Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, Folks,

Just joined, but been a lurker for a while.

To that end, I have today put a deposit down on a 2008 GS450h - this one in fact...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-LEXUS-GS450H-SE-AUTO-GREEN-/322799133127?hash=item4b2853e1c7%3Ag%3AkSQAAOSw8HBZLp4y&nma=true&si=u2VGKpQIvHT7G3amGE3uPYT0DBc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

image.thumb.png.6ed7a3a80402dee39ce256a3c5e41714.png

Finally, Thanks to all the contributors on the site - you've helped me with the LS, and with my new-to-me GS!

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to the LOC. We are a friendly bunch so please don’t hold back asking questions big or small should you have any problems with your car. We always welcome ideas on how to overcome problems with our cars but as they are the finest cars in the universe they don’t go wrong that often.

We always love to see pictures of your cars inside and out so don't be shy.

Happy Lexus Motoring.

Mike.

Hi, Lee,

Hoping to pick it up on Friday - will have new MOT and 12V Battery. I suppose it could do with one new alloy (kerbed - ugly but safe)

I am not 100% sure what options it has yet. After reading an online owners manual (USA / Canada version) I'm going to have a lot of checking to do!

• Like 1

I'm just having a bit of a wobble after it occurred to me that the transaction might not be straightforward:

Seller is a garage, but says he's selling for an old friend who has stopped driving due to Alzheimers. I've seen the V5 and service records, and it appears the garage has other documents said to relate to change from cherished plates and possibly original receipts &c.

I've paid a deposit by credit card to the garage, but I'm now wondering who I should be paying, who should give me a receipt, who signs the V5 &c....

What would the panel do?

Hi

If you have paid a deposit to the garage then It would appear the Garage is the seller.

If he is merely advertising then really the seller (person on the V5) should be present for you to deal with in which case it would be a private sale.

Update:

I've just spoken to the garage and they say they will arrange a letter from the owner's daughter "confirming" authority to sell.

It really does sound as though the garage is doing a favour for an old friend.

59 minutes ago, stevet said:

If it goes through the garage you are entitled to 3 months warranty. If private nothing, so worth checking.

Not sure that's correct according to this:

No warranty at all?

It is not illegal for a trader to sell a car without a warranty, and this is fairly common on very cheap used cars (less than a couple of thousand pounds). Unlike your statutory rights, a dealer can offer you a discount in return for waiving the warranty. However, you should be very wary of any dealer who makes this offer, as it is making you financially responsible for any fault which occurs in the car but is not significant enough to warrant rejection.

The above text was copied from here.

6 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

Not sure that's correct according to this:

No warranty at all?

It is not illegal for a trader to sell a car without a warranty, and this is fairly common on very cheap used cars (less than a couple of thousand pounds). Unlike your statutory rights, a dealer can offer you a discount in return for waiving the warranty. However, you should be very wary of any dealer who makes this offer, as it is making you financially responsible for any fault which occurs in the car but is not significant enough to warrant rejection.

The above text was copied from here.

"a dealer can offer you a discount in return for waiving the warranty" Are you getting a discount? I would be very wary of a dealer offering no warranty.

It looks like the garage is acting as agent in this transaction and is not the owner,they could well be doing a favour for the owner in pursing a sale for the vehicle and to that end take no responsibility for the history or forward guarantee's to the vehicle in question .The fact you have paid a deposit to the garage may be a convenience to the owner who will collect the payments from the garage.

The top and tail of it at the moment is this is a private sale as long as the v5 comes straight from the present owner and they are named on the transfer of title .

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I have seen "Trade" sales with no warranty on AutoTrader.

A "Trade sale" is when any items pass between two or more professional traders, the items do not have to have any similarity.

30 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

What I do not like is when an advert "appears" to be from a trader and then it transpires it is a Private Sale. I am suspicious when the advert does not make this clear.

I think what matters in law in your case is at what point did the trader tell you he was selling 'on behalf' of someone, ie before money changed hands or after money had changed hands

HPI check of course  ?

Check on the credentials of the garage

check with the registered owner/keeper of the car that it is genuinely being sold

get the garage to give you a Complimentary Warranty with whatever is a good warranty company

If all the above stacks-up then you could be OK  :unsure:

Malc

I'm old enough to know that a warranty from a back-street garage is worth exactly the paper its printed on. 

In this case, the "garage" is in fact a body-shop and doesn't do mechanical work (I asked, as I thought he might be able to do some work on my LS400).

It became clear early on that he was selling for a friend (I asked about a warranty). I just wasn't aware at the time of the ramifications of that fact.

I am not convinced an HPI check would be worth it - especially as their terms and conditions (for the warranty) state: "You must buy at the private seller's address as shown on the V5, and confirm their identity". I've done / will do the checks re. MOT & mileage history, Service History, Reg. No. vs. VIN.

I think I've done enough now to go ahead with the deal.