Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Needing advice on a possible Bluetooth issue

When I picked up my new, to me, is300h premier premium and shown the ropes the sales guy asked if it like him to pair my phone to the car. I said yes. It took a few attempts before my phone connected. My phone is the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

Ok I thought and the car proceeded to copy my phone content list and messages. Great I thought and of I went.

I could get text message on my infotainment screen which the nice lady read aloud to me. I even got emails showing. I could listen to my music c/o spotify. I did notice however that the track listing didn't change as the track changed. A couple days later no text messages came up on screen but did on my phone and no emails either. 

I did a reboot of my phone but no joy. I removed my phone from the cars Bluetooth and then struggled to pair it to the car. I've managed it bug my phone stated lots of times to make sure that lexus Bluetooth was on. It was.

My contact list is on but text messages and emails are not coming through. 

Have there been any issues with the lexus Bluetooth module?

I've read on here how to do a system reset by pressing and keeping pressed the volume control. I'll try that tomorrow. 

I'd welcome all replies. 

I only got my car last Saturday that I may have to phone them to see what they can do.

20 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

When I picked up my new, to me, is300h premier premium and shown the ropes the sales guy asked if it like him to pair my phone to the car. I said yes. It took a few attempts before my phone connected. My phone is the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

Ok I thought and the car proceeded to copy my phone content list and messages. Great I thought and of I went.

I could get text message on my infotainment screen which the nice lady read aloud to me. I even got emails showing. I could listen to my music c/o spotify. I did notice however that the track listing didn't change as the track changed. A couple days later no text messages came up on screen but did on my phone and no emails either. 

I did a reboot of my phone but no joy. I removed my phone from the cars bluetooth and then struggled to pair it to the car. I've managed it bug my phone stated lots of times to make sure that lexus Bluetooth was on. It was.

My contact list is on but text messages and emails are not coming through. 

Have there been any issues with the lexus Bluetooth module?

I've read on here how to do a system reset by pressing and keeping pressed the volume control. I'll try that tomorrow. 

I'd welcome all replies. 

I only got my car last Saturday that I may have to phone them to see what they can do.

Some phones are difficult to pair to the system although its a bit hit and miss as to which ones.

I've had no trouble with HTC, Samsung and Huawei 

Your car may need a firmware update if its running on a very early system and they seem to cure Bluetooth issues most of the time

Hi Rayaans and thanks. I didn't have any Bluetooth issues with the 14 plate car I had but this 64 plate seems to have a glitch. I'm expecting a phone call from the dealer as he said he would and I'll mention about a software update.

Today I thought I'd listen to music via the aux socket. I didn't notice a difference to music quality over Bluetooth so I swapped back but low and behold even tho my phone was connected I couldn't get any music to play. I shut the car down and restarted it and guess what the music came on.

Come on lexus Stockport I'm waiting for my call lol

My experience with the Mk.1 300h was there was a lot of niggles with the voice activation system, connectivity continuity, & Black Screens in the first 6 months.

I had my Iphone & my Bud had a Samsung.

We had c.6 software upgrades between August 2013 & December 2013 & we suffered no issues after that.

Therefore , I conclude it is a phone issue   Can you not try another phone which is a doddle to secure @ a Dealer or Phone Shop ?

Tel

Hi Tel. Thanks for your input. How can I find out what version software my car has? 

I do happen to have another phone to try but my note 4 connects successfully to my earpiece and tv soundbar and connected to my last 3 cars with no issues at all. But out of curiosity I'll try a Samsung s5 that I have.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post latest info. I googled this problem and found a site specific to the note 4. A few problems to do with Bluetooth and one cure is to clear the cashe within the phones Bluetooth. I was thinking today that it may be an app on my phone messing some things up. Since my main issue is with Spotify I thought it could be that. 

Anyway I cleared the cashe and now I can receive texts and emails to my car whether I'm playing a CD or listening to the radio and music from spotify. 

Happy days But track listing still don't change when the next track plays. Clicking on the pause or play buttons have no effect. 

