Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm back with an RX350 this time

Well, after 4 years without a Lexus we're back in the club with an RX350 if all goes to plan. 

I've put a deposit down on this badboy http://sheffield.usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/RX-350/35-Limited-Edition-r1bkgtj I couldn't see past 10 Lexus main dealer service stamps and main dealer warranty. I've not seen it in the flesh though. 

We chopped the IS200 in for an SLK280 in 2013, that turned out to be a (leaking) lemon and went the same way as my IS200 with electrical gremlins caused by water ingress. Merc took it back and we got a C200 CDI (guess who's got 2 kids now) which we've still got. We had a new Touareg R-line 262bhp for a couple of years on a lease which was replaced with a new Infiniti Q30S in June. The Q30S spent almost as much time in the garage for repairs as it did on the road and was finally bought back by the dealer for a full refund. We very nearly bought a Mini Countryman Cooper S Chilli on a lease but, after contemplating the bangernomics model and looking at X5's, Range Rovers I came across a 2007 RX350 from a local dealer for £5k. It had no history and the guy sounded rough as hell on the phone.A quick check on the Lexus used car website brought up the RX350 at Sheffield with a full Lexus service history and main dealer warranty. It was nearly 50% more expensive but the history and warranty was worth the premium in my opinion. 

It's for the Mrs and will only do around 5000 miles a year. She likes the height of a 4x4, she wanted auto and heated seats, I wanted memory seats because she's 5'5 and i'm 5'11, I have gorilla arms and she's stumpy. She doesn't like less than 6 cylinders  (4 is OK if it's turbo'd) and she likes at least 200bhp. I can't think of any other car that would come close to what we're getting with the RX. 

I've got a set of Kia winter wheels with winter rubber which were bought for the Infiniti but will fit the RX so it'll be a monster in the snow (we're at the bottom of a hill in Scotland a bit off the beaten track). Will need spigot rings though as centre bore is 7mm bigger on Kia rims. 

Does anyone want to swap a cream interior for a black one? How easy is it to fit rear screens to this for the kids?

• Like 1

Stick with the cream - much lighter in the winter, especially in Scotland. Black will depress you in the long winter.

You can get it cleaned!

That looks a peach - and a full history. If that is Bangernomics then bring it on!

Condition and history is more important than age. I am really enjoying driving my RX 300. I will give my views on th RX when I have owned it a bit longer. At the moment it is much better than I expected. Great view from the driver's seat, headlights are very good at night and the ride is much better than I expected. Let us all know what your wife thinks of it.

• Like 1

I don't like cream interiors anyway but with two kids it's madness - go for that swap to black. Having said that, if it's only going to do about 5k/year it may not have time to get dirty - unless that 5k/year is doing the school run of course :smile:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks guys. We're doing a road trip with the sprogs (1 & 2) from Glasgow to Sheffield on Saturday then staying with friends in Lancaster to split the journey.

I know it's sacrilege but I'm extremely tempted to stick an induction kit on it to make the most of that V6 sound. What other subtle mods are people doing? LED lighting, side steps, etc?

Does the DVD changer on these play videos or just MP3s off a DVD? If it does play movies is there an output to enable playback for the kids in the rear seats?

Is there anything I should know or be double checking on the car before we finally sign? We have only seen pictures and are trusting that since it's a main dealer they're not going to be sneaky about anything. Are they all four wheel drive?

Rayaan, do I recognise you from DW?

One thing to check is the cam belt, they should be changed at 100k miles or 10 years, whichever is sooner - you're not there on mileage but you are on time. If it's not been done, you should also have the idlers/tensioners and water pump changed at the same time because 90% of the work done to change the belt would have to be done again to get to the water pump if it was done at a different time, resulting in two big bills instead of just one. At least that's the case with the RX300 and the 1MZ-FE engine, so I'm assuming the 350 will be the same.

The reversing lights on the RX300 are absolutely abysmal so again, if the 350 is the same you'll almost definitely be wanting to do the mod to change them to LEDs. These are the LEDs I got for the reverse lights. There's also a pdf file knocking about on the forum somewhere showing how to get the reverse light 'shrouds' out too.

• Like 2

I now know that the engine in the 350 has a timing chain, not a belt, so just ignore what I said above as it's too late for me to edit it out.

Found the pdf file:

reversing lights.pdf

I also fitted these Daytime Running Lights too.

