2017 at 6:08 PM, mike m said:

I'll see about getting a new belt. Apparently in manual mode the gear shifts are so quick the auxiliary belt can't keep up and can let out a quick screech.

I've always wondered what that little 'chirp' was!!!

Thanks

• Like 1

On 10/8/2017 at 6:08 PM, mike m said:

Mine does it all the time when pushing on and in manual mode.

If you watch a few youtube vids of ISF's being launched in manual then you usually hear it on them as well.

I think it sounds quite cool.  A buddy of mine thought it was turbocharged as he thought it sounded like a dump valve when changing up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mike m said:

Do any of you get the supercharger whine noise as well? 

Yep.  Certainly when really pushing on...  This only occurs on closed circuits, autobahns and delimited toll roads of course ;-)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

Yep.  Certainly when really pushing on...  This only occurs on closed circuits, autobahns and delimited toll roads of course ;-)

Cool, I'll stop thinking about that noise then. Not sure what causes the whine but it seems common on the is250's as well. Transmission oil pump maybe.

Mine is really noticeable when opening up 1st and 2nd.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links