Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS 300h bumper protector.

Hi, I am looking for some advice or information regarding a stainless steel bumper protection panel.

I did see that there was a thread a while ago regarding a couple of bumper protection items, a clear item, and a black abs item. There was a silver abs item from RGM [I think it is called] but none of them are stainless steel. There are a few items listed, mainly in the States, for cars such as the NX or the RX, but nothing in stainless for the IS.

The only possibility that I have seen is in a brochure from Inchcape Lexus for a stainless steel protector for RC coupe. Looking at the picture of the RC I wonder whether this stainless steel item will fit the IS 300h. From the picture the rear of the two cars look the same, but perhaps some-one with more knowledge of these cars may be able to advise on this ?

Parkman.

9 minutes ago, parkman said:

Hi, I am looking for some advice or information regarding a stainless steel bumper protection panel.

I did see that there was a thread a while ago regarding a couple of bumper protection items, a clear item, and a black abs item. There was a silver abs item from RGM [I think it is called] but none of them are stainless steel. There are a few items listed, mainly in the States, for cars such as the NX or the RX, but nothing in stainless for the IS.

The only possibility that I have seen is in a brochure from Inchcape Lexus for a stainless steel protector for RC coupe. Looking at the picture of the RC I wonder whether this stainless steel item will fit the IS 300h. From the picture the rear of the two cars look the same, but perhaps some-one with more knowledge of these cars may be able to advise on this ?

Parkman.

The RC one won't fit properly due to the contours of the bumpers being different.

If you look carefully at the cross section of the rear bumper on the RC, the lip is horizontal at first and curves straight away. On the IS, the cross section is horizontal, then theres a slight decline and then it becomes vertical.

hpp-worktop-profiles-jpg?sequence=612952

Excuse the crude picture of worktops but it illustrates the bumpers well. The RC has a single pencil round. On the other hand, the IS has a single bevel edge. 

Additionally, I don't think the RC has a stainless steel plate as an option. Its the same brushed alloy look that is available for the IS from RGM. The stainless steel plates are labelled as such and usually have sipes in them.

Hi, thanks for your information. It is a bit difficult to see the differences in the bumper edge, from the brochure pictures.

Apparently, the stainless item is an abs fitting with a thin S Steel surface plate bonded on. Interestingly enough, the same item is listed in a Canadian Lexus brochure, but for the RC again.

So Inchcape Lexus must have a very similar brochure to the Canadian one, except the Inchcape one is separately by model, whereas the Canadian one is for all the models in one brochure.

I have e-mailed a company in Japan who advertise a polished S Steel item, with the "Lexus" name inscribed into it. The only thing is that on their website it is only listed for the NX and the CT. But maybe they do do a version for the IS and it just isn't shown.

Failing that, as a last resort, I may just order the clear protector, which I have seen, again, with the "Lexus" name inscribed into it. I have seen this item advertised by Lexus dealers both in Canada and the US. I'm not sure whether it is available in the UK, though.

It's a pity that Lexus don't have a S Steel protector for the IS, in the UK, as I think that it looks very smart.

The other thing that I am looking into is finding cream or ivory carpets for my IS. It seems that at one time Lexus did have an accessory of ivory mats but that option is now dis-continued, why I don't know. I had a very nice set from Jaguar in my XJR, and they looked very nice with the Jaguar cream leather interior.

My car has ivory leather and black carpets, but to be honest I would prefer cream or ivory over-mats, but at the moment it looks like I will have buy a third party supplier set. Pity.

Parkman.

Hi Tel, is it possible to attach a picture, please ?

Having had a further root about on the internet I see that Lexus Parts Direct, Fish Brothers, have the metallic style abs bumper protector. I hadn't actually found that item up until now.

Maybe you could give your opinion of what it is like. How robust is it, and how long do you think that it will last.

Parkman.

Lexus UK website https://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/is/accessories/#othermodels

Stainless Steel £165 - assume you can get it from a dealer. I have a black plastic one on mine that was fitted by the Lexus dealer but I don't think they do black anymore.

Also this popped up in Google: https://www.carnoisseur.com/products/details/rgm-rgm-rearguard-to-fit-lexus-is-series?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkJHCicL11gIVRZ8bCh2aiwGQEAQYASABEgJBkPD_BwE

Or clear film: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Lexus-Rear-Bumper-Protection-Film-04-13-Present-PZ438C138000-/262303659052?hash=item3d1284342c 

Tried twice 2 send you picture but must learn how to send 1 image instead of a whole file !

Mine came as part of the Protection Kit & enhances the rear end as the 2017 has metallic flashes built into the lower corners of the bumper.

However, the protector's metallic centre section can easily be scuffed .Had one scare already.

Tel

Again, many thanks for the messages.

Terry, thanks for the thoughts on your 2017 item. I have to suppose that all the metal protectors will mark just as easily as yours.

I am going to follow up on Phil's suggestion, the one listed as a stainless steel protector, priced at £165. 

I will be interested to see whether any of the Japanese suppliers get back to me. I saw an original set of [possibly] ivory, or at least not black, carpets listed by JZ Accessories with a really strange price - Yen 46,000, which works out at about €3800 !!!! I am thinking that they give you a car along with the carpets !!! Surely it has to be a typo.

Edit - According to a different website and joint pricing Yen/Euro it is more likely that the price is really about €150 !!!!

Parkman.

Edited by parkman
Add information.

Stephen, I have had a look through the internet several times, and fairly diligently, but I have found only two items. One is from RGM Rearguard, and another from Lexus themselves.

