Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

For info....

Interested if anyone takes this offer up..... is it just another angle on dealer discount for new vehicle?

http://lexus.cmail20.com/t/ViewEmail/y/B18B299D38994586/36B67337B4CB9A9AA7F290B8E8FDC6A0

It’s official. The Lexus Scrappage Scheme is now live and we’re thrilled to offer our customers the chance to claim up to £4000 off any new car purchased when trading in a qualifying vehicle.

The scheme itself is simple. Trade in your old car for a brand new one. But there’s quite a lot of information to digest on how it works. We’ve highlighted the salient points below so you can check, at a glance, the benefits and eligibility criteria.

There’s up to £4000 to claim off the price of each new car purchase.

The scheme makes buying a luxury car from Lexus easier than ever before.

The initiative will run until 31 December 2017.

New cars become more affordable when part exchanging for the bonus £4000.

Trade in vehicles must have been registered prior to 31 December 2009.

By trading in an older, less efficient model, you’re helping to reduce harmful emissions.

With Listers Lexus you need to have owned your car for at least six months prior to trading in.

We know your time is valuable. Listers will sort everything for you including checking the criteria and eligibility, completing the application forms and all associated paperwork so all you’ve got to do is choose which model is best for you!

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

**** sorry should be 'Scrappage'

14 hours ago, Vintagesixtysix said:

is it just another angle on dealer discount for new vehicle?

I think they all are so yes. But that's no bad thing if you can do away with all that "negotiating" nonsense.

Since this new round of scrappage schemes started I have wondered what a dealer would say if you demanded your £4k or whatever off and had no car to scrap. If they're disposing of the vehicles as many are saying they will then surely they can offer the same discount to someone just walking in from the street. Smoke and mirrors. It's one of the reasons I lease.

Interesting thought about walk in no car....
I had to smile the other day when we visited a supermarket that's next to Citroen garage..... they had a very old model on a raised outdoor display ..... saying this car is worth £4K!

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

If I was looking to purchase new (and I can't remember the last time I did) it would be my first question. And then I suppose if the list price less eg £4k is the new baseline trying to get something more out of the salesman could be classed as sport.

All nonsense anyway, leasing or 3rd party PCPs has to be preferred for most people. Let some big buyer negotiate the discounts for you. Afterall, they want your business. The distinct impression I get from most dealers is they couldn't care less either way.

"If it appreciates, buy it. If it depreciates, lease it." Widely attributed to J Paul Getty but I think I'm going a bit off the original topic.

Yeah I guess that is just another way of saying Part Exchange i.e if you have literally perfect 2009 Lexus, only then you can expect maximum £4000 discount. However, if you have such car you might get better deal elsewhere, so it is PX capped at £4000. Equally at the lower end they will simply offer you standard PX price. Furthermore , I guess this applies only if you buy your next car for list price (which almost always negotiable otherwise)... so win-win for them lose-lose for you.

I guess that somewhat works if you have no time or experience selling and no nerve to negotiate new one... and you car is worth somewhere between £2000-3000. Not going to get that money, but potentially going to get better deal than normal PX. The only car this could be aimed to is 2006-2008 IS220d - the car fairly new and good on paper, but low value due to all the issue. This means you might be able to get the £4000 cap on car which you would struggle to sell for that money. Still I don't see any way to get better value than selling you car privately for cash...

Interesting way of putting and offer through... maybe some people even going to get caught in that.

29 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

i.e if you have literally perfect 2009 Lexus, only then you can expect maximum £4000 discount. However, if you have such car you might get better deal elsewhere, so it is PX capped at £4000. Equally at the lower end they will simply offer you standard PX price.

I don't think that's right. With these scrappage schemes it depends what car you're buying, not what you're trading in. If the car qualifies and you're buying a very expensive new Lexus, you'll get £4k off (even if your trade in is an ancient banger). Buy a cheaper new car and you'll only get a proportion.

I would think it would be based more on the car you scrapping PX value, not on the car you buying value (obviously just a guess). That is because unlike government scrappage scheme Lexus can and will resell the cars. Now again... I might be wrong and I must admit I haven't even looked at T&C (thought there are no link for any other details).

It would feel almost right if the go with: "scrap any IS220d and get unconditional £4000 discount, or any other Lexus older than 2009 and get up-to £4000". Then they environmental goal and their brand image would improve drastically. 

Most scrappage schemes do promise to scrap the traded-in car. Not sure if that promise is always kept, and it can lead to the loss of some perfectly good cars. But it's what they usually say.

PS - if you have to buy a £60K or more car to get £4K off -it's not  a great deal, is it? Or maybe you don't tell them about your trade in until after you've negotiated a price!

I believe the government subsidy is £1,500 so if your car is worth any more than this you are better off selling it privately. The rest of the discount is just marketing nonsense where more expensive cars have a bigger discount.

