Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX350 All Season tyres?

Has anyone here recently fitted all-season tyres to their RX?

My wife's RX350 needs new tyres, and all season might be the way to go?

21 minutes ago, PCM said:

Has anyone here recently fitted all-season tyres to their RX?

My wife's RX350 needs new tyres, and all season might be the way to go?

I did on the RX450h after the OEM set wore out. No issues at all in fact, the road noise was reduced and they had more grip. There was no noticeable difference in MPG

Of course this only applies to the tyres that I got which were Michelin Latitude Tour HP but I believe they are discontinued now

• Like 1

I put some 19" Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons on my XC90 a month or two ago. Nice and quiet and comfy. No complaints. If we do get some decent white stuff I'll be interested to see how they perform against the Nokian dedicated winters I previously ran.

Oh God, fingers crossed. I love driving in snow :biggrin:

• Like 1

I'm not sure if they're classed as "all season" or not but I can say that I'm extremely pleased with the Avon ZX7 tyres that I put on mine a while back; very good and highly recommended.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PCM said:

The pirellis are a good tyre and ones that are often fitted by owners to their 3RXs over the pond in the U.S

Added bonus of being cheaper and made in the UK too

• Like 1

You’d be crazy to go with summer tyres. Go all season or full winter. Unless you’re driving it like you stole it you’ll never get any benefit of summers. I ran Vredestein wintrac Xtreme S on my 2015 Touareg. If I didn’t have 7mm on 4 corners on the RX I just bought I’d be putting the Vreds on it too. Just so happens my wheels and winters from my other car will fit the RX too so I’ve got winter and summer wheels with winter and summer rubber too.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Agreed. I ran Nokian WR3 SUV winters on my XC90 year round, great tyres and seriously good in snow if you do get it. I've now got the Verde All Seasons on because they were available locally for a good price.

I've probably gone on about this before but the whole summers/winters/all season thing is one of my pet peeves and all about marketing and cosmetics. Not marketing in a sense that "summers" are fine and changing tyres is a waste of time because we never did it in the olden days but that "summers" are quite useless and now you have to change tyres if there's a chance of the slippy stuff. The reason my dad didn't have to change his tyres for the time of year was because on regular cars all tyres were all season tyres.

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Agreed. I ran Nokian WR3 SUV winters on my XC90 year round, great tyres and seriously good in snow if you do get it. I've now got the Verde All Seasons on because they were available locally for a good price.

I've probably gone on about this before but the whole summers/winters/all season thing is one of my pet peeves and all about marketing and cosmetics. Not marketing in a sense that "summers" are fine and changing tyres is a waste of time because we never did it in the olden days but that "summers" are quite useless and now you have to change tyres if there's a chance of the slippy stuff. The reason my dad didn't have to change his tyres for the time of year was because on regular cars all tyres were all season tyres.

Full winters are more appropriate year round for most cars on UK roads than full summers, certainly for 4x4/SUV types. I'm surprised RAC/AA/IAM haven't campaigned for cars to be shipped with, at least, All Seasons in the UK for road safety reasons. Less people would get stuck, less people would have accidents and the country wouldn't come to a standstill as easily as it does. I was surprised at how well my Vredestein winters stood up to the heat of summer, despite getting thrashed occasionally with 262bhp and a shedload of torque on a 2 ton car. 

In winter 2016 I towed a stuck, fully loaded, 7.5t truck with a heavy trailer up a slope in heavy snow to unblock a main road. Even other 4x4s with summer tyres were stuck and they didn't have a 7.5t truck and trailer to tow. I was blown away by the performance of the Vreds in snow. Even without snow or ice on just wet, cold, greasy roundabouts they still got a huge amount more power down than the tyres that came on the car. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, I haven't been bothered to change to winter tyres in any of my cars since 1993 including RWD Mercs and Lexus. 

I've never been stuck

Common sense would suggest if the weather is bad, stick to the main roads and set off early although I did end up not following my own advise when dropping my son to school about 4 years ago when I had my 3RX on OEM Dunlops. Living in Yorkshire, the hills are crazy and it turned out a Citroen C3 was spinning its wheels until it gave up and just stopped. Obviously I went around in the RX in Snow Mode with a huge grin on my face.

• Like 1

Got to love driving in snow. Just after Christmas 2015 we had it heavy in Sheffield for a few days and I went out more than once trying to get the XC90 stuck :biggrin: I even managed a couple of rescues and since then I've always carried a tow rope too. That's when I found out that black cabs are rear wheel drive and really shouldn't be on the Snake Pass in a snow storm...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recently replaced my Latitude Tour HP with the newer Latitude Sport. Very good tyres, although maybe a little more noisy.

I hear that the Cross Climate (also Michelin) are excellent, but they are still very new and expensive.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 24/10/2017 at 3:22 PM, rich1068 said:

I put some 19" Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons on my XC90 a month or two ago. Nice and quiet and comfy. No complaints. If we do get some decent white stuff I'll be interested to see how they perform against the Nokian dedicated winters I previously ran.

Oh God, fingers crossed. I love driving in snow :biggrin:

How have they been?

They were OK, certainly no drama. Sheffield didn't get anywhere near what was forecast but it was still a little dicey as I ventured into the Peak District. With the dedicated winters I used to seek the snow out and try to get myself stuck. I probably wouldn't do that with these Pirellis unless I had a backup plan but I'm quite confident in them. These tyres, AWD and a bit of common sense with the gearbox and traction control and I don't think we'd be getting stuck any time soon.

• Like 1