Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Although I like a quiet LS.....

I think , of course, Mike means 'coarse'.

But not if you're 17 yrs old?  Otherwise......my neighbour once told me he liked 'not hearing you as you drive by'!

Leave noise to Subaru/Skyline hoons?

I guess, once electric cars come in, there'll be a digital choice of pretend exhaust noise.

Minis like Mustangs?

I thank my learned friend off course for pointing out I wasn't coarse enough.

23 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

I think , of course, Mike means 'coarse'.

But not if you're 17 yrs old?  Otherwise......my neighbour once told me he liked 'not hearing you as you drive by'!

Leave noise to Subaru/Skyline hoons?

I guess, once electric cars come in, there'll be a digital choice of pretend exhaust noise.

Minis like Mustangs?

The only time electric cars will be a serious mode of transport( this is just my opinion) is if you can charge them up wirelessly. Something the Battery car lot seem to have forgotten What happens to all the cars that are plugged into their charging points and late one night along comes little Johnny, drunk and as high as a kite with his mates out come all the charging cables. If you have a nice private drive with gates or garage then you will be OK but for huge numbers of people who live in the inner towns and cities, you won't have a chance in hell of the electric car succeeding.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bluesman said:

A little off course again, of course! But never coarse-a man of refinement and taste!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bluesman said:

The only time electric cars will be a serious mode of transport( this is just my opinion) is if you can charge them up wirelessly. Something the battery car lot seem to have forgotten What happens to all the cars that are plugged into their charging points and late one night along comes little Johnny, drunk and as high as a kite with his mates out come all the charging cables. If you have a nice private drive with gates or garage then you will be OK but for huge numbers of people who live in the inner towns and cities, you won't have a chance in hell of the electric car succeeding.

A subject for separate posting perhaps, but you're right.

Me, I have cul-de-sac off-street space AND a garage...da-dah! (And lovely view across Avon valley to fields.......)

• Like 1

I seem to remember a while ago reading of a system whereby there was a flap (or two) in the exhaust which when a switch was activated on the dash,the flaps would open and give the sound desired. With flaps closed the exhaust would sound normal. I personally prefer the quietness of my MK3, but every now and then I get the wind up my jacksy and would love to hear a mighty 'burble' even for just a few seconds,then shut the flaps again. 

A long time ago I had a V8 Range Rover with a decaying exhaust,she sounded lovely - until the Plods gave me a tug.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

Or maybe an analogue version using a peg and a piece of card just like I did in my youth with my bike!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whispers  so he doesnt get stonned by the purists 

I am so far missing both rear boxes and the first box. I didnt want to loose the front  one but i had a replacement  y section made from stainless so it just went

Ita a little boomy at 60 towing the caravan  but has a nice burble while pottering about. 

I also had a valve  put in before the boxes opened via remote control keyfob  and that was fun till i broke it. The valve thing not the ls

On 18/10/2017 at 4:33 PM, Ala Larj said:

Or maybe an analogue version using a peg and a piece of card just like I did in my youth with my bike!

Me too, always an old fag packet!

A Lexus should always be the car that passes and folk say ..... what was that whisper. Why else would one drive one?

It is called class and subtle elegance.

• Like 2

What I like about the LS is it does waft along in near silence.

But when you floor it the cabin fills with a lovely v8 thrum.

Now what people outside hear, I am not bothered about.

And compared to my MDs Aston Martin, which sounds like a angry wasp when pottering, and Kim Jong Un versus Trump going head to head when floored, I suspect the LS engine could never be that uncouth.

• Like 1

The exhaust note should match the car. A luxury LS should be very muted, a Ford Mustang should not be muted at all; more coarse if you like.

The burble of an AMG Mercedes takes some beating.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

I'd like this sound - but no longer available and a pair cost more than the car .

I do like the sound, not too keen on the look though.

You need to stop putting pictures on the forum, I don't look good in green!  The pre-facelift doesn't have exposed exhausts, but I had them fitted to my previous one, and it made such a difference to the look of the rear end. The only thing stopping me doing it again is traveling the 12 miles to Brighton.  Maybe next week!

• Like 1