Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil filter removal tool for 450h

Apologies this has been done to death, but want to be 100%

What size removal tool do it need for the 450h oil filter housing?

Seen 901s advertised, but I already have that and it wouldn't fit on, almost but not quite, hence wanting to double check.

Appears that someone has broke a tooth off an old filter tool in the past, as found it in the tray below, so it may well be on tight, thus any recommendations for a strong one? Are they prone to being stuck?

Also, is the bleed dolt and hose worth it, or do you lot not bother?

Cheers all

Good shout Robert as I nearly bought a filter tool last week, then noticed the option of the filter drain and subsequently got distracted with something else.

Interweb threads recommend getting a tool that doesn't just pickup on the flats but also to the locating teeth deeper down the housing. 

The tool is 14 flats at 64.5mm right?

• Thanks 1

I think Lee above has the correct details. I found the first time I changed the filter it was on ridiculously tight to the point of possibly braking something. The filter does not require it to be tight to obtain a good seal since the "O" ring seal is between inner and outer diameter surfaces, and not end to end surfaces. All that is required is a light pinch on tightening.

The Prius uses the same filter but the housing is plastic. It uses the same method of fitting but has a metal spring strip that stops the hosing being turned to remove unless the spring strip is pressed rather like a one way ratchet mechanism. This removes the need to tighten till it will go no further.

The filter it's self seems to be very expensive considering it does not have the outer can, and threaded base plate that must cost more to produce. It also is more labour intensive, messy, and likely to have contaminants entre  the lubrication system than the canister version. A step back to the 1950's.

John. 

• Like 1

Thanks both.

Ordered one today, with the extra 'tangs' although it was one of them broke off the p.o. filter tool, as that's the bit I found lol. Fingers crossed it was just a cheap and knackard tool which broke and not a sign of a welded shut filter housing.

Hopefully will do it this weekend, will report back. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

No, may do in future but can't see it being that necessary on a horizontal filter to be honest. Read somewhere that it was designed for a vertical filter (makes sense), but that just puzzled me as thought these were all horizontal lol. 

I'm presuming that if the oil is drained then when the seal is broke on the housing, it'll drain like a cartridge type, ie leave it connected but lose, leave it drain the majority then remove. Will likely be messy, but can't see that the drain will help that much, as the hold is central, thus you'd only be draining to circa half way anyway.

More concerned with getting it off, as if someone had the tool with extra teeth (to fit the lower bars) and that broke, then I may be in for a fight. Given the torque spec is listed everywhere, I really hope it's not been put on by the hulk, but, I've met some incredible torque thus far (wheel bolts, suspension bolts, caliper bolts etc) is hope this will be different.

So, oil changed, but tool wasn't a good fit.

It has the 3 (on either side) notches to locate on the extra tangs (although my housing only has 1 on either side, not 3), but it wasn't wide enough at that outer part (ie needs to be wider diameter). The flutes fitted though, a touch loose, but perhaps that's because it couldn't seat all the way home, and it did come off without need for breaker bar etc.

Regards oil housing drain, good job I didn't get one, as it's not got one.

Wonder if I have an early version housing, that's not quiet normal. Might look at replacing it so tool fits properly and I have the drain, although didn't get a drop on my from the housing, so not really needed I'd say.

• Like 1

Well done. It's a shame that the tool didn't fit so well but thankfully it seated sufficiently to get enough purchase. I ordered one the other day, will see how that fits mine.

What filter did you use? Does anyone know if Lexus are fickle and prefer a particular make?

I used all genuine toyota bits, all fIlters, oil (0w20), even plugs, although they not made by Lexus/toyota of course.

Nippon were cheaper for genuine bits than ecp were with aftermarket bits and a sale one. So ordered the full service kit with the rear shocks and track rod ends (which I didn't need), but they didn't have the ball joints, so I got blue print ones of those elsewhere.

• Like 1

The filter housing on my car also does not have the drain plug feature. This is no big deal as I fail to see the way the filter is orientated that it could drain all of the oil out of the filter housing. In fact only about half making it pretty useless, and adding an extra layer of work to be done.

John 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Britprius said:

The filter housing on my car also does not have the drain plug feature. This is no big deal as I fail to see the way the filter is orientated that it could drain all of the oil out of the filter housing. In fact only about half making it pretty useless, and adding an extra layer of work to be done.

John 

Agreed, if vertically mounted, would be worth while. 

Not bothered about drain, but am about the tool not fitting the wider second ring and thus not seating properly and locating on the lower tangs. Looks like I'll be buying a third tool, ridiculous.

I find it hard to see the purpose of the drain system.

If the filter was mounted vertically upwards it would not drain any oil. Pointing downwards the oil would pour out before the plastic adapter could be fitted. With the filter horizontally as with the only half the oil could be removed, but again would pour out before the plastic adapter could be screwed in.

John. 

I thought the drain was on a spring seal John?

Ie remove that cover piece and screw in the drain hose. When screwed in, it pushes a plate off the seal and allows the oil to drain out, but needs the piece in place in order to do so.

This is purely without foundation though, as don't have one, never seen one and no experience of one. What drives it is common sense, and that one of the American sites said that their plug needed to have a part turned after being fitted to allow it to drain, but this could be built into their part vs the housing I guess.

• Like 1