Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

'Shed of the Week' this week

Well they were a bit more complementary about the ride of this than they were in the article yesterday regarding this.........

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driven/lexus-lc500-driven/36986

Was a well kept LS it must be said, so just how much is the work needed on the car at 100k likely to cost ?

Big Rat

Well, I costed bushes, ball joints, susension arms-possible age related things at close to £2000! Same 'value' as the car nearly, at the time.

these are big heavy cars and costs aren't cheap just because the skewed market depreciates things so much.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

Well, I costed bushes, ball joints, susension arms-possible age related things at close to £2000! Same 'value' as the car nearly, at the time.

these are big heavy cars and costs aren't cheap just because the skewed market depreciates things so much.

But still, those items are potentials for any V8 barge?

I'll ignore the PH comments for now, but may have to wade in after a couple of glasses of Malbec :)

"....and ANOTHER thing!...." <hic>

an Ls400 at 100k miles is quite unlikely to suffer any costs related to suspension/steering stuff woes, nor waterpump nor alternator nor steering box and if this is a Mk3 then the steering column motors are unlikely ever to need attention. The starter motor is quite invincible too if it was dealt with under the Lexus recall for that specific Mk3 component.

At about 150/160k miles one might start to need replacement bits and bobs !

16 years driving Mk1 and Mk2 and of that some 6.5 years driving my Mk3 now at 200k miles

They seem to be very often rather more robust than the Ls430 and if a UK supplied car will not have that dreaded air suspension which might start to cause issues at 100k together with the radiator/gearbox specifics too

Malc

• Like 2

These cars are undervalued and if you want to run very cheaply you would just service using cheaper non Lexus parts.

The 400 is an incredibly low £ maintenance compared with any other vehicle. Yes any.

If you fit Lexus parts you fit and forget for a long term.

Barge in looks maybe but not in nature. Put in sport mode and bury that peddle. Now see.

For less the cost of a Ford or Fiat cam belt change, all my pulleys, pumps, belts, tensioner are ok for 90k miles. Genuine brakes will be same £ as a modern saloon but will last longer and perform in s different league.

Please don’t believe a word of this so Lexus owners and enthusiasts can enjoy silly prices and a range of great cars. 😉

• Like 2

Hi,

I was the lucky person who picked the car up. It's a great car, nothing really wrong with it as far as I can see, the right side light washer seems blocked and the obvious cam-belt needs changing, last change in 1999 @ 66000 miles (only 30k done since...). Also only 1 key. 

So anywhere near East London where I can get the belts changed that's not too extortionate? I called Lexus who quoted £700 and I got a quote for parts which was ~£500. Is it possible to get done for less or is it a case of just go for it!

Cheers

Henry

Henry

Well done you have yourself a first class car at a bargain price.the options are varied for the belt changes but as the belt is over ten years old it should be changed I chose a Lexus dealership but because my car had only 20k mileage I did not have a kit change so the cost was £350 including the belt.

My car did its Mot this morning sailed through with a fan club forming at my local garage and a refusal to let me have the car back as everyone wanted to buy it.

Henry, at 96k miles you would indeed be unfortunate to need anything other than the cambelt itself......  BUT words on here might suggest you go ahead and do all the peripherals and the waterpump too ..............  and while your at it the starter motor bushes whilst all the gubbins is being taken apart

I personally would take a bit of a " chance ", if that's the word, and not bother with anything other than the belt itself ............. and worry about it all again at 200k miles

If it's a Mk3 then get Lexus to confirm if the starter motor recall was dealt with on your car ................  it only applied to the Mk3 I think .... if not then  if they do that recall for free ( as they should )  then that should save shed loads of time/ cost£££  for when you have the cambelt replaced ( at Lexus ! ) and you could do a deal with them i would think.

Mine is on 200500 miles and the cambelt is next due at 204500 miles, next year.......  about March, that's 100k miles and 11 years since it was last done. In my Full Lexus Service History ( prior to my buying the car ) I have found zero reference to anything other than the cambelt itself having been replaced .........  no peripherals nor waterpump and Lexus confirmed there was no recall outstanding for my starter motor.

Your choice though what to do of course :unsure:

Malc

3 hours ago, ambermarine said:

Henry

Well done you have yourself a first class car at a bargain price.the options are varied for the belt changes but as the belt is over ten years old it should be changed I chose a Lexus dealership but because my car had only 20k mileage I did not have a kit change so the cost was £350 including the belt.

My car did its Mot this morning sailed through with a fan club forming at my local garage and a refusal to let me have the car back as everyone wanted to buy it.

