Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LPG Tank size?

Hello All,

I have just purchased a 2005 RX300 SE-L and am about to convert it to LPG. I am looking to get the biggest tank that I can to replace the spare wheel. I have been told by my local installer that a 65L is the biggest he can fit. While searching the internet I found a thread on here saying that a member (Sorcerer) had had an 85L tank fitted? If so does anyone know the dimensions of the 85L tank. I think it was fitted by LPGC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to add this is a great site any very informative!

Mine is indeed an 85-Litre doughnut tank and the most gas I've managed to get in was on one cold winter day when it took 75.3 litres.

You've probably seen the photos already but in the one below, 1 is the Flashlube reservoir, 2 is the gas ECU and 3 is the gas reducer. You can't really see much of the tank but the next picture shows tank and filler point. If you're not going to tow anything then that's a great place for the filler because you can easily fill from both sides.

EDIT: I've just noticed that you've got the SE-L so it'll have air suspension. I have no idea where the compressor is located but maybe it's something to do with that - either compressor or pipework - that may be stopping him fitting an 85-litre tank for you? I don't know, just a complete guess.

engine.jpg.00e0b0c3985fb7db6161609554608fd6.jpg

tank.jpg.81df989a54c069045aee62e7ac924d82.jpg

• Like 1

I hunted out the paperwork and unfortunately, there are no dimensions on there, just says that it's an 85L toroidal tank manufactured by Irene and gives the tank number (the unique manufacturing number, not a model number). Hope that helps in some way.

Many thanks for the info Sorcerer. I've looked underneath and there seems to be plenty of room. Think I'll take the car in and get them to measure up, just to be on the safe side. Will look up the Irene 85L toroidal tank though to check dimensions.

Thanks again.

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:01 PM, sorcerer said:

Mine is indeed an 85-Litre doughnut tank and the most gas I've managed to get in was on one cold winter day when it took 75.3 litres.

You've probably seen the photos already but in the one below, 1 is the Flashlube reservoir, 2 is the gas ECU and 3 is the gas reducer. You can't really see much of the tank but the next picture shows tank and filler point. If you're not going to tow anything then that's a great place for the filler because you can easily fill from both sides.

EDIT: I've just noticed that you've got the SE-L so it'll have air suspension. I have no idea where the compressor is located but maybe it's something to do with that - either compressor or pipework - that may be stopping him fitting an 85-litre tank for you? I don't know, just a complete guess.

tank.jpg.81df989a54c069045aee62e7ac924d82.jpg

When I see something like this, I got paranoid that if somebody reversing and there is some obstacle that obstacle can easily damage lpg tank...  

2 hours ago, Finzky said:

When I see something like this, I got paranoid that if somebody reversing and there is some obstacle that obstacle can easily damage lpg tank...  

Nah, the LPG tanks are actually built to the same standard as boilers (steam trains, factories, power stations etc) or any other pressure vessel and have to go through extremely rigorous testing both during and after manufacture.

• 2 months later...

Indeed, LPG tanks are made to be be safe. The car can have a massive rear end impact where the rear end crumples heavily to the point that the car is a total write off, even so the LPG tank will remain intake. The petrol tanks stand much greater chance of rupturing than the LPG tanks. Most petrol tanks these days are made from plastic. 

Even in case of a vehicle fire, a petrol tank will explode, whereas a (properly fitted) LPG tank will vent fuel at a controlled rate instead.

Rest assured you are safe. 

@Metalnkey Did you have the install done and if so what size tank did you have installed in the end ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links