If you decide to do the same, you'll need to buy a couple of relays to wire them up properly - just give me a shout if you want full details but a bit more info (including a short video) can be found in the thread below (and yes, I know it looks a mess but that was just a temporary lashup :smile:):

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sorcerer said:

One thing to check is the cam belt, they should be changed at 100k miles or 10 years, whichever is sooner - you're not there on mileage but you are on time. If it's not been done, you should also have the idlers/tensioners and water pump changed at the same time because 90% of the work done to change the belt would have to be done again to get to the water pump if it was done at a different time, resulting in two big bills instead of just one. At least that's the case with the RX300 and the 1MZ-FE engine, so I'm assuming the 350 will be the same.

The reversing lights on the RX300 are absolutely abysmal so again, if the 350 is the same you'll almost definitely be wanting to do the mod to change them to LEDs. These are the LEDs I got for the reverse lights. There's also a pdf file knocking about on the forum somewhere showing how to get the reverse light 'shrouds' out too.

Would you recommend the 'better' reversing light bulbs? Any issues?

I'm certainly tempted!

1 hour ago, PCM said:

Would you recommend the 'better' reversing light bulbs? Any issues?

I'm certainly tempted!

I absolutely would Piers. Along with taking the 'shades' or 'shrouds' out (instructions in the pdf file), they've made an incredible difference and no issues at all.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, grantwils said:

Thanks guys. We're doing a road trip with the sprogs (1 & 2) from Glasgow to Sheffield on Saturday then staying with friends in Lancaster to split the journey.

I know it's sacrilege but I'm extremely tempted to stick an induction kit on it to make the most of that V6 sound. What other subtle mods are people doing? LED lighting, side steps, etc?

Does the DVD changer on these play videos or just MP3s off a DVD? If it does play movies is there an output to enable playback for the kids in the rear seats?

Is there anything I should know or be double checking on the car before we finally sign? We have only seen pictures and are trusting that since it's a main dealer they're not going to be sneaky about anything. Are they all four wheel drive?

Rayaan, do I recognise you from DW?

Yes, Im on DW, the only member who rings a bell with a Touareg and Q30 is Nanoman!

Before signing, just take a good look around the car, Im sure you'll spot any poor paint or dents that should be sorted beforehand. Lexus Sheffield has great customer service though so you should be fine but I don't know what their prep department is like. If you do spot anything, I am pretty sure they'll sort it out without any quibbles. The wheels are probably worth checking as they corrode and for some reason, the 2nd Gen RX tends to get a lot of stonechips up front so its more than likely been resprayed or touched up.

And yes, the RX350 is permanent 4WD

The DVD changer does play movies, but Im pretty sure you can only play them when the car is stationary so probably no use for an output (which I dont think exists anyway). 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone curious I will be updating this thread next week. The RX is back in Sheffield getting a couple of things sorted which I wasn’t totally happy with. The dealers have been great. They delivered a courtesy car to my door in Glasgow and took the RX back to sort.

We love the car. I just wish the V6 wasn’t so muted sound wise. Also, no, I have not been looking at HKS blower kits. Honest. That would be ridiculous!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So... lots to update but basically... the car has been back to the dealer twice for remedial works but that’s another story to be added later.

In other news I’ve just been out in the snow with the winter tyres for a play. Damn this thing is a machine with the right tyres.

I went for Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S 235/55/19. I’ve used these tyres on all my 4x4s since 2010. To give you an idea here’s a pic from earlier this evening of the steep hill to get in/out our estate
11addf3b7682adcff4de615c1852deb6.jpeg

Sheet ice, untreated with cars abandoned and bumping into each other all over. I’ve just been out in the RX no that it’s empty. I stopped at the steepest point and floored it... a small amount of wheelspin then it accelerated well. Before I knew it I was doing over 40mph.

Also, Roxy has had a little brother named Gus. I swapped my ‘14 c200 for a ‘09 GS450h (which will also be wearing Wintrac Xtreme S in the colder months).

Fingers crossed Roxy won’t need any more trips back to Lexus and we can start enjoying her more.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Had some epic snow here - the crazy driving is beyond belief though

Some idiot in a VW Passat went too fast around a corner and ended up on the wrong side of the road inches from another car - head on collision potential!

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

Had some epic snow here - the crazy driving is beyond belief though

Some idiot in a VW Passat went too fast around a corner and ended up on the wrong side of the road inches from another car - head on collision potential!

Do you have any dashcam footage?

4 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Do you have any dashcam footage?

No it was in the RX which I don't have a dashcam fitted to.

But it was just stupid - lots of dumb driving around when snow starts to fall - don't really know why - probably to do with frustration because the main roads are busier than usual because nobody wants to go on side roads

• Like 1