Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extended warranty

As an rx450h 2010 owner I've just had an email offering 2years warranty for the price of 1 at £995. Taking into account the reliability of these cars would you take the warranty or save up the money up in case anything should go wrong in the future.

The Lexus Paradox - people are drawn to the brand, in part at least, because of their legendary reputation for reliability and then they spend hundreds, if not thousands, on warranties because they worry about the reliability  :biggrin:

Remember that a Lexus warranty requires you to have the car serviced at Lexus dealers at Lexus prices (I think it does anyway, but stand to be corrected if not) so you'll end up paying more than that £995 in the end.

I suppose it depends on how much value is left in the car. My 2005 RX300 is too old to qualify for a warranty anyway, but it's also too old to buy brand new parts for unless I really have to. If it needs a new mirror (as per Les's example above) I'd get one from a breakers yard or eBay rather than pay Lexus prices.

• Like 2

I put the 2 year warranty on my 2013 RX when I bought it in March this year.  I had two ISs previously and in both cases I claimed more than the warranties cost me.  Don't forget it includes top of the range AA cover too.  It doesn't take much to go wrong with an RX to get a bill of £1k+, the peace of mind element is important to me.  I'm in for service next week and I suspect I'm going to get a rear brake caliper out of it and there's still eighteen months left to run.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply boys, now when I got the car I needed a new oil cooler rad and new filler neck to fuel tank which cost the dealer £1600 and a new rear coil spring fixed at Halfords £250 under dealer 3 month warranty I got with the car. So by slackbladders advice I suppose it's money well spent. On the service front I paid £400 for essential service in February. So food for thought.

• Like 1

Never bought a Lexus Extended Warranty and probably never will.

My experience with these vehicles has taught me that its usually money down the drain unless you've got an unlucky vehicle! 

Had 4 now with no issues multiple years out of warranty period

My view of most vehicles I've previously owned is any thing under 5 years old never had any problems, 5-10 years old can become expensive to run that's why I asked for opinions as no previous Lexus ownership and I know main dealer parts and labour could kill anyone without deep pockets and as mine is 7 years old so in the second range now makes me twitchy, I can afford the warranty but not a major bill right now.

1 hour ago, PCM said:

I have had MAJOR value from my warranty. :)

I didn't know you could get a warranty on such an old car Piers, not that I'd be inclined to get one anyway but that's interesting to know.

• Like 1

I think that if you have an older car, the extended warranty does make a lot of sense. It also means that you get minor aggravations sorted, when otherwise you might decide to live with them because of the cost.

I had an issue with the audio system that would turn itself on or off at random. It probably only happened once per week, although when it came on it was on full volume. I mentioned it to my local dealer and 2 days later got a call advising me that the whole audio unit would be replaced. I seem to recall that the cost was near £1500.

• Like 1

Just now, DanD said:

I think that if you have an older car, the extended warranty does make a lot of sense. It also means that you get minor aggravations sorted, when otherwise you might decide to live with them because of the cost.

I had an issue with the audio system that would turn itself on or off at random. It probably only happened once per week, although when it came on it was on full volume. I mentioned it to my local dealer and 2 days later got a call advising me that the whole audio unit would be replaced. I seem to recall that the cost was near £1500.

I agree.

Assess the risk.

It's peace of mind too.

At £995 for two years inc AA cover it is a bargain for an older car if you can afford it.

I got my money back for work done on my RX350 during the last two years a warranty was available [up to 10 years] and I paid twice that sum.

Also while warranty work was carried out a new water pump and vvti oil pipe was fitted by way of preventative maintenance at parts cost alone. 

I think I must have the wrong end of the stick somewhere. I thought warranties were only available up to 10 years old but @PCM Piers' car is older than mine and yet it sounds like it's still warrantied - or maybe you meant that you got good value out of your warranty while it was active Piers?

• Like 1

I think I must have the wrong end of the stick somewhere. I thought warranties were only available up to 10 years old but [mention=52990]PCM[/mention] Piers' car is older than mine and yet it sounds like it's still warrantied - or maybe you meant that you got good value out of your warranty while it was active Piers?

You can take warranty out on cars up to 10 years old. So like mine that is 9 years and 10 months old, my warranty will last until the car is nearly 12 years old. I suppose you get a non Lexus warranty after 10 years old anyway?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sorcerer said:

I think I must have the wrong end of the stick somewhere. I thought warranties were only available up to 10 years old but @PCM Piers' car is older than mine and yet it sounds like it's still warrantied - or maybe you meant that you got good value out of your warranty while it was active Piers?

When I took it out, it was for 3 years. It expires in May 2018 so is still active and in use.

:xmas:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JBPRX400h said:

Not only AA cover but cover for travelling abroad as well.

JBP

Used that too.

Covers the warranty owner, not the car, such that if you are travelling in another car, it's still covered - I think.

At least it did, for my wife.

After consideration and all the comments on here I'm taking the warranty with Lexus, just for giggles I priced up after market warranty most of them even on their top package wouldn't cover main dealer labour beyond £50-60 and £1000 a claim and at over £600 a year in cost for a far inferior cover. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

• Like 1

I have a 2002 RX300, the gearbox of which has recently given up the ghost after 132,000 miles. I know that I could not have bought a warranty on it, extended or otherwise, but a quote for £2,562 plus another £1,700 + VAT for a new E.C.U., the old one which, I was told, caused the problem, means that the car is not financially viable to repair. It also has a problem with the cabin air system.

So I have bought an '06 SE model with 88,000 miles on it. Obviously Lexus will not sell a warranty, but Quentin Wilson's sponsored firm will, but only for up until the car is 14 years old.

I hope that this helps with the discussion.

Anyone want to buy the old one for spares after I have removed the L.P.G. conversion.

• Like 1

Hi all. I’ve just bought an approved used 8 yr old RX 450h from Lexus (17/10/17). How would  the extended warranty work with that scenario. I see on the Lexus site that the two year extended warranty for the price of one year is on until Christmas 2017. 

2 minutes ago, Stevolt said:

Hi all. I’ve just bought an approved used 8 yr old RX 450h from Lexus (17/10/17). How would  the extended warranty work with that scenario. I see on the Lexus site that the two year extended warranty for the price of one year is on until Christmas 2017. 

Did they offer you a warranty?

Maybe best to ask them ...?

Yeah it’s got a 12 month warranty but was wondering if the offer would get tagged on consecutively if I bought the offer now, but I’m sure you’re right - best to ask them directly. 

• Like 1