I agree with earlier posts, the government should pay you £1500/£2000 to take your old motor to the scrapie, bypass the auto makers and get some of the worst polluting vehicles off the road - and I mean the worst, not your mint 2009 Lexus 250 with 50k on it 😂

I think that is top tip then-  "Get the deal you want and then top-it with trade-in".

You are right when it comes to government scrappage, but I see no legal grounds which would force Lexus to take cars of the road. It is likely they won't re-sell the cars themselves (that is purely because most of the cars will not be fit for "Lexus used approved" status), but not like they going to all the cars to scrapyard and shred them.

For example my current car was similar type of thing - it was PX'ed to IS300h, but because it had over 100k miles Lexus didn't bother to deal with re-selling it. Instead they passed the car to local dealer at "trade price" from whom I bought it. I was told he was taking high miles trade-in's from Lexus quite often and almost in bulk. 

Now again - I don't know the details and there are nothing else in the offer, not T&C to confirm my guesses, but I just see this "Lexus Scrappage" as alternative way of saying "capped PX" ~ maybe with little bit more favourable price.

25 minutes ago, Ben1001 said:

I believe the government subsidy is £1,500 so if your car is worth any more than this you are better off selling it privately. The rest of the discount is just marketing nonsense where more expensive cars have a bigger discount.

I agree with earlier posts, the government should pay you £1500/£2000 to take your old motor to the scrapie, bypass the auto makers and get some of the worst polluting vehicles off the road - and I mean the worst, not your mint 2009 Lexus 250 with 50k on it 😂

Pretty sure there is no govt subsidy - they muted the idea of a scrapage scheme, but it was delayed until the autumn budget

2 hours ago, Vintagesixtysix said:

Of course it says .... "up to " ....

Just hypothesis....

So would I have to buy a £50k plus RX, etc to get £4K off?

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Taken from Autocar

The brand is offering £3500 off the CT or IS, or £4000 off the NX and RX SUVs when a petrol or diesel model of any brand registered before the end of 2009 is traded in. The traded-in car must have been registered to the current owner for more than six months. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mikeyb999 said:

Pretty sure there is no govt subsidy - they muted the idea of a scrapage scheme, but it was delayed until the autumn budget

That is right - nothing to do with Government, just Lexus offer on certain model in their line-up.

40 minutes ago, Ben1001 said:

and I mean the worst..

That is pretty much every second diesel car on the road. I am amazed how many cars are equipped with "smoke screens", even fairly new cars.. not a single petrol thought. 

I guess this gives good idea:

http://media.toyota.co.uk/2017/08/toyota-scrappage-scheme-opens-new-route-cleaner-motoring/

“What’s more, everyone who takes up our scrappage scheme can be assured their vehicle will be disposed of in an environmentally responsible fashion that maximises recycling opportunities.”

Stops short of saying cars will be taken of the road. From what I know regarding disposal and recycling... the most environmentally friendly ways is to "re-use", which would equal re-sale via 3rd channel. As this is not government funds I don't believe we going to see any cars being scrapped unless they are deemed to be not road worthy (in which way they would probably do not qualify for scrappage scheme anyway).

OK here is more:

http://www.westovergroup.co.uk/lexus/new-car-offers/scrappage/

It seems Lexus trying to up-sale, as only cars with "Premier" package are eligible with this scheme. According to above the cars will actually be scrapped by Autogreen:

https://www.rewardingrecycling.co.uk

On 18/10/2017 at 9:46 PM, Linas.P said:

OK here is more:

http://www.westovergroup.co.uk/lexus/new-car-offers/scrappage/

It seems Lexus trying to up-sale, as only cars with "Premier" package are eligible with this scheme. According to above the cars will actually be scrapped by Autogreen:

https://www.rewardingrecycling.co.uk

I don't think thats specifically true

Motorline Lexus are doing it on Sport models

http://www.motorline.co.uk/lexus/offers/scrappage-scheme/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

The information is pretty scarce... I guess different groups of dealerships does it on the trim they find hardest to sell. I would assume that would be premier... 

I'm not sure. It should really be across all trim levels. Guess we'll only find out if someone decides to scrap their car for a Lexus

We that is quite clearly not the case for Motorline or Westover groups which list only specific trim as eligible. I personally find dealership a weakest link in Lexus experience, that is specifically because Lexus cannot really control what end-user gets. That is not to say that it would be better if Lexus would have direct control like Tesla, but it is still potentially the weakest link.

43 minutes ago, Malc said:

Lexus are a little late to the show tbh .......  a local main dealer to me ( can't remember the brand ) is offering £7000 scrappage

Malc

They've been offering this since the other manufacturers started it - so not exactly late to the show. 

I bet the £7000 won't be on a car worth £20-30k as well