My phone is Bluetooth version 4 but the cars Bluetooth is version 1.

Blimey before this lexus I've had 5 fords ranging from 12 plate to 64 plate and  each one performed flawlessly on Bluetooth with my note 4. So I'm wondering why such an old and unreliable version of Bluetooth is being used by lexus. The mind boggles.

It' weird that the names in my phone appear in the cars phonebook. However when I get a text no senders name appears, just their phone number.

Anyway the cars booked in to lexus to suss the problem. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd update this issue. Took my car into Lexus Stockport where they did a software update. This cured the auto pairing of phone and audio player. 

However when it came to names showing to text messages it was the same in that no names showed. The Technician who did the work sat with me in my car to check the Bluetooth. He sent me a text from his phone and only his number showed in a +44 format. I saved his number from the text message and low and behold his name appeared in the next text he sent.

I left a happy bunny only to be miffed when 2 mins later my daughter texted me and only her number showed. I carried on home where upon I unpaired my phone and even deleted all numbers and messages (after saving them on my laptop). After re pairing (taking 5 attempts ) the same appeared as in no names except for the technicians text.

I spoke with him and between us decided to change all my numbers to start with +44. So after unpairing and re pairing (after another 5 attempts) the text messages now show who they came from as in their name.

So to sum up. If you want the names to appear when a text message comes in then make sure their number in your phone starts with a +44. It' long winded but that' how it is.

Lexus unfortunately use an old Bluetooth module which can present problems. Updating software cures some problems but won't solve all. You have to work around it. 

So there you have it. My possible problem solved.

I forgot to mention that after changing all my contacts numbers to start +44 when they phoned me they came up as unknown. So back to my phone to input my contacts numbers again. 

So now my contacts have 2 numbers in my phone. 1 normal and 1 as +44. This means the car picks up a message and displays their name and calls display names also. What a kerfuffle. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Maybe stick to driving and making/receiving the odd call whilst driving and then leave all the texts and emails to another time and when not driving?

That's not the point though: we pay a lot of money for cars that are advertised as having all kinds of bells and whistles and it is fair to expect those bells and whistles  to work, otherwise there is no point at all in paying the extra money for a premium car. Furthermore, a lot of us rely on these systems to do what they are supposed to do in support of our work/businesses. It is not always practical to have to stop to read and respond to messages: rightly or wrongly - this is another debate - the expectation placed on a lot of us these days is to always be "ON". I am on call 24x7 and can spend 4+ hours each day in my car. Not being reachable or available is often not an option (I work in Business Continuity / Crisis Management / Disaster Recovery).

Incidentally, m wife's Peugeot 208 supports full Google / IOS integration: at the push of a button at the end of the indicator stalk you can get the nice lady to read your text messages and she'll ask if you want to dictate a reply, ask her to read you the weather or the news, warn you of traffic ahead etc, start/stop navigation, check the closing time of a shop on  your way home, add reminders to your calendar and items to your shopping list, warn you of forthcoming appointments, select playlists on Spotify etc etc. As much as I like Lexus cars, it's about time they caught up, not with the best but with the rest with regards to infotainment and connectivity.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DanD said:

That's not the point though: we pay a lot of money for cars that are advertised as having all kinds of bells and whistles and it is fair to expect those bells and whistles  to work, otherwise there is no point at all in paying the extra money for a premium car. Furthermore, a lot of us rely on these systems to do what they are supposed to do in support of our work/businesses. It is not always practical to have to stop to read and respond to messages: rightly or wrongly - this is another debate - the expectation placed on a lot of us these days is to always be "ON". I am on call 24x7 and can spend 4+ hours each day in my car. Not being reachable or available is often not an option (I work in Business Continuity / Crisis Management / Disaster Recovery).

Incidentally, m wife's Peugeot 208 supports full Google / IOS integration: at the push of a button at the end of the indicator stalk you can get the nice lady to read your text messages and she'll ask if you want to dictate a reply, ask her to read you the weather or the news, warn you of traffic ahead etc, start/stop navigation, check the closing time of a shop on  your way home, add reminders to your calendar and items to your shopping list, warn you of forthcoming appointments, select playlists on Spotify etc etc. As much as I like Lexus cars, it's about time they caught up, not with the best but with the rest with regards to infotainment and connectivity.

