Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange Carpet Wear/Corrosion

I have a similar bald patch in the back of my LS400...

caused by me foolishly carrying a new Battery in the back and having to brake sharply as a kid ran across the road. Swift mop up wasn't swift enough :-(

I've got my car back. Basically they could not find anything untoward as far as the vehicle goes and it is a bit of a mystery! They told me whatever it was was pink (as can be seen in the pictures I posted) and there were traces on the seat runner.

They too queried a spillage but I will reiterate we (as in me and the wife) have not spilt anything! Even if we did drink in the car it wouldn't be something that corrosive!!

To put the carpet right would entail a whole new section which I was not willing to meet the cost of.

So there we have it. No cost to me for the two days they had it in the workshop.

At least it cannot be seen under the foot mat!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, purse3223 said:

They too queried a spillage but I will reiterate we (as in me and the wife) have not spilt anything! Even if we did drink in the car it wouldn't be something that corrosive!!

Most likely from the previous owner.

Years ago I used to take my girls to the South of France on holiday & stay in a Motel en route.

The girls always took fruit to consume as we journeyed to our holiday destination the following day.

The following Spring I found a peach stone under my drivers seat which had a 3” diameter corrosive patch around it.

Spicey food is pink !

Tel

Is it vaguely possible that there could be something coming up from underneath the car ? I had a roughly similar problem with a classic Mercedes, 1991, where the bolt holding the inside mounting seat locator on the rear of the seat started to corrode the carpet and it turned out that water from under the car was slowly getting in through the threaded bolt hole in the floor.

I cured it by cleaning the under carpet metal floor, cleaning the carpet and then sealing the thread through the floor with a thread sealer.

Parkman.