Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Kobe steel corruption

That is sad to read... I certain this is because of consumerism and throw away culture. Japanese quality made sense in times where quality and longevity was key factor, but now throw away culture favors cheap Chinese junk and nobody appreciates the price of quality Japanese goods, because expected life cycle for some products are just 1 year, even on some cars it seems they are made to last 2-3 years and then starts to disintegrate. I was long in support of sort of "quality tax" e.g. charge 300% on items with clearly inferior quality or recharge the recycling cost if items is discharged before reasonable life-cycle ends. This is particularly the case in household and consumer goods, but increasingly common on cars as well.

I agree with Linas wholeheartedly. Unfortunately many companies have realised there isn't as much money to be made out of items that last. Everyone wants new, shiny and cheap. It is going to bite us on the arse.

Yes agree most car components seem too just about last till car reaches the end of it's warranty. Certainly the case with German stuff. Quality of German parts is terrible .

Sadly with Japanese cars been assembled in Europe and UK the quality is slowly slipping with more and more out sourcing of parts.

Can we just go back to Japanese cars been assembled in Japan !!!  :yes: . 

This isn't the car companies selecting cheap parts. This is the steel company mis-selling to the car companies. They have asked for a spec of material and been lied to - possibly because of the Chinese dumping cheap steel on the market and causing all sorts of issues including job losses in the UK.

This problem is you think you're buying a certain quality - but being sold something else.

Wanting cheap and being given cheap is an entirely different issue. 

we have found this with strategic bits of steel falling off high rise buildings in the UK ( London )  I know the builders have specified the correct materials and have been supplied by Chinese suppliers as meeting the specifications.  The pieces just fall off, snap, and nearly kill pedestrians on the ground.

Bought, specified and supplied as first quality steel products but manufactured as rubbish ............... many building companies no longer buy Chinese steel no matter the specifications, they just cannot be trusted.

British steel is manufactured to the correct requirements but sadly there is little manufacturing capacity left in the UK

Dumbing down is not good and can be incredibly dangerous

Malc

3 hours ago, Comedian said:

This problem is you think you're buying a certain quality - but being sold something else.

There is a solution to this, it's called 'Quality Control'. Unfortunately most companies only want to pay this lip service so they can put a check in the box, and sometimes even accept the suppliers quality records. 

Imagine if Kobe steel had been performing random chemical analysis a couple of times a year on lots received. 

True Martin, I have spoken to one of my manufacturers this morning - they were sent recycled aluminium by US company. Only found out when they annealed it and it changed colour. Returned it all. 

It does indicate gaps in the system but we are the ones who end up paying for it and being unable to verify it.