Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Attempted theft of RC-F?

Was any damage done to the car? Locally, we have an element that occasionally go door to door checking car doors. Their intention is not to steal cars but to steal handbags and other valuables from cars where the owner has forgot to lock up - basically, the easy targets.

Not that I can see. 

Neighbours saw police in the street about 7:30 after I left for work which is a too much of a co-incidence - don't normally see them. Waiting to hear if they've done something elsewhere - I've emailed the pics to local police so at least it will put them in the area if something else has been done like a work van or something.

Not good :sad:

As an idea, it may be worth parking your other car behind the RCF. I know it can be a PITA if you want to move it off the drive, but for the thieves at least it means they have the added trouble of having to break into two cars.

I normally do - and to cut a long story short - daughter parked there and left - I couldn't be bothered to go out and move the other car back behind.

That won't happen again.

Also asked the guy who did my drive to quote me for a security bollard thingy. It's all about making it as awkward and noisy for them as possible so they go and steal a BMW like they are supposed to.

4 hours ago, Comedian said:

I normally do - and to cut a long story short - daughter parked there and left - I couldn't be bothered to go out and move the other car back behind.

That won't happen again.

Also asked the guy who did my drive to quote me for a security bollard thingy. It's all about making it as awkward and noisy for them as possible so they go and steal a BMW like they are supposed to.

Bollard is a good option although roller gates or the likes might be a similiar price (some of these bollards cost like £2k)

Might help if you put a motion sensor LED floodlight there as well 

To be honest I don't believe it matters how expensive is the bollard or how strong, much more important is that it is painted in most visible and awkward colour. Even the cheapest one going to make enough noise and delay thieves enough from them not to attempt it - they just going to go for easiest target.

not sure if the pics in here are slightly worse than the originals but the lighting seems a bit dark? A motion sensor and LED Floodlight seems like an idea to me.

also, can the police identify a person based on your pics or are the faces too vague?  A more expensive camera with more pixels will solve that, could be a good investment!

If you are looking at bollards you really do want the automated ones with sensors to stop them jacking the car up unwittingly.  They're about 80cm high so would need digging that much to get them flush with the ground. 

Once they're in though, no one's going to get that thing out and....

It's not much faff to get it up, you just need to press the right buttons when parking up after work ;)

Just out of curiosity, what type of camera is that? I'm looking into potentially setting up a few cameras around the house but they'd be mounted a little further away from the car than yours are - so I'd likely need a little higher quality image.

Can't recall. Wireless IP camera off amazon. Day time image is HD -  very good. Not sure how much you have to pay to get super clear night vision.

I suppose much of it is down to the power of the leds that send the IR and how far they can "light up" versus visible light.

2 hours ago, ronaldo said:

Just out of curiosity, what type of camera is that? I'm looking into potentially setting up a few cameras around the house but they'd be mounted a little further away from the car than yours are - so I'd likely need a little higher quality image.

I have cameras off amazon AND extra infra red lighting, which makes quite a difference.

25 minutes ago, Comedian said:

That's what is needed extra infra red lights.

Univivi U06R WideAngle 6pcs LED Array Lights IR Illuminator for Security Cameras

I have one of thees

https://www.netatmo.com/product/security/presence

perhaps a bit pricy ( £230 / £250 ) but there is no point having a camera that doesn't give you a good image, they one is 1920 X 1080, not sure if thats good or not, certainly gives a good clear image, its also infer red, and a security light, although i do find that the image is clearer when the securely light does not come on, so you have to decide do you have a good clear image but no deterrent of a security light coming on or the light coming on to hopefully deter the person to leave.

you can watch live feed any were you have wi-fi or 3g..4g

can tell the difference between , people, cars and animals, and if it gets it wrong you can teach it, works every time in daylight but sometimes gets it wrong at night.

you can program it to send you a text, and or record for a detection of a car, person or animal.

program everything from you phone including the floodlight brightness, turning it on and off, the alert zone and a lot more.

and it has sound, although they can't hear you

8 minutes ago, wendle said:

I have one of thees

https://www.netatmo.com/product/security/presence

perhaps a bit pricy ( £230 / £250 ) but there is no point having a camera that doesn't give you a good image, they one is 1920 X 1080, not sure if thats good or not, certainly gives a good clear image, its also infer red, and a security light, although i do find that the image is clearer when the securely light does not come on, so you have to decide do you have a good clear image but no deterrent of a security light coming on or the light coming on to hopefully deter the person to leave.

you can watch live feed any were you have wi-fi

can tell the difference between , people, cars and animals, and if it gets it wrong you can teach it, works every time in daylight but sometimes gets it wrong at night.

you can program it to send you a text, and or record for a detection of a car, person or animal.

program everything from you phone including the floodlight brightness, turning it on and off, the alert zone and a lot more.

How is it powered?

Looks interesting.

you can install in onto a out side light if you already have one or i just wired it up with a length of cable and a 3 pin plug on the end.

its a bit fiddly to install so expect some swear words.

• Like 1

Checked leds on my cam and only 6 little ones out of about 60 left working. It wasn't that cheap at about 65 so I don't think 200 for a high quality one is bad. But for night time white light does spoil the image. It's a tricky one.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Maybe put light further away, so that it lights up when somebody just tuns into your drive rather than when they come close to the cars. First of all the light would spook them earlier, secondly the further is the light the less negative impact on video quality due to overexposure.

• Like 1

On 23 October 2017 at 10:46 AM, Comedian said:

I've emailed the pics to local police so at least it will put them in the area if something else has been done like a work van or something.

I'm curious, did you get any reply or a visit from the boys in blue?

I just logged in to tell you that!

They emailed to say a theft was made from a car nearby. So it appears they were opportunists, which makes me feel better; anyone who wants to take mine would need to come well prepared.

Hopefully my pictures and video will help catch them so they can get a strongly worded letter and a free playstation off the justice system.