Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake pad advice

Surebet

Checked rear brake pads today, will need to do them in the next few months, don't do a big mileage or drive car hard so don't require high performance pads. Whats the general opinion on the pads eurocarparts stock. Have seen Normski2 mentioning Rockauto in the US as being good for price and service( albeit I think he was talking about slide pins which are hard to source here), checked site and pad prices seem very low compared with pads in UK. Also US you-tubes appear to rate 3M Silicon grease for the slide pins as being the best however difficult to source in UK at reasonable price for small amount, any comparable silicon grease for same purpose here. Hoping to pick the brains of those members with experience having done this job and what products have proved reliable with respect to brake pads and type of grease used. Also used to use Shell Engine Oil (Helix Ultra Professional AG Engine Oil - 5W-30 - 5ltr) for my last car , Mercedes, with no issues, great price at eurocarparts at the moment with discount, anyone use it for their IS or am I better sticking to Toyota parts and oil.   Look forward to all advice.  

Hi Bob

Thanks very much for replying, the post of  January 25th is fantastic and just the information I was after. Didn't see it when it was originally posted as I was not a Lexus owner then. Still trying to get to grips in sourcing all the excellent information the site holds. 

All the best.

Alan

• Like 1

Regarding calliper pin grease I have been using Red Rubber Grease for the last 3 brake services and found it very good, it is quite viscous and unlike other grease remains on the pins between servicing. You can buy a small tub which will last ages as it only requires a thin smear.

If you are looking for genuine Lexus brake parts check out the Lexus Birmingham shop on eBay as they sometimes have decent prices.

Make sure you keep an eye on those slide pins. I've just done mine again at the weekend. Doing them twice a year now.

Newbie has put up an excellent guide to brake pads, slide pins and discs too. Worth searching out.

You can get perfectly good deals on brake parts in the UK...the offers are always spooling around. I was getting the Oxygen sensors from Rockauto in the USA. 

I noticed a bit of caliper/pad/ironware noise on Thurs last week when reversing and braking uphill on my drive. This time I have put a tiny smidge of copper grease at the point where the bolt passes through the back edge of the pad (on the rear calipers) just to see if that snagged it. It seems to have as its been silent since. 

Only use the Red Toyota grease or a recognized slide pin grease. Standard LM grease is no good at all. Once you've done it a couple of times you'll get all 4 done in an hour or so.

Check these out

Thanks for replying Steve and Normski, taken your advice and purchased Red rubber grease and got the pads from local Toyota Dealership, sold me them at trade price (35.00) which I thought was very reasonable. Still to tackle the job however no real hurry as existing pads still have 3_4 mm left on them. 

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great price for the OEM pads. 

I've fitted brembo OE replacement pads for the fronts, sitting on MTEC grooved and dimpled rotors with calipers with new Frentech slide pins.. I was nearly thrown out my seat just touching the brake pedal. The previous owner had put on awful Blueprint ADT parts (front and rears can be had for less than £25), performance was weak and may have even contributed to finishing my disc's.