Yeah, that was me at the front of that queue; got up at 5 to get there........(-:

Pistonheads still having its "I can't believe a luxobarge doesn't empty your wallet" moment. The LC500 review fails to note that the roads in the UK are now poorer than in South Africa and other developing nations, and a car built for the US won't ride as well on them. Large wheels are a disaster for ride comfort across the board.

Any heavy car will start needing suspension refreshes from about 60k miles on. The fact that the LS400 will still cope admirably if things are ignored is an amazing thing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Malc said:

Henry, at 96k miles you would indeed be unfortunate to need anything other than the cambelt itself......  BUT words on here might suggest you go ahead and do all the peripherals and the waterpump too ..............  and while your at it the starter motor bushes whilst all the gubbins is being taken apart

I personally would take a bit of a " chance ", if that's the word, and not bother with anything other than the belt itself ............. and worry about it all again at 200k miles

If it's a Mk3 then get Lexus to confirm if the starter motor recall was dealt with on your car ................  it only applied to the Mk3 I think .... if not then  if they do that recall for free ( as they should )  then that should save shed loads of time/ cost£££  for when you have the cambelt replaced ( at Lexus ! ) and you could do a deal with them i would think.

Mine is on 200500 miles and the cambelt is next due at 204500 miles, next year.......  about March, that's 100k miles and 11 years since it was last done. In my Full Lexus Service History ( prior to my buying the car ) I have found zero reference to anything other than the cambelt itself having been replaced .........  no peripherals nor waterpump and Lexus confirmed there was no recall outstanding for my starter motor.

Your choice though what to do of course :unsure:

Malc

It's a good idea, thanks. Whoever takes it apart can inspect the other parts to see if they need replacing too, although I suspect they'd say they did for a small fee! I see you're in Kent, are there any recommended garages to take it to in the South East?

15 minutes ago, Newbie1 said:

Pistonheads still having its "I can't believe a luxobarge doesn't empty your wallet" moment. The LC500 review fails to note that the roads in the UK are now poorer than in South Africa and other developing nations, and a car built for the US won't ride as well on them. Large wheels are a disaster for ride comfort across the board.

Any heavy car will start needing suspension refreshes from about 60k miles on. The fact that the LS400 will still cope admirably if things are ignored is an amazing thing.

Yes, I completely agree. The amount of people who have said to 'put some big wheels on it' and 'drop it to the floor' just don't get the point of the car: refined, discrete, luxury motoring. 

This is possibly the cheapest parts deal, though I haven't worked out the import duty. 8%?  I bougtht genuine Lexus parts and you don't even get a water pump gasket with them.  Over £600. £12 just for the centre bolt.

Always change the Water pump and parts same time as my own was starting to weep at 113k miles. Just doesn't make sense not to change it as all the front is off.   (IMO)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-97-Lexus-LS400-SC400-4-0L-DOHC-Timing-Belt-Water-Pump-Tensioner-Kit-1UZFE/281137714959?hash=item41751d170f:g:5aUAAOxyi3FR5sGB&vxp=mtr#shpCntId

henners: I've done it before but I will recommend Tech One Toyota in Sidcup for work on an LS400. They're OK with using parts supplied by you, too (but be nice to your car and only use Toyota suspension parts :-)

On the subject of wheels, I just don't get the large luxury cars you see around with 18 inch wheels or more. Must be a terrible ride. I've changed my Soarer wheels from 18 inches to 17 as the ride was too rough. Much better! 

Great stuff, Sidcup is just down the road from where I live. As the car was so cheap but so sturdy I have no problem treating it and myself to quality parts. As people have said, you know you'll get value for money from the longevity point of view!

3 hours ago, henners999 said:

Yes, I completely agree. The amount of people who have said to 'put some big wheels on it' and 'drop it to the floor' just don't get the point of the car: refined, discrete, luxury motoring. 

Yes. Memories of my Citroen DS; the best riding car ever. . Fantastic suspension that included 205/70/15 tyres as essential factor in it all.

No 'elastic' band tyres here!

(N.b. The handbook gave two choices of tyre quality.  If you chose the lesser "Do not cruise at speeds exceeding 100mph'

"Cruise'!!)

ds garden.bmp

Just got a quote from Grove Garage, Brighton to replace all belts/tensioners @ £700. I've heard they're quite a good place so maybe worth a trip there. Can't seem to find anything around the £500 figure which I've seen others quoted unfortunately...

On 10/31/2017 at 2:06 PM, Chris Skelton said:

Yes. Memories of my Citroen DS; the best riding car ever. . Fantastic suspension that included 205/70/15 tyres as essential factor in it all.

No 'elastic' band tyres here!

(N.b. The handbook gave two choices of tyre quality.  If you chose the lesser "Do not cruise at speeds exceeding 100mph'

"Cruise'!!)

ds garden.bmp

I'd love a DS, I'm guessing not too reliable though, being French and all.