Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Detail and ceramic coating today.

I've finally given up polishing the F and bringing in a local professional today / tomorrow to machine polish and apply a Cquarzt ceramic coating.

Can't wait to see the results so beware all you silver lovers there might be a some very blue pics coming:laugh:

The guy inspected the car a few weeks back and every panel had a more than 200microns of paint depth some areas were 250 so it would seem Lexus did a good job on these cars at the factory. Wife's CT is around 150 as a comparison.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Comedian said:

I love those wheels in that colour.

Does the car have to be kept out of rain for a period of time after coating?

I've been told it needs 24 hrs to cure but it'll be in the garage.  From then on ill need to wash it with a special water additive to maintain the life of the coating.

Still prepping the paint work. clay bar removed most of the tar etc but the car was covered with this stuff to identify dirt specs by turning purple then snow foamed again.

Amazing the amount of hidden crap that even the clay bar misses.

IMG_20171011_105056.jpg

IMG_20171011_105027.jpg

IMG_20171011_105904.jpg

IMG_20171011_105918.jpg

• Like 1

@mike m Being a builder I'm always up for a challenge, so this car detailing lark no probs I've gathered up some kit from the back of the van as the Silver 'F' needs a spruce up.......

Ive scraped out my best muck bucket for the 'H2 O' Solution.

And my best plastering sponge had had a dust off and also my favourite broom for the difficult bits.

Now I'm guessing you are all going to approve of my own 'clay Bar' , its a hand sander with 180 grit pad that should shift even the most obstinate stains.

So here we go.........IMG_3324.thumb.JPG.a4514afaf597b6aac0d87cc5fbe89c29.JPGIMG_3325.thumb.JPG.26008567ddfd474cb5bb25d0154b4ff7.JPG

Oh and by the way for a fraction of the cost 😂

🐀

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Passenger door corrected and is like a mirror, looks like the ceramic won't go on till tomorrow.

Just had to drill and tap my rear number plate bolt holes. Stupid plastic bolts were seized.

IMG_20171011_144112.jpg

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, mike m said:

Passenger door corrected and is like a mirror, looks like the ceramic won't go on till tomorrow.

Just had to drill and tap my rear number plate bolt holes. Stupid plastic bolts were seized.

IMG_20171011_144112.jpg

@mike m In all seriousness Mike it just goes to show the right man the right kit gives the kinda finish we wish would remain all year round, looking forward to the finish job.

Big Rat

39 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@mike m In all seriousness Mike it just goes to show the right man the right kit gives the kinda finish we wish would remain all year round, looking forward to the finish job.

Big Rat

I know mate, I thought I was doing ok with my bits and pieces but I've had my eyes opened. I can't wait to see it. So far the passenger sides been polished but alot more to get round.

34 minutes ago, Mark G said:

What does he charge for this @mike m

No more than 350 I've been told and that included the interior getting a going over and glass clean. With the amount of work I think it's a fair price. A mate of mine just bought a new 911 S thing and paid 700 to have it ceramic coated.

2 hours ago, mike m said:

No more than 350 I've been told and that included the interior getting a going over and glass clean. With the amount of work I think it's a fair price. A mate of mine just bought a new 911 S thing and paid 700 to have it ceramic coated.

That's good value for a product that should last 2 years. I'll be paying over £500 for a similar treatment next week but it will last up to 5 years 😊

• Like 2

Ummmmmm........this is as bad as one of them there technical threads that I 'sometimes' sabotage! :wink3:

Yesterday, my F got the special treatment, being washed and vacuumed by Lexus Cheltenham.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Warrington guy said:

Flytvr. Hope that’s not the only wash since Kemble. You are abusing your F 

Ummmmmm, which Kemble meet are we talking about? 😜

To be honest, as a second car, the F is driven only once a week and lives in the garage. The car is pampered with Lexus attention and the best of everything, but when it comes to scratching the **** out of it every week, neh, that’s not for me 😀

8 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Ummmmmm, which Kemble meet are we talking about? 😜

To be honest, as a second car, the F is driven only once a week and lives in the garage. The car is pampered with Lexus attention and the best of everything, but when it comes to scratching the **** out of it every week, neh, that’s not for me 😀

To be fair, it should stay looking pretty good, his garage is really clean.... 👍 

_20171011_201312.thumb.JPG.af9e45f6cb3a27bb6cc7d7f850076591.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, mike m said:

IMG_20171011_144112.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the final results and the durability of the ceramic coat. I had my car detailed last year and the guy didn't rate the durability of these products but I had it on my last car and was quite pleased. 

• Like 1

I enjoy (sad isn't it?) Doing my own. Use a DA polisher with various pads depending on the car. The rc only needed a light paint restore and gentle pad. Then coated with king of gloss which should last about 12 months. But it's only 20 quid a tub. Takes me about 4 to 6 hours to do a full job but between is just normal wash and towel and it looks waxed again. 8a6fdc6e450f76d3f9ce4998397c9372.jpg

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Comedian said:

I enjoy (sad isn't it?) Doing my own. Use a DA polisher with various pads depending on the car. The rc only needed a light paint restore and gentle pad. Then coated with king of gloss which should last about 12 months. But it's only 20 quid a tub. Takes me about 4 to 6 hours to do a full job but between is just normal wash and towel and it looks waxed again. 8a6fdc6e450f76d3f9ce4998397c9372.jpg

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

You can see the depth of colour there, looks stunning.

Here's a few pics of the job so far. Bumpers and door handle still to do, interior clean then apply the coating. 

There's one thing for sure it's going to be super shiny. Its not coming out the garage ever again :smile:

IMG_20171011_201541.jpg

IMG_20171011_201605.jpg

IMG_20171011_201618.jpg

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links