Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Not had the pleasure of doing an oil change yet but is that washer an OEM part as I am surprised it is not copper, 

with those sizes I expect it could be a lot cheaper from a plumbers merchants instead of from Lexus themself!

paul m.

Its the type that's been on the car when I got it - have replaced as such every oil change. No problems.

I know the diff has brass washers. Any, I presume, will do providing they meet the correct size and provide a good seal/tension

Might be tempted to get something like this ( prob not much more expensive than ONE washer from Lexus!!!) as I normally expect sump plugs to be sealed with copper or rubber/metal washers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110-Piece-Copper-Washer-Set-Oil-Sumps-Fuel-Fittings-NEW-UK-STOCK-/121680340934?epid=26004176395&hash=item1c54b6a7c6:g:G8AAAOSw8w1X9iyl

or with the same spec's as posted by is200 Newbie these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sump-Plug-Fibre-Washer-12mm-x-24mm-x-2mm-Pack-10-Part-No-36794-By-Connect-New-/132354782340?hash=item1ed0f5b484:g:XUAAAOSwI6RZ2LH0

paul m.

11 hours ago, Texas said:

Might be tempted to get something like this ( prob not much more expensive than ONE washer from Lexus!!!) as I normally expect sump plugs to be sealed with copper or rubber/metal washers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110-Piece-Copper-Washer-Set-Oil-Sumps-Fuel-Fittings-NEW-UK-STOCK-/121680340934?epid=26004176395&hash=item1c54b6a7c6:g:G8AAAOSw8w1X9iyl

or with the same spec's as posted by is200 Newbie these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sump-Plug-Fibre-Washer-12mm-x-24mm-x-2mm-Pack-10-Part-No-36794-By-Connect-New-/132354782340?hash=item1ed0f5b484:g:XUAAAOSwI6RZ2LH0

paul m.

The fibre ones from eBay are the ones I usually buy - I had quite a few last time I ordered but have finally used them all up - I will be ordering them again. The ones from Lexus are horrendous in price (for what they are) and if you specify them from the likes of Eurocar or Halfords you can only get them with the bolt and a copper washer.

You shouldn't use copper washers with alloy sumps - they can set up corrosion due to electrode potentials.

Lexus sump plug washers should be fibre with an aluminium core.

I buy sump plug washers for all my cars from www.smartearlybird.co.uk - they list the correct washers for more or less every car on the road. in fact for IS250s they list two grades - a standard one and a superior one.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/18/2017 at 7:56 AM, johnatg said:

You shouldn't use copper washers with alloy sumps - they can set up corrosion due to electrode potentials.

Lexus sump plug washers should be fibre with an aluminium core.

I buy sump plug washers for all my cars from www.smartearlybird.co.uk - they list the correct washers for more or less every car on the road. in fact for IS250s they list two grades - a standard one and a superior one.

Done an oil change yesterday and found the area around the sump plug was damp with oil after using a Smartearlybird fibre washer last time🙄

The sump is in fact a steel construction and while I did put back another smartearlybird fibre washer I’m gonna have to keep my eye on it and poss get genuine! ( all torqued to 40 Nm✔️)

30 minutes ago, Texas said:

Done an oil change yesterday and found the area around the sump plug was damp with oil after using a Smartearlybird fibre washer last time🙄

The sump is in fact a steel construction and while I did put back another smartearlybird fibre washer I’m gonna have to keep my eye on it and poss get genuine! ( all torqued to 40 Nm✔️)

That's strange - my IS250 (2006) definitely had an alloy sump. I always used the Smartearlybird fibre/aluminium washers and continue to do so on my GS300h (also alloy sump) - no problems at all.

You got me doubting myself now….

So I Just went and crawled under car to put a magnetic pick up tool on sump! Deffo steel👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 1:03 PM, Texas said:

You got me doubting myself now….

So I Just went and crawled under car to put a magnetic pick up tool on sump! Deffo steel👍

It is steel! I always struggle to put my magnetic oil plug back on because it's a really strong magnet and never wants to go back in the hole 🤣 Very good purchase for less than £20.. should there be any metal chunks floating about it will collect it. I had a quite bit on it my last oil change.. 

https://www.part-box.com/product/mishimoto-magnetic-oil-drain-plug-m12-x-1-25-lexus-is250-and-more/

remembering a few years back I had to have a brand new, from Lexus, oil sump plug and it was @£30 .....  horrified at the time ......... but after some 25 or so oil changes I s'pose it had simply " worn out " 

Malc