Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Repair guide

MartinPowell2001

I bought my 2017 Lexus CT200h Sports plus 1 week ago from Lexus Leeds, and today i have found that someone has smacked into the nearside front corner and caused some not insignificant damage!

The top rabiator grill is snapped/cracked down the right hand side

The bumper/valance is scuffed scratched and cracked and hanging off at the wheel arch by about 1 inch! there is pressure indentation on the front where the bumper has been pushed against the fixings on the back side of the bumper.

I took out the smart insurance to cover minor scratches and dents, but thr dealer says that wont cover it as it is over 12 inches of damage!

So no I am left to foot the bill for repair on a 2 month old Lexus! I am gutted as this is my first foray into a more discerning/luxury vehicle.

It looks like i need the complete front bumper replacing and the top radiator/grill section.

Does anyone know of approximate prices for these parts and if I can fit them myself, or if I need to shell out to a dealer to fit them?

Thanks

Martin

Assuming the someone wasn't yourself have you reported it to the Police? Unlikely but there is a chance someone owned up or there was a witness and the culprit can be traced.

I can't image this will be <£500, especially if new OEM parts.

Second hand front bumpers are £200 on eBay, say £70 for the grill and perhaps another £250 for paint and labour.

Thanks for replies.

Yes it was someone else, am trying to get hold of CCTV footage from the car park. If I get a reg plate, then I will go to the police. 

Most likely will have to go through insurance! But will cost me more at renewal time!

Some pics I've just took.

Thanks

IMG_20171022_140426362.jpg

IMG_20171022_140409666.jpg

IMG_20171022_140303093.jpg

• Sad 1

Some people really need a good beating! :mad2:

I know I can't speak for your situation, but my missus car was hit while parked so she had to make a claim for roughly £800.  Come renewal time, there was no increase in premium, which was surprising.

I don't get how people do this kind of thing?  There is no way someone didn't realise they hadn't done this (and if they did, then they shouldn't be driving!).  I have been in a similar situation before when I hit a parked car and did significant damage.  No one saw me, and I admit I initially drove away without doing anything, but half way down the road I just couldn't bring myself to let it go, so I went back and left a note.  I even felt ashamed for driving off in the first place even though I went back.

So, someone has hit your car and just drove off without caring that they have cost you a significant amount of money?

I really hope you get the footage and find out who done this.

• Like 1

Sad to see this.
I was enquiring to facelift my 2011 with this front bumper and I was quoted £1200 plus from the dealer. That gives you an idea. Most of the bumpers on eBay are damaged too but if you can find a fairly minor one and a good bodyshop it might work out cheaper.
Good luck.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MartinPowell2001 said:

Thanks for replies.

Yes it was someone else, am trying to get hold of CCTV footage from the car park. If I get a reg plate, then I will go to the police. 

Most likely will have to go through insurance! But will cost me more at renewal time!

Some pics I've just took.

Thanks

IMG_20171022_140426362.jpg

IMG_20171022_140409666.jpg

IMG_20171022_140303093.jpg

On a new car I would certainly go through insurance. Also, the sonic titanium paint is a PITA to get correct so don't just let any wally have a go.

I wouldn't be so sure in the cost at renewal going up - my wife went into the garage door in the IS - Bumper and Fender were replaced at a cost of £2.3k by Lexus and the renewal quote actually went down!!

• Like 1

I truly hope you get to see the CCTV and chase the buggers for what they've done and I can imagine the feeling of devastation upon returning to your car.  My wife thinks I'm a PITA for being so cautious about parking my car but this demonstrates that even being sensible doesn't negate the outlaws out there.

As an aside, the scratches on the bumper seem to suggest an up/down movement rather than a lateral one that you may expect to see in a car park - it'd be interesting to know how they've done it.

My car underwent a rash of car park damage. I must have sent it to the body shop 3 times and am on first name terms with the man from chips away who has been to touch in minor dings perhaps 4 times. I now have a camera which is programmed to record unexpected shocks. My wife actually witnessed a person in a 4wd reversing into the car and we took him to court. He lied and lied but unfortunately got off scot free because our insurers mistakenly accepted his insurers out of court offer. It ended ok for us because it was our insurers fault that the case came to nought. However, we bought a crash cam for both our cars.