Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hub Bearing

IanA2

I've just been told by MoT tester that a rear hub bearing needs replacing. 

There was no advisory on this last year, only 2500 miles in the past year and there have been no indications that the bearing was near the end of its life. 

Any views on this? I thought bearings wore gradually. Also the tyres were all changed a few months ago and my tyre guy (I'm pretty sure he would have noticed a

dodgy bearing) said nothing.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here or is this perfectly normal?

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks folks.

Is it possible that potholes could be responsible? I have a quarter of a mile of them in and out of my  house. Might that explain the sudden failure?

There is normally some sort of indication  over time and not sudden failure, either play in the bearing (this is something you can confirm yourself by raising the road wheel off the ground and then trying to wobble the wheel with your hands at the 12 and 6 o'clock position then again at the 9 and 3 o lock position feeling for any play whilst doing so.

The other problem is the bearing becomes rough and this can be tested by rotating the wheel both ways and listening closely, although this is usually compounded by the pads catching the discs slightly requiring pad removal.

Has the car failed on this bearing or just an advisory?

I would gain a second opinion before committing and if confirmed it may be more cost effective to replace the complete hub not just the bearing.

I would have thought potholes would have caused suspension component damage rather than cause a wheel bearing to fail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Comedian said:

Once a Bearing starts to go wear can be exponential. Depends what he's found. Loose? Dry? Brinelling?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

What does the last word mean, can't spell it never mind understand it? 

20 hours ago, steve2006 said:

There is normally some sort of indication  over time and not sudden failure, either play in the bearing (this is something you can confirm yourself by raising the road wheel off the ground and then trying to wobble the wheel with your hands at the 12 and 6 o'clock position then again at the 9 and 3 o lock position feeling for any play whilst doing so.

The other problem is the bearing becomes rough and this can be tested by rotating the wheel both ways and listening closely, although this is usually compounded by the pads catching the discs slightly requiring pad removal.

Has the car failed on this bearing or just an advisory?

I would gain a second opinion before committing and if confirmed it may be more cost effective to replace the complete hub not just the bearing.

I would have thought potholes would have caused suspension component damage rather than cause a wheel bearing to fail.

20 hours ago, Comedian said:

Once a Bearing starts to go wear can be exponential. Depends what he's found. Loose? Dry? Brinelling?

Thanks folks.

The car was in for service and MoT. It was failed on the hub so I couldn't take it away and have it looked at elsewhere. There was no indication of any problem whatsoever.There was no advisory last year (this car does under 2,500 miles a year) and when the tyres were all done a few months ago my tyre guy noticed nothing, and he's a very observant sort. No problems with the pads.

I've had the complete hub replaced, and asked for the old one to be put in the boot. My wife picked up the car, no hub in boot.

Not sure what to think really.

By the way, still gremllns in the works as the replies are taking many hours to come through. 

Suspicious, where did you have the MOT done?

I would insist on having the old one returned to you for further examination, it does after all remain your property and was requested to be returned.....my money's on "Sorry we have thrown it in the scrap bin and unfortunately the scrap man has already been"

12 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Suspicious, where did you have the MOT done?

I would insist on having the old one returned to you for further examination, it does after all remain your property and was requested to be returned.....my money's on "Sorry we have thrown it in the scrap bin and unfortunately the scrap man has already been"

I'm afraid that's pretty much what I'm thinking. I hope not as it's a place I've been using for years but, (without going into detail), there have been some recent changes. As I say, I do hope it's all in order as they've always been fine before. 

It simply not acceptable to not give you the old parts as they belong to you except in time where they are parts exchanged or reconditioned. Demand it back. I would. Have you looked to see if you have a new hub?

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

It simply not acceptable to not give you the old parts as they belong to you except in time where they are parts exchanged or reconditioned. Demand it back. I would. Have you looked to see if you have a new hub?

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

Why didn't you take the car away?

1. I've asked for the part.

2. I'm disabled and unable to look to see if indeed the hub has been replaced.

3. I couldn't take the car as it was a fail.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

- have the failed defects fixed

I know it's too late now but if you were suspicious those avenues are available. As long as you book it in at another garage you can move it there.

If he refuses to give you the hub I guess you'd then have to pay another garage to inspect and consider legal action if you've been defrauded.

Best of luck.

The theory of dealing with these matters is always easier in 20/20 hindsight. The reality can be different.

I have a relationship with this garage of many years, although as I said there have been some changes of late. They have looked after up to four of my cars at a time, and there have been no previous issues whatsoever. It is fifteen miles away and for me an extremely uncomfortable drive, each way, twice.

The car was in for a service and MoT. At the time I was informed that there was a problem with the hub the MoT had expired. I would therefore have had to instruct them to finish the service, and then, having made another Mot appointment elsewhere immediately, taken my wife to the garage so that she could take the car directly to the new appointment.

I feel that by asking for the part I covered myself well enough, but of course I am disappointed that it was not supplied as requested. I will consider the situation further once I know if it is to be returned. 

At this point I genuinely don't know whether everything is kosher, it may well be that everything is in order; what I do know is that for the sum involved legal action would be serious overkill.

Life is too short.

I totally agree with your most recent post. However, you requested advice and thoughts on the matter which can only be given in hindsight. So you are totally correct but couldn't really expect any more. Hopefully some of the ideas were helpful and you can take away the good stuff and ignore what's no good to you.

I am in the industry in another area and have produced reports for 2 court cases. I had to strip engines and put findings into writing with pictures. One case never got to court the other was won easily based on the evidence I provided. (That the work was shoddy).

When I do work I always retain all parts for the customer to take away so they don't even have to ask - some people do find this awkward having to ask as they don't want to appear distrusting. So I don't put them in that position.

Update:

Well well, quelle surprise, I finally got a response today about the old part.

He: "...didn't read the part...where you asked for the bush.." And it: "...has been disposed of."

Asked 21st, answered 24th. So took a while to come up with that "explanation".

Thinking cap on, I will be following this up, just not sure how at the moment.

5 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I win!  Any prizes? :biggrin:

Without the old part I think you have very little chance of redress unfortunately.

Coconut in post :)

Agreed, it will be more difficult without the part, but I'm approaching cautiously and will update on progress.

If you had the old part that would mean work was done. You would have no chance of winning as he could quite rightly say it required changing "In his expert opinion" and there is no law against people making genuine errors of judgement - unfortunately a bad mechanic like a bad hairdresser can open a shop with zero qualifications in the job they claim to be able to do.

What you do need is another "expert" to look at the hub fitted to your car and tell you if work has recently been done there, parts replaced etc. 

If not , then you have a very good case and an email with a lie in it. You will likely win. And your costs will be paid. 

It just depends if you want to pay said 2nd expert to look in the first place. 

There are plenty different approaches I can take. I do not intend to discuss them until the matter is resolved. As I said before, legal action would, in my opinion, be overkill (and probably a waste of money). This not the Great Train Robbery :-)