Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whatcar Reliability Survey 2017

Well I for one think it's not deserved I've had mine for 19 months and in that time I had a fuse blow the fact that it was entirely my fault is neither here nor there it cost me 30p + vat good job I took out the warranty..........😂

Big Rat

• Haha 2

@mike m The Alfa drives well apparently, would I buy with my money...... er no. A new one I’ve seen up 7k off list, not great for residual if they are doing that already. Second hand with delivery/ demo mileage 12k off, running a second hand Italian performance car that’s complicated to boot not for me.

The main reason I say this is the dealerships, there are 2 guys with these at the club I go to and parts availability is abysmal combined with a lack of knowledge.

Big Rat

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

In any event I think this is far more informative and reliable site.

Good read as well look at Lexus 😊

https://www.osv.ltd.uk/are-alfa-romeo-reliable/

Big Rat

hmmm they havent changed then. Just a nice car to look at while waiting on the recovery. Nice to see Audi getting slagged. I really really absolutely hate Audi especially the tdi i'm better than you mob that sit glued to everybody's back bumper before going for some ludicrous death defying overtake. Aberdeen is full of them. :taz: 

Rant over lol

• Like 3

I bought a brand new Giulietta qv a couple of years ago. List £32k paid £21k oil pump went after a week and wrecked the engine. Sold after new engine put in by Alfa a month later for £17k. Wouldn’t mind I’d had 4 previous Alfa’s and not had a single problem. Lesson learned.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Alfas can be a nice car but still have reliability issues . If you want to see which car Is really getting a slating look at the reviews on You tube for Maserati Ghibli , absolutely shocking . 

When considering a Giula QF last year I heard some horror stories about the after-sales and service department's attitude at various Alfa dealers in the North and Midlands. These stories were from owners of 146 and 156 GTAs and 3.2V6 159s, so they were decent petrolheads. It is a key reason why I'm not going down the Alfa route, despite the car itself being fantastic.

In other news; I finally got to drive another short list option last week; a BMW M2 manual. It was great fun, compact and comfortable. But when I got back in the RC-F it reminded me how special it feels to be in the Lexus. I also have reliability fears with BMW

• Like 3

22 hours ago, MNMJ said:

When considering a Giula QF last year I heard some horror stories about the after-sales and service department's attitude at various Alfa dealers in the North and Midlands. These stories were from owners of 146 and 156 GTAs and 3.2V6 159s, so they were decent petrolheads. It is a key reason why I'm not going down the Alfa route, despite the car itself being fantastic.

In other news; I finally got to drive another short list option last week; a BMW M2 manual. It was great fun, compact and comfortable. But when I got back in the RC-F it reminded me how special it feels to be in the Lexus. I also have reliability fears with BMW

How did the M2 feel for pace relative to the RC-F?  I'm looking at going to an RC-F in the near future but an M2 is an option also

Marcus

@Jgtcracer Marcus  the reliability of the M2 not read anything of real consequence but it's early days as yet, negatives from the one owner I know the rude what ever the setting is hard especially on broken surfaces and this is from a man that had an an 08 isF for 3 years!

His is a manual which has the blip control for the throttle which can only be disabled if you fully switch off the traction control- not ideal.

The build quality he describes as ok, but in reality it is no baby M3/M4 it is not a proper M car despite all the hype again in his opinion.

Oh and anybody who lives north of Gloucester will have to bear in mind the security of these cars at home burglary for the keys wheels being nicked and so on, it's a massive problem for M cars Audi S/RS  and the performance Mercs.

It's an aspect of ownership of these cars I personally believe can't be ignored.

Big Rat

The RCF is definatly the front runner, just can't ignore the resale value of the M2 as time goes on, it's one of those cars that I could own and make money with time!  Brother in law has a focus RS and it's the same.

That being said, I'll still buy a car based upon my heart, and as a result finances tend to be ignored

[mention=57757]Jgtcracer[/mention] Marcus  the reliability of the M2 not read anything of real consequence but it's early days as yet, negatives from the one owner I know the rude what ever the setting is hard especially on broken surfaces and this is from a man that had an an 08 isF for 3 years!
His is a manual which has the blip control for the throttle which can only be disabled if you fully switch off the traction control- not ideal.
The build quality he describes as ok, but in reality it is no baby M3/M4 it is not a proper M car despite all the hype again in his opinion.
Oh and anybody who lives north of Gloucester will have to bear in mind the security of these cars at home burglary for the keys wheels being nicked and so on, it's a massive problem for M cars Audi S/RS  and the performance Mercs.
It's an aspect of ownership of these cars I personally believe can't be ignored.
Big Rat

Why north of Gloucester?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

@stevet From all the other afore  mentioned models and associated forums these are the models mostly likely to be stolen as a resort of burglary knifepoint robbery and so on.

Those forces north of Gloucestershire have specific uniform / plain clothes units set up to deal with what is becoming an increasingly common crime, I see you live in Cheshire the North West is one of the worst they have some if busiest interceptor teams in the country.The itv Tonight programme highlighted it a couple of nights ago the figures in the Midlands and up North are shocking car theft up 30% this year alone.

Over 230 cars stolen in one district of Manchester in one week 5000 this year, most of which were German performance cars and Suv's the figures read the same for the West Mids North East, Leeds Bradford and so on.

It is not confined just up North Essex London etc but what is being highlighted is the sheer level of violence being used against Police and members of the public by this scum in the Midlands and further North.

The figures go  on and on in one small 'middle class' are of Cheshire there were 251 house burglaries just to steal the car keys in 19 days!

Stick with Lexus matey it seems a lot safer 😏

Big Rat

4 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@Jgtcracer Your right money can’t be ignored the RS residuals are pretty good as probably the M2 as well, though perhaps not to 1M levels !

Manual or DCT for you then ?

🐀

The 1M costs are mental now! I'm really not a fan of the focus RS, it's an impressive motor but the whole fast ford scene isn't for me.

I would of always said manual in the last but since the ISF I think I'm a bit of a convert to the whole paddle shift thing.  An M2 is on the list of cars but it's just 1 of many I'd consider, RCF, Cayman S, A45 AMG, GSF, RS6, new civic type r.  I'm a bit bi polar with cars but the RCF is different.   

Marcus

@Jgtcracer Salavating at your list Matey, having driven Gsf’s Many times and a rear seat passenger in one being driven ‘enthusiastically ‘ on the Evo triangle only a week ago I’m smitten 😁

Thankyou @Mark G 

Never had an Audi done the Cayman S thing wouldn’t pay that kind of money for a four cylinder Cayman...... so I think I’ll just stick with Japanese.

Had one of those A45 AMG things go past me the other day sounded nice 👍, but 4 cylinder turbo again !

🐀

Hi Marcus,

I couldn't get a good impression of the M2 pace; it was a wet day so I was being extra careful with someone else's car. I would say Impreza STI levels of grunt as a best guess. 

5 hours ago, MNMJ said:

Hi Marcus,

I couldn't get a good impression of the M2 pace; it was a wet day so I was being extra careful with someone else's car. I would say Impreza STI levels of grunt as a best guess. 

Really, I'm rather underwhelmed by that.  Must get a go in one me thinks!!

I used to laugh at these reliability surveys in the noughties when I was driving rock solid Land Rovers which were supposed to be "unreliable" but I have to say this year I'm breathing a big sigh of relief having bought a Lexus and Mitsubishi after ditching JLR following 6 nightmare years - especially as I previously owned 2 RR Sports that came last and now have an Outlander that came first in the SUV group:yes:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links