Do you have any links to sites who have stainless steel for the IS 300h [or IS 250] at this present time ? The only places that I can find who tend to stock stainless bumper protectors are mostly in the States. Also, I have found one or two dealers in Japan who used to stock stainless steel items but no longer do so.

Parkman.

On 17/10/2017 at 6:55 PM, parkman said:

Stephen, I have had a look through the internet several times, and fairly diligently, but I have found only two items. One is from RGM Rearguard, and another from Lexus themselves.

Do you have any links to sites who have stainless steel for the IS 300h [or IS 250] at this present time ? The only places that I can find who tend to stock stainless bumper protectors are mostly in the States. Also, I have found one or two dealers in Japan who used to stock stainless steel items but no longer do so.

Parkman.

AFAIK RGM make the bumper guards for Lexus.

There is a possibility that they just havent updated the website yet so might be worth giving them a call unless Lexus have changed supplier

• Like 1

14 hours ago, parkman said:

Rayaan, do you know if there actually is a Lexus IS stainless steel bumper protector available anywhere - before I give up the search ?

Parkman.

Its available from Lexus as someone pointed out earlier in the thread for the 2017 model which should fit the earlier models too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parkman said:

Rayaan, of course, I had forgotten about that. I will have to get onto to local dealer guy in Chester, next week, and see what he says.

Parkman.

I believe Lexus Birmingham do some good prices on accessories, may be worth giving them a call

Hi, thanks for all the advice and suggestions in relation to a stainless steel bumper protector.

I have now given up on the bumper protector. As I can't find a stainless steel item I am not going to look any further. I had my local Lexus dealer get in the silver ABS protector and I have rarely seen such a rubbish piece of kit.

It is really thin, whippy, plastic[ABS] and it looked as if it had been painted with an old, stiff, paint brush. There was a surface which looked all the world as if the cheap plastic was painted with a bad brush, and the paint had pulled, leaving just lines on the surface.

How anyone would sell a piece of stuff like this for £99 is unbelievable, even the store man who showed it to me admitted that he would put it on his car ! That really said it all for me. Cheap junk that would not last, and would make the back of the car look terrible.

I can't understand why Lexus make a stainless steel item for all the other ranges but nothing for the IS range. I can't find an answer, either, because I have found it impossible to find an e-mail address for Lexus Japan. They seem to not have an address publicly available so that you can't contact them directly. Bad business, in my opinion.

So no bumper protector :wub:

Parkman.

7 hours ago, parkman said:

Hi, thanks for all the advice and suggestions in relation to a stainless steel bumper protector.

I have now given up on the bumper protector. As I can't find a stainless steel item I am not going to look any further. I had my local Lexus dealer get in the silver ABS protector and I have rarely seen such a rubbish piece of kit.

It is really thin, whippy, plastic[ABS] and it looked as if it had been painted with an old, stiff, paint brush. There was a surface which looked all the world as if the cheap plastic was painted with a bad brush, and the paint had pulled, leaving just lines on the surface.

How anyone would sell a piece of stuff like this for £99 is unbelievable, even the store man who showed it to me admitted that he would put it on his car ! That really said it all for me. Cheap junk that would not last, and would make the back of the car look terrible.

I can't understand why Lexus make a stainless steel item for all the other ranges but nothing for the IS range. I can't find an answer, either, because I have found it impossible to find an e-mail address for Lexus Japan. They seem to not have an address publicly available so that you can't contact them directly. Bad business, in my opinion.

So no bumper protector :wub:

Parkman.

Just get the black plastic one if you really need it. However, we've had the IS for 2 years now and mainly used for shopping and school run. 

It doesn't readily get scratches on the bumper unless you're being really careless as it has a lip so you can't just drag across it

Hi, I completely agree with you on this. I have not scratched it as yet, but the reason that I would have liked the stainless steel protector is because we quite often have relations whom we drop to the local airport when they their cars at our house, while on holiday, and it is just the possibility of damage occurring when putting cases in and out of the boot.

As you rightly say, it is just a case of being careful and I don't have a problem with doing just that.

Parkman

i bought one of the black abs protectors as i scratched the top of my bumper when putting a kiddies bike in the boot,

the handle bars swung round and caught the top, the protector covers the scratch well ,the annoying part is that i was

giving the bike away for nothing to a work mate and ended up costing me money.

Don`t want to be funny, but both my lexus when purchased came from dealer with smart insurance cover for cost £499 for three years which means I'm covered for minor damages and can claim it with excess of £10 and it won`t affect my no claims cos it`s separate thing. On my first CT200h somebody scratched rear bumper and that was fixed by smart insurance company. Next door from my workplace is auhorised jemca body repair shop they said it would cost me £300 + vat to fix at least. 

Anybody of us soon or late will have minor scratches/damages on the car and I think sometimes we are getting to much paranoid how we can protect our babies from obvious circumstances which will leave impact on car. Yes I do agree heart shivers even when somebody reversing close to your car, but thats the life. My suggestion if you are not doing any upgrade/tuning to parts, just get yourself separate cover from minor damages and sleep well...

10 hours ago, parkman said:

Hi, I completely agree with you on this. I have not scratched it as yet, but the reason that I would have liked the stainless steel protector is because we quite often have relations whom we drop to the local airport when they their cars at our house, while on holiday, and it is just the possibility of damage occurring when putting cases in and out of the boot.

As you rightly say, it is just a case of being careful and I don't have a problem with doing just that.

Parkman

Also worth remembering that Lexus do a paint protection film for the rear as well so you could get one of those if you wanted and they should keep it scratch free

• Like 1