Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2011 RX450h - couple questions

Hello all .. new here to Lexus (be gentle :wink3:) .

I will be picking my (new to me) RX450h 2011 this Friday and have a question about the USB connector on it.

Where is the USB socket and does it just act as a connection to the Audio system or does it charge the phone up as well.

I am sure I will be pestering you with other questions as time goes by.

• Like 1

Just thought of another one .. I saw in a brouchure it mentions that it senses if you are close to the vehicle with the keys and allows you to lightly touch the door handle and it will unlock.

Does anyone know what the range is on this please, its not going to let someone in if the vehicle is parked outside the house or work office window if you have the keys on you?

What colour combination have you gone for?

Q1:

It's a pain to get to! - Lift the centre armrest and pull out the storage unit. It should just lift up. There is 1 (could be 2, can't remember) USB connector, a cigar lighter type connector, and I think there is also an audio connector. Your best bet is to leave your charging cables plugged in at all times, because having to pull out the storage unit each time soon becomes a pain. To the front of the storage unit, next to the seat heater switches, there is a small slider that you can push to the side to allow the cables to poke out for easy access if so you wish.

Q2:

You have to be within a couple of feet of the door handle. You need to place your fingers/hand in the gap between the body of the car and the door handle for it to unlock. in effect, it means that the car unlocks itself as you pull the handle to open the door. To lock the car, there is a groove on top of the door handle. One tap to lock. Two taps to double lock.

You will notice that the interior lights will come on (as well as the puddle lights under the mirrors) as you get near the car, but also that they get brighter when you open one of the doors and then dim slightly when you close the door. Another little thing I like - I know, it's a bit nerdy - is that the "mouse" re-position itself each time you switch the ignition on/off. Oh, and there is a little light hidden next to the interior light at the front that gently illuminates the centre console (only really useful when it's pitch black, but a nice touch nonetheless).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, flookyk said:

Just thought of another one .. I saw in a brouchure it mentions that it senses if you are close to the vehicle with the keys and allows you to lightly touch the door handle and it will unlock.

Does anyone know what the range is on this please, its not going to let someone in if the vehicle is parked outside the house or work office window if you have the keys on you?

As Dan said - 

With the USB, keep audio plugged in as it reloads every time and takes an age if you keep pulling it in and out. Also, the USB isn't great for charging, Amps are too low. 

Keyless range is 80cm from the front doors and from the tailgate.

• Like 1

Thanks Dan, that is most useful especially the advice of leaving a cable there hanging out.

The one I have bought (pick it up on Friday) is black with black seats ... was wondering about the lighter grey interior but was not sure how it would cope with being marked.

Thanks Rayaan, if there is a cigar type socket in there then it might be better for me to use that instead then and leave that cable there instead.

That range puts my mind to rest with it then.. thanks for the info.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flookyk said:

Just as a matter of interest, if you didn't record it, download this mornings episode of Rip Off Britain (BBC 1) and watch the article on Smart Entry/Locking on modern cars.  Some will find it quite alarming methinks.

1 hour ago, flookyk said:

Thanks Dan, that is most useful especially the advice of leaving a cable there hanging out.

The one I have bought (pick it up on Friday) is black with black seats ... was wondering about the lighter grey interior but was not sure how it would cope with being marked.

Thanks Rayaan, if there is a cigar type socket in there then it might be better for me to use that instead then and leave that cable there instead.

That range puts my mind to rest with it then.. thanks for the info.

There's a 12V socket in the armrest for sure. Mine was a facelifted 2012 model and it also had a 12V socket in the cutout of the centre console. Not sure if its present on 2011 models.

27 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

Just as a matter of interest, if you didn't record it, download this mornings episode of Rip Off Britain (BBC 1) and watch the article on Smart Entry/Locking on modern cars.  Some will find it quite alarming methinks.

Wouldn't worry about it - life's too short and time certainly shouldn't be spent on being paranoid about these things.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Keith D said:

Puddle Lights. Don't think mine are working, they did work but is it a light sensitive issue? or is there a switch I need to activate?

Headlights need to be set to auto and it needs to be dark outside. Otherwise they won't work. AFAIK, there's no switch for them as such

Puddle Lights. Don't think mine are working, they did work but is it a light sensitive issue? or is there a switch I need to activate?

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Headlights need to be set to auto and it needs to be dark outside. Otherwise they won't work. AFAIK, there's no switch for them as such

Thanks rayaanas that explains it, with the lighter nights etc.