Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

On 13/10/2017 at 5:25 PM, Linas.P said:

I am trying to be factual, however all depends on perspective and it is clear that we all have different ones.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, your final, sentence is a contradiction. I think you'll find that fact is based on objective evidence whereas perspective is subjective! :-) Right, I'll get my coat...............................

I already compared my car to another two 300h but both were IS. The much smoother one was 2013 model. 2017 IS was more like that of mine. Maybe facelift means cost optimization too and my car is missing something.

I complained that my engine was noisy at my last service. The mechanic suggested it was tools rattling in the boot. When I said do you think I'm stupid and pointed out what sounds like cam follower/tappet, they said it was normal.

I also have a knocking noise, which sounds like a buckled brake disc but none of the mechanics can hear it, despite friends and family hearing it. (I got new discs, pads, wheels and tyres BTW at my own expense)

So it would appear "That's perfectly normal Sir" is a ploy used by Lexus. Maybe they hope the warranty runs out before something goes bang.

I love the car but another BMW is looking like a better option for my next purchase.

My point from begging was that GS450h seems to be hidden away from main page and I found it strange. I eventually did find the car, but for me it seemed wrong that the car which is in my opinion one of the best in Lexus range is hidden like that.

It is kind of weird, because I love the looks of RC, but it has no engine option for me, equally I believe 450h would be perfect choice for the driving I am doing and my taste, but I am not particular fan of how either mk3 or mk4 GS looks. I still have remote hopes that maybe someday RC450h will be an option and if Lexus would drop GS450h that would become even more unlikely.... so I reacted a bit sensitively when it was hidden away.

8 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

At the risk of sounding pedantic, your final, sentence is a contradiction. I think you'll find that fact is based on objective evidence whereas perspective is subjective! :-) Right, I'll get my coat...............................

I have provided evidence - hence I said I am trying to be factual. However, I have pointed out that my facts can mean different things to different people, based on their perspective which is subjective, but I still accept it as their opinion e.g. 9s 0-60 is slow for me, but it might be fine for somebody else, yet it does change the fact it is 9s 0-60, or that GS weights 160kg more than IS.

On the same point I don't understand why do I need to try GS300h to know that it is slow and not adequate for what I expect. I have no complaints about space or built quality of IS300h - my single and only problem was that in my opinion it was "slow", same for RC300h. Finally, not only slow, but as well described by @marrat 450h is simply much smoother and effortless in moving rather heavy car in comparison with 300h.

Is good that you finally understood what I meant :rolleyes: 

@stevet 1730kg is not gross it is "dry" weight. For IS 1670kg is car + full tank of petrol. I have all cars as "gross", equally you can have all cars as "dry", in which case it is 1610kg vs. 1730kg.

On 14/10/2017 at 8:06 AM, Ten Ninety said:

It does seem like people either want ridiculous horsepower and bragging-rights speed (where even the GS-F fails to compete), practicality or posing potential (where the saloon bodystyle fails to compete on either count) or simply fuel efficiency (where 40mpg just doesn't cut it any more).

That is valid point and I am sure it is backed with sale numbers. A the same time this is exactly the reason why I don't have RC yet. I was considering it very seriously - but RC-F doesn't fit as daily car for me with super car associated running costs and problems, equally it was painful to drive RC300h and I cannot explain in words how much more I enjoy my IS250. As such it felt just wrong to sell the car which I like even though it is getting old and buy something which I found painful to drive.

As well you are spot on describing GS/IS300h from my perspective - I like spirited driving. I don't need RC-F or sports car, but I still want relatively quick car - which IS/GS300h isn't... hence I don't like the cars. 

One way for me to enjoy Lexus ownership right now would be to get NX300h and RC-F, but neither I have money for that nor place to keep 2 cars, the second way would be to get GS450h... but because I am not biggest fan of how it looks I am just keeping IS250 for now.

"However, I have pointed out that my facts can mean different things to different people, based on their perspective which is subjective"

Ever thought of a career in politics? 😉

Rado

"From sweet whistling car i have now a tractor with jackhammer under the bonnet. "

It sounds like its the Direct Injection pump under bonnet they are known to be noisy sometimes, there is a Pump Insulater than can be fitted to the pump in a matter of minutes and this quitens the pump ask your dealer

HTH

Robert

On 17-10-2017 at 5:52 PM, arkviz said:

As a GS300h owner I am a lot disappointed after 1,5  year of daily driving. Dashboard rattles and squeaks, engine is trashy and generates loud vibrations in almost all rpm range. Power is not an issue but, economy changed from 5.2 Liters/100km to 6.5. Maybe i have bad piece but the car is not what it was. From sweet whistling car i have now a tractor with jackhammer under the bonnet. 

So a gs300h of a year and a half old with some 20k on it where the petrol consumption all of a sudden increased and the engine started to generate loud vibrations.

Does not really sound normal does it?

If the car is still under Lexus warranty i would simply ask them to repair the dash even if it means to take it all out and come up with the source of the vibrations and of course set it right.

never let the dealerś s problem turn into your problem.. 

3 hours ago, arkviz said:

The best option for me would be to sell that car and purchase something older, cheaper, with serious engine...

GS450H of some years old or RX ?

or something else completely outside Lexus?

On 19/10/2017 at 6:08 PM, Linas.P said:

My point from begging was that GS450h seems to be hidden away from main page and I found it strange. I eventually did find the car, but for me it seemed wrong that the car which is in my opinion one of the best in Lexus range is hidden like that.

It is kind of weird, because I love the looks of RC, but it has no engine option for me, equally I believe 450h would be perfect choice for the driving I am doing and my taste, but I am not particular fan of how either mk3 or mk4 GS looks. I still have remote hopes that maybe someday RC450h will be an option and if Lexus would drop GS450h that would become even more unlikely.... so I reacted a bit sensitively when it was hidden away.

