Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replace or clean chrome exhaust tips

Guest bigbullhead

Guest bigbullhead

I am having trouble cleaning my exhaust tips on my IS250. What do other people use?I have tried brasso chrome cleaner etc but to no avail. Or would it be easier to replace the tips and if so does anyone recommend a pair that can be easily retro-fitted.Also if anyone has fitted new ones could I have a link to the purchase of the tips and if someone has cleaned them please tell me what you use. Thanks in advance 

Guest bigbullhead

I have used it but as normski says in a previous post it may need to have a cleaner soaked cloth around the tips for a time and maybe wore wool first then autosol to shine

5 hours ago, bigbullhead said:

I am having trouble cleaning my exhaust tips on my IS250. What do other people use?I have tried brasso chrome cleaner etc but to no avail. Or would it be easier to replace the tips and if so does anyone recommend a pair that can be easily retro-fitted.Also if anyone has fitted new ones could I have a link to the purchase of the tips and if someone has cleaned them please tell me what you use. Thanks in advance 

Mothers metal cleaner and 0 grade wire wool. They are not the best chrome to be honest, they have to be banged off i understand so will be a tight fit.

Photos and details attached of the ones I fitted a few months ago.  No pics of them on the car as my wife has nicked it for the day.  I'll post some when she returns.  I'm happy with the weight and quality of the chrome but the method of attachment is a bit crude.  Basically they clamp on to the tailpipe with 4xAllen headed screws which seem way too long.  I guess there's nothing wrong with setting the lenghth to get a good grip and then removing them and cutting off the excess from the inside leaving the allen head intact.  I've done over a thousand miles since fitting and have had no issues.  Hope his helps.  I have no affiliation etc. etc.

59de1f19c1e58_Screenshot2017-10-11at14_23_20.jpg.d4d5e1b923b392f69483c8473f20a9bd.jpg59de1f1a84e21_Screenshot2017-10-11at14_24_21.jpg.9e9e744dfd21c90f447d306f9393b181.jpg59de1f1b1e053_Screenshot2017-10-11at14_24_09.jpg.61353e48d5617412c2255ef420316bf9.jpg59de1f1b9cec4_Screenshot2017-10-11at14_25_47.jpg.40c9a1b031943c34a354ab59c1c26257.jpg

Actually mark - they look nice and very similar to the original - and the bonus is the extra plate between the exhaust and the tip outer - very nice

I might go for them myself

Can you post some pictures of them fitted please

The thing with chrome tailpipes is you have to keep on top of them from day one. 

They tend to get pitted and then corrode and no amount of wire wool and metal polish will remove that. 

The best thing to do is polish them up every 1 year or so and put a temperature resistant wax on it - something like FK1000p

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lordksmith said:

don't tell er indoors but I put mine in the dish washer, came out sparkly

lol. Your secret's safe with me. So long as you keep quiet about me putting all my mucky microfibres and rags in the washing machine.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links