Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Key Not Detected - Where is the receiver

I have trouble locking/unlocking/Starting my car when parked in a particular car park, I think there must be some local interference as I have had similar issues with other cars in the same car park. 

What I can't do with the Lexus is use the key to start the car so last night I was sat like a lemon in my car just getting the 'Key not Detected' message for about 5 minutes after which it picked up the key and I was able to start the car.

Just wondered where the receiver is located so that I can try putting the key as close as I can to it?

Before anyone suggests this, I was going to change the fob Battery today but didn't have a screwdriver with me so couldn't get to the Battery.   

Thanks

Don't think you need a screwdriver Andrew, take key out, use key end to pry case apart, there a recess the right size.

Believe there a sensor at front headlining area, but may be incorrect. Check the parts images online, they will show you where, ish, they are I'm sure.

Thanks for the responses, off home now so fingers crossed!

Robert, Maybe I have a different key fob, when I took the cover off mine (part of one side slides off)  I was faced with a cover with 4 screws, it looks like the Battery is under that.

O sorry, not going well here, thought our keys would have been the same but see your car an 07 whereas mine an 06, so guess screws were added in 07 lol

The RAC couldn't get my old Chevy started, it wouldn't unlock with the fob and the immobiliser would come off, so they towed it. They kept it overnight with the intention of taking it to the dealers the following day. Next day they tried to start it and it was fine. It happened again in a different place, so we pushed it twenty yards across the car park, it started and it never happened again.

There was a mobile phone mast nearby on both occasions, so maybe it has something to do with that.

Had same with a range rover immobiliser at Bluewater or whatever's it's called, big shopping place in Essex Kent way. 

Waited 4 hrs for breakdown to show up, then he run out of hours whilst driving us back to norfolk so had to drop us and wait for another. Finally got home about 10hrs from call out, circa 3am, and when he rolled it off the flatbed, was fine and started without issue lol.

Think the moral is that these cars should have overrides and we should know them lol.

14 hours ago, ds001 said:

I have trouble locking/unlocking/Starting my car when parked in a particular car park, I think there must be some local interference as I have had similar issues with other cars in the same car park. 

What I can't do with the Lexus is use the key to start the car so last night I was sat like a lemon in my car just getting the 'Key not Detected' message for about 5 minutes after which it picked up the key and I was able to start the car.

Just wondered where the receiver is located so that I can try putting the key as close as I can to it?

Before anyone suggests this, I was going to change the fob battery today but didn't have a screwdriver with me so couldn't get to the battery.   

Thanks

I've suffered from this on the GS a few times but only in a specific place here in Leicester. Used to happen on my Cayenne and Accord I had previously too (that wasn't keyless but it stopped the unlock/lock button on the fob from working). Anyway, did the manual key thing to get into the car and then held the remote right up against the start/stop button. After a couple of attempts it recognised it.

Don't quite understand what kind of interference could be being generated in this particular location :(

Thanks all, seems the problem with the location isn't unique to me, this morning it locked with the fob but I parked at the opposite end of the car park and had to walk around the car twice pressing the button.  I'm not sure changing the Battery is going to make much difference but for the sake of a few ££ probably worth trying.

Stevet, your tip of holding the fob next to the start/stop button worked a treat last night so thanks for that!

30 minutes ago, Verbout said:

Doesn’t a message come up on the dash (when key not detected) telling you to hold the key next to the stop/start button, unless I’m dreaming.

Just a red triangle and a message saying "Key not detected"

I see this regularly when my son takes the keys away, to open the gates and garage doors. The car runs fine until I stop the engine. It won't then restart until the key is back in the car.

It is also interesting to note that the doors will not lock, from the door handles, with the keys in the car.

5 hours ago, AmbroseJohn said:

Just a red triangle and a message saying "Key not detected"

I see this regularly when my son takes the keys away, to open the gates and garage doors. The car runs fine until I stop the engine. It won't then restart until the key is back in the car.

It is also interesting to note that the doors will not lock, from the door handles, with the keys in the car.

Yes I know it does that when the key’s out of range, but when the car will not start, due to “key not detected” a message comes up telling you to hold the key to the stop/start button.

4 hours ago, Verbout said:

Yes I know it does that when the key’s out of range, but when the car will not start, due to “key not detected” a message comes up telling you to hold the key to the stop/start button.

So how can the car determined whether the key is out of range or the Battery is flat?

8 hours ago, AmbroseJohn said:

So how can the car determined whether the key is out of range or the battery is flat?

I give up. Maybe mine just does it because it’s called Christine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links