I have provided evidence - hence I said I am trying to be factual. However, I have pointed out that my facts can mean different things to different people, based on their perspective which is subjective, but I still accept it as their opinion e.g. 9s 0-60 is slow for me, but it might be fine for somebody else, yet it does change the fact it is 9s 0-60, or that GS weights 160kg more than IS.

On the same point I don't understand why do I need to try GS300h to know that it is slow and not adequate for what I expect. I have no complaints about space or built quality of IS300h - my single and only problem was that in my opinion it was "slow", same for RC300h. Finally, not only slow, but as well described by @marrat 450h is simply much smoother and effortless in moving rather heavy car in comparison with 300h.

Is good that you finally understood what I meant :rolleyes: 

@stevet 1730kg is not gross it is "dry" weight. For IS 1670kg is car + full tank of petrol. I have all cars as "gross", equally you can have all cars as "dry", in which case it is 1610kg vs. 1730kg.

That is valid point and I am sure it is backed with sale numbers. A the same time this is exactly the reason why I don't have RC yet. I was considering it very seriously - but RC-F doesn't fit as daily car for me with super car associated running costs and problems, equally it was painful to drive RC300h and I cannot explain in words how much more I enjoy my IS250. As such it felt just wrong to sell the car which I like even though it is getting old and buy something which I found painful to drive.

As well you are spot on describing GS/IS300h from my perspective - I like spirited driving. I don't need RC-F or sports car, but I still want relatively quick car - which IS/GS300h isn't... hence I don't like the cars. 

One way for me to enjoy Lexus ownership right now would be to get NX300h and RC-F, but neither I have money for that nor place to keep 2 cars, the second way would be to get GS450h... but because I am not biggest fan of how it looks I am just keeping IS250 for now.

Why don't you get the BMW 340i and be done with it?  I think you have to come to the conclusion, there is nothing like a 'PERFECT' car even a bughatti veyron is not perfect in all aspects. fast in a straight line awful around twisty roads. if Lexus introduced the RC350 and you should own one today, it will be lacking in some aspects once you have driven it for sometime every car on the road be it a 1.0L corsa, a fast electric Tesla Models S or an M5 BMW with 600bhp, is a compromise.. one can return 70-80mpg, but will have next to no performance other can hit 60 in under 4 or 5 seconds but will have reliability issues  down the line which translate to frequent dealer visits and will have harsh ride regardless of tyres fitted, others will look less flashy, be comfortable and reliable but not as fun to drive, others will have higher running costs but 'fun' to drive when you find the right road..and the list goes on...etc 

everyone has their priorities when it comes to cars examples...some place reliability as a  high priority  and mpg low. others vice versa. some place comfort higher than handling characteristics, others vice versa... some practicality than brand name....etc 

so always best to go for a car which meets 70-80 % of what you looks for and the  extra 20 - 30% will always be the compromise as there is nothing like the perfect car not the GS450h nor an RC350... 

6 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

GS450H of some years old or RX ?

or something else completely outside Lexus?

I don't know for now. I can not change car before 2019. What I surely know, i will NEVER buy an expensive 4 cylinder car anymore.

3 hours ago, arkviz said:

I don't know for now. I can not change car before 2019. What I surely know, i will NEVER buy an expensive 4 cylinder car anymore.

Why don't you park the car at the entrance of the dealer and kick up a fuss. Works very well when other customers are in the showroom too. 

These issues seem isolated to your car,  nobody else seems to complain about their 300h drivetrains

On 22-10-2017 at 11:20 AM, arkviz said:

The best option for me would be to sell that car and purchase something older, cheaper, with serious engine...

This sounds very strange to me. So you'd rather take your losses, and small those losses will not be, rather than urge the dealer to do what it's supposed to do? The problems you are describing are not normal. Don't you have consumer laws where you live?

We do have such laws, but their application in real life means no success. On the first page of manual, where warranty is described, there is an article about exclusion of increased engine vibrations and noises from warranty, as their are normal. Dealer says it is normal, so i have no other option, just drive it until it is totally worn and then change it. I don't know what is situation in Your country, but here in a land of noisy German 4 pot diesels, this is not seen as a problem by 99% of population. For me it is bad because i was driving only silent and very silent petrol cars since i got driving license in spring of 1997. 

15 minutes ago, arkviz said:

For me it is bad because i was driving only silent and very silent petrol cars since i got driving license in spring of 1997. 

could the fact that its direct injected be the issue? if this is your first petrol car with direct injection, you will notice it sounds slightly harsh/noisier than an indirect fuel injected petrol car. i noticed my IS, GS and Accord all prefer esso supreme fuels  in that they all idle quietly, acceleratde smoothly and don't sound harsh on this fuel than the standard 95RON some might disagree but i have done back to back tests between 95 shell/esso/bp and 97 esso supreme in all above cars mentioned and the difference was clear thats why i always use 97ron fuel.. try it for a week and see if it makes a difference

it still does not add up for me. My IS250 6 pot has direct injection and at idle you do hear the injectors clicking. Strange sound but not audible when revs pick up. My IS300H is just silent. No clicking and certainly no vibrations or tractor like sounds. Just silent with a deep brown tone when revs pick up not irritating at all to my ears. When i am not mistaken the GS300H has an identical drivetrain but beeing a bigger more expensive car could be more silent and refined. ( i have never driven one) .

Not sure if you really did visit the dealer as Lexus warranties are international and dealers operate under international standards. What you are describing seems very alarming and should be investigated and repaired under warranty. It is definately not something one would just let go.

Maybe you did expect a faster car with more torque and a smooth 6 cylinder engine but hey.....  Plenty of choice for that!