Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS450h SE EXTRAS + "Secret" Tweak Codes?

11 hours ago, GS450hSE said:

I was a bit puzzled too.

In the Driver's Manual there is a reference, in the 'Maintenance and care' section, to the Tyre Pressure Warning System and to a reset/initialisation switch (a button, from the picture) below the steering wheel.

There is definitely no such button below my steering wheel... nor any blanking plate.

The car is not an "import", and was first registered in 2008.

Again this button for the TPMS is hidden above the pedals almost within the pedal mechanisms. Why they put it there I do not know when it could have been in the drop down box with the other buttons for the mirrors, and such.

Look at the tyre valves on the wheels. If they are black rubber then you do not have TPMS. If the are grey aluminium finish then you do have TPMS.

John.

7 hours ago, Britprius said:

Again this button for the TPMS is hidden above the pedals almost within the pedal mechanisms. Why they put it there I do not know when it could have been in the drop down box with the other buttons for the mirrors, and such.

Look at the tyre valves on the wheels. If they are black rubber then you do not have TPMS. If the are grey aluminium finish then you do have TPMS.

John.

Thanks.

Ordinary black rubber...

Some folks have been known to remove the sensors from the wheels and fit them into a pressurised box, tucked away somewhere in the boot. 

But if you don't have TPMS button on the underside of both front footwell panels, then presumably your car didn't come with TPMS.  

FYI: TPMS button locations on my GS are like this (except mines right hand drive);

index.112.jpg

index.113.jpg

Reference, from an ES.

• Like 1

Thanks, Lee.  I reconfirm neither of these TPMS buttons is present on my vehicle.

NEW QUESTION

I'm finding the internal lighting infuriatingly dim !

The Owner's Manual is completely silent on the matter of changing the map/dome light.

I believe its LED light bulbs are type "194".  Much more powerful (CAMBUS compatible) 194 bulbs are available (naturally, I would check heat output). The "spot" units fitted are giving about 50 lumens.  Here are 194s which give 200 lumens per bulb:

http://www.vleds.com/shop-application/interior/194.htm

The car's light fitting looks rather like this one:

246459d1336852786-06-gs-spot-map-interio

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011/246459d1336852786-06-gs-spot-map-interior-lights-vs-07-gs-difference-dsc05292.jpg

Is there an easy way to open it up to get at the bulbs?

If I do, are the 194 or other bulbs user-changeable, or has Lexus soldered them in?

I also struggle with the night time illumination although I haven't investigated it much yet, but will longer evenings it'll be more of an issue so I'll be keen to hear what folks say.

I also struggle with the night time illumination although I haven't investigated it much yet, but will longer evenings it'll be more of an issue so I'll be keen to hear what folks say.

Seconded. Since the clocks changed I’ve noted the LED illumination inside my GS is far from what you’d call bright.

Fishing around in the footwell trying to locate a dropped Power Ranger with commentary from an interested three year old would be better with more lumens.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GS450hSE said:

Thanks, Lee.  I reconfirm neither of these TPMS buttons is present on my vehicle.

NEW QUESTION

I'm finding the internal lighting infuriatingly dim !

The Owner's Manual is completely silent on the matter of changing the map/dome light.

I believe its LED light bulbs are type "194".  Much more powerful (CAMBUS compatible) 194 bulbs are available (naturally, I would check heat output). The "spot" units fitted are giving about 50 lumens.  Here are 194s which give 200 lumens per bulb:

http://www.vleds.com/shop-application/interior/194.htm

The car's light fitting looks rather like this one:

246459d1336852786-06-gs-spot-map-interio

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011/246459d1336852786-06-gs-spot-map-interior-lights-vs-07-gs-difference-dsc05292.jpg

Is there an easy way to open it up to get at the bulbs?

If I do, are the 194 or other bulbs user-changeable, or has Lexus soldered them in?

As long as your replacing the bulbs with LED's heat will not be a problem. You do not need canbus compatible bulbs as the bulbs on the GS are not monitored. The canbus bulbs have a resistor across the bulb supply to fool the system into seeing a load equivalent to a normal bulb. This resistor gives off heat, and wastes energy defeating the object of using LED's to save energy. It does seem as though these bulbs are not meant to be changed. See the link below.

John.