Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2008 gs450h

archie54

Hi,

i'm looking to get a replacement car for our current bmw 318d which has been rubbish, i have seen a few gs450h cars for sale

i really like the look of them and would like some advice on the Battery and any recalls they have had, also things to look out for during a test drive 

the model i'm looking at has done 75k one owner car and apparently the previous owner has maintained the car to a high standard regardless of cost.

after reading the replacement Battery can cost 4k is making me think twice so if anyone can help and put my mind at ease that would be great.

At 75k I can’t see you having any problems with the Battery. They are very reliable and each individual cell can be changed rather than the whole lot. If I had a 75k miles BMW I’d be more worried about the engine or gearbox going.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Dougie.

I had a similar decision earlier this year and opted to 'take the plunge' and purchase my GS 450H. I have had no regrets and enjoy the car every time we use it.

The cars are pretty well made and I think the hybrid, large engine and CVT all contribute to an unstressed and generally reliable steed. The cars are packed full of tech tho so you are wise to be prepared for the possibility of a big bill. The likelihood of an expensive repair are pretty low tho compared to other marks.

Don't worry too much about the Hybrid element, Toyota/Lexus have had years to make the system pretty robust. Lexis dealers can provide an annual warranty on the Hybrid components on cars up to 10 years old. This is done as part of the service or can be purchased separately for around £70 if you service the vehicle elsewhere. Battery's can also be repaired by established independents e.g. check Hybrid Battery Solutions.

The dampers are prone to leak and the exhausts rot at the rear most Y section (visible from the rear bumper) and/or rear mufflers.

Hunt around for a well looked after car and I would hope that you would enjoy many miles of happy motoring.

Good luck.

cheers for all your information guys i think i'm going to take the plunge and get it ! reading other owner reviews seem to put them above the german rivals!

i've had an audi a6 sline which i thought was poorly made a bmw 530d msport that i loved and got remapped that car could shift!!  but as you said steve had to fix a gear box problem which cost a fortune and soured the car for me so fingers crossed this will be a great car to own, what about the boot space do you guys find it a problem apparently it's a bit on the small side for the size of the car? 

I'd say go for it if you have found a good example. Like all cars they do go wrong sometimes and unfortunately they can cost a little bit more than others to put right when they do.

As with Steve above I also don't see an issue regarding the batteries. There are threads on here from owners who have unfortunately suffered from hybrid Battery problems but, as Lee says above, there are some independents who can rectify most problems for a fraction of what Lexus would charge. The hybrid batteries have their own cooling system which vents through the rear parcel shelf so one of the most important thing is that these vents are not obstructed by placing anything on it. I would also add that my car is 11 years old has just had it's 11th annual service from Lexus and was given a Hybrid health check certificate. I don't think it is a warranty as such but merely a certificate to confirm that the hybrid batteries are in good condition and the system is operating as it should.

I would also advise to watch out for sticking brake calipers, especially the rears. Again there are threads on here about this. I myself have had all four calipers replaced during my ownership and only last week had another OSR replaced, the previous one lasting 3 years and 16k! However I am taking this further but that's another story.

About 3 years ago the 450h was subject to a recall for a fuel pressure modification. If there is no paperwork to say this has been done a phone call to any Lexus dealer will tell you whether the model you are inquiring about was part of the recall and whether the work has been done or not.

Also check the bonnet as some early ones had a habit of corroding from the inside out, especially on the edges at the front. Mine was replaced under the anti-corrosion warranty two years ago. However, if the model you are looking at has been looked after as well as claimed these things I have mentioned may never have been a problem, or, have already been addressed.

Finally I would say read the forums on here. There is a wealth of information and advice and usually someone who can help you with any questions you have.

Good luck with your potential purchase.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, archie54 said:

...what about the boot space do you guys find it a problem apparently it's a bit on the small side for the size of the car? 

Yes, the gen3 Hybrid GS has a smaller trunk than the non Hybrid but we've been able to work around that without any major hassle, there are just the two of us. 

We've made a few trips to the continent, last week we were away in north Yorkshire and easily get a couple of cases/etc in the boot. 

This summer we took more than enough clobber for 2 weeks (we always seem to take too much gear) and just put a few bits on the back seat. We weren't packed to the roof line either!

I too was a little worried about storage and bought a roof rack early on but other than trial fitting it hasn't been brought into use.  If you have kids or are more than 2 up then I suspect you might need additional stowage space and I may to get/rent a roof box at some point.

There was another recall already mentioned by member Chris111 for a fuel pressure regulator "possible fuel leak". This work can still be carried out free of charge with use of a courtesy car if needed. I had my 2007 done a few months ago.

John. 

I bought my GS450 back in July, a 2008 SE-L with radar cruise and a sunroof.

I’m not someone who is a Lexus fanatic and I can easily see me owning another BMW or MB one day, so my enthusiasm for my GS is not wrapped up in some misplaced tribalism.

I was considering CLS350s and 530Ds before getting the Lexus, but I didn’t fancy a diesel and you simply get more kit on the GS than either of the other cars I was looking at.

You can buy a very comprehensive Lexus warranty for £1100 for two year years which may be worth doing. I’ll do that once my 12 months approved used warranty runs out.

Quick, reliable, comfy. You can do a lot worse than a GS450.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 2