Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashcam

PaulWhitt20

Not a discussion about which is best or how to fit.

Why do people feel the need to have one, what benefit have they been? Have you used the evidence in an insurance claim or other prosecution?

It seems to me that the people with dashcams are the ones you need a dashcam to protect yourself from!

Discuss....

Hi I have RX 400 H. I bought dash cam this year . I’m an advanced driver with the IAM, so I’m not a boy racer. I bought it for my own protection. I’ve got one of those next base cameras which is very good in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fun to make videos with but haven't actually used it for anything useful yet

Sods law probably says that you'll be involved in an accident when you don't have a dashcam, and when you get one, nothing interesting happens

This...

Why do I need a dashcam?

As it happens, I also have a dashcam fitted in my motorhome and now have something like a terabyte of video data which should keep me occupied in my dotage as I try to edit it into something memorable and/or entertaining :smile:

• Like 3

I have one "just in case"  Apart from that, some friends of ours were staying at a remote cottage in Cornwall where we go, and it's hard to find.  So I recorded the route there and put it on an SD card for them!  A great little bit of technology.  

• Like 2

This...

As it happens, I also have a dashcam fitted in my motorhome and now have something like a terabyte of video data which should keep me occupied in my dotage as I try to edit it into something memorable and/or entertaining smile.gif

Ok I see the point, not much you could do about that one. I wonder if they got caught. Still left with a damaged car and no one to claim against. Should she have got their details and not shown them the dash cam? Then passed it onto the police.

A dash cam prevents fraud, captures idiots/imcompetence/maliciousness, and doesn't cost a fortune.....whereas encountering any of the forementioned without a cam, could cost you a small fortune. To me its a no-brainer.

4 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi,

Just to let you know that a number of our schemes do offer discounts of up to 15% for the fitment of a HD dash cam.

Thanks,

Dan.

Ah yes, but, assuming we remove our dashcams at night to avoid some scrote breaking in to nick it, what happens if one day we forget to replace it and that's the day that we're involved in an accident. Having given us a discount on the basis of having a dashcam, what would happen when the camera wasn't there to record anything? Refuse to pay out? Pay a reduced amount equal to the discount applied? Make no difference?

6 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Ok I see the point, not much you could do about that one. I wonder if they got caught. Still left with a damaged car and no one to claim against. Should she have got their details and not shown them the dash cam? Then passed it onto the police.

Should have contacted the police straight away and not mentioned the camera at all.

On 28/10/2017 at 8:00 AM, PaulWhitt20 said:

The answer to your question would be yes, certainly. 

NEVER say you have a dashcam - let them find out themselves when they're caught.