Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Moving off when in idle

Hi everyone, I have a 250, when I get in the car each morning for the school run. Is it best to let the car go into idle mode, or move off straight away when starting the engine.

Thanks.

John.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

sorry.... you jump in your car and just go??? you dont even let the car warm up for like 10 -15 minutes before???

No, letting it warm up for 15 minutes is not something I've ever heard of before. Is that what you do with yours?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, kellogsj said:

When the engine settles after ignition to 800-100 revs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you rev the engine while its ticking over at 1200 rpm the revs will drop.

11 hours ago, thenapster305 said:

sorry.... you jump in your car and just go??? you dont even let the car warm up for like 10 -15 minutes before???

Haha! Anyone heard of irony?!

But to answer the original question - it's better to go straight away - that warms the engine up more quickly, which is better. An IS250 engine will take a long time to warm up at idle with 10 litres of coolant. But drive gently until the engine has at least started to warm up according to the temperature gauge - use light throttle and keep the revs down. You may have noticed that the auto box doesn't use 6th gear until it too has warmed up.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, johnatg said:

But to answer the original question - it's better to go straight away - that warms the engine up more quickly, which is better. An IS250 engine will take a long time to warm up at idle with 10 litres of coolant. But drive gently until the engine has at least started to warm up according to the temperature gauge - use light throttle and keep the revs down. You may have noticed that the auto box doesn't use 6th gear until it too has warmed up.

at all the garages i've worked at the mechanics always agreed with this.

they said that one thing people don't think of when letting their car warm up(engine), is that when they then pull away, is that nothing else is at a similar temp, most importantly the gearbox.

a little mechanical sympathy for the 1st part of the drive is a much more effective way of warming the engine and gearbox

• Like 4

Thanks for your help. I'll shall do this from now on. [emoji1362]

at all the garages i've worked at the mechanics always agreed with this.
they said that one thing people don't think of when letting their car warm up(engine), is that when they then pull away, is that nothing else is at a similar temp, most importantly the gearbox.
a little mechanical sympathy for the 1st part of the drive is a much more effective way of warming the engine and gearbox

Thanks a lot lads, you's have been a great help. [emoji1360]

I would double on what @johnatg said. What I tend to do myself is to let the car idle for 10-15s (seconds not minutes), so that it can circulate the oil on things like valve lifters etc. before pulling away. Then drive rather carefully until engine gets to optimal temp... if I can.

• Like 1

I wait the 15-20 secs or so until the fast idle enters "phase 2", when the revs will drop from the initial 1500 RPM to approx 1200, before setting off.

Unless there's a significant reason (frozen windscreen, mirrors) to wait any longer, you're just wasting fuel.

• Like 1

I wait the 15-20 secs or so until the fast idle enters "phase 2", when the revs will drop from the initial 1500 RPM to approx 1200, before setting off.
Unless there's a significant reason (frozen windscreen, mirrors) to wait any longer, you're just wasting fuel.

Thanks. [emoji1362]