Here's a though. We all know Lexus are not the best in this area. A short period of internet research will show this and an extended test drive will also do the same. If these things really matter, don't buy a Lexus.

16 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Excellently put Dan

My word Paul. Was you in a mood or similar with your post? Sorry pal but that post of yours was pure drivel.

No not at all. I didn't criticise anyone, I just offered an alternative view. Bit tongue in cheek yes but an alternative view. I happen to think that manufacturers are putting too much technology in cars that distract drivers from the act of driving and it will take a number of future reviews and assessment of accident figures over an extended time before this trend is reversed. The problem is that for a significant number of people,  infotainment and connectivity are now number 1 in their needs from a car. Manufacturers know this too. Well, maybe not Lexus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Here's a though. We all know Lexus are not the best in this area. A short period of internet research will show this and an extended test drive will also do the same. If these things really matter, don't buy a Lexus.

And I totally agree with you. For me, the functionality of the infotainment system rates below quality, comfort, design, reliability and quality of service and these are good enough for me to remain loyal to the brand. Don't get me wrong, the quality and reliability of the infotainment system are very good, I just get frustrated with its lack of functionality and intuitiveness. Thankfully, I am familiar enough with the various Lexus models to find my way around it fairly easily... I remain hopeful that Lexus will eventually come to its senses!

@Paulmx I then withdraw my comment about your post being drivel. I can appreciate where you're coming from with regards infotainment systems having the ability to be a distraction. I' d even put money on someone indesposed  (is that the right spelling? ) by their info sysem that they have a crash But where I'm concerned is if my car has the ability to accept phone calls text messages and even emails then I want those functions to work.

Yes lexus make fabulous cars but what gets me is they're a premium Japanese company (Japanese where most tech is invented) that can' keep up with let's say Ford. My last 6 cars were Ford (except for the is300h I had last year) and their tech was way better than lexus fit in their cars. It' daft. I've had to faff about to finally get the function to work but in the Fords it was as simple as plug n play.

I know I'm not the only one who had this issue and that' why I've posted this thread so that anyone can read it and learn from it and even pass on the info.

All great answers and inputs to this thread and I'm truly greatful to all involved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm disappointed by the usability of the info in my car but....... It sounds incredible and I use next to none of it while on the move and it's never crashed or given me any trouble (other than with a Iphone 6 which I swapped for USB stick just for music) It works fine with my phone which isn't even on the lexus compatibility list.

I'll take that. They will all be out of date eventually.

I'd rather have good sound and poor screen the great screen and average sound.

Trying to be positive.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I take it you have the ML system? This is my 2nd is300h with ML and my 1st cars system was disappointing but this cars is outstanding. 

2 ML systems exactly the same in the same car yet both so different. 

Yeah ML, amazing power and clairty. Before that had a 13 speaker system which was also ace with a nice warm sound. Had a courtesy ct200 other week and it was garbage. That would stop me buying the car. It wouldnt stop me buying a 5k runabout used car but it would stop me at those kind of prices new. I also found it much more confusing to navigate than the rc.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Paul. You can actually exceed ML performance by 1stly sound deadening the door skins. Then replace the speakers with uprated items. Also introduce an external power amp to drive those speakers. Then get the Alpine SWE 815 subwoofer. I have one and it totally belies it's size and is better than the ML sub. 

In my mondeo it was fitted with uprated speakers and an amp. Fully sound deadened and playing Bach toccata and fugue the bass notes shook the car. The ML doesn' t.

Any cars hifi can be improved. It's knowing how to. I'm a former semi pro car hifi installer starting in the 80's till early 90's. 

I' thinking of disconnecting the ML sub and installing my Alpine and running the ML sub signal to the Alpine and power from the Battery in the boot. Thinking of where to get remote power from tho.

Go to a car hifi shop and make some enquiries. You just may be suprised.