Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashboard rattles

Decided to pull bits of the car apart today to see what rattles so much from my side air vents.

So after removing a few panels the vent pops out the dash with abit of force (watch out for the vent light cable). Under the vent is a plastic linkage that opens / closes the vent and I'm sure this it the rattling culprit because the rattles improved with the vents closed. Anyways I've smothered the linkage in thick grease so hopefully that's it. 

I'll take the car out tomorrow and update. Then see what's involved with the passenger side.

IMG_20171030_144123.thumb.jpg.b9335a795a0889f50facf60a2114b246.jpg

IMG_20171030_144020.jpg

IMG_20171030_144102.jpg

IMG_20171030_144030.jpg

• Like 2

@mike m Cor blimey ! As they used to say in those 50’s black and white films ! I’m guessing you’ve got one of those plastic trim removal kits here’s a small selection of mine do you think they will suffice 😊

8764C7D7-095B-4F3C-8946-8DFF5A5AC0A8.png.547531cfe7495139043658e4c9f03740.png

Big Rat

So that didn't work. Had a drive with the vent out and the rattle was still there. Pin pointed it to these two cable conduits and wedging my fingers between them stopped the noise. Ended up wedging them apart with some self amalgamating tape and some fabric tape around that.

Seems to have done the trick. :smile:

IMG_20171031_124630.jpg

• Like 1

Meanwhile the passenger side was rattling so I pulled the vent and again found a couple of cable conduits. Same thing again amalgamating tape and fabric tape on top and seems to be fixed.

Wasn't happy to find missing metal clips from the passenger footwell trim right under the dash. It fell down when I pulled the end cover off the dash. Just needs the metal clips which should be easy enough but sometimes trying to explain to the parts guy exactly what and where it is can be hard work. Not a job for over the phone lol

IMG_20171031_125622.jpg

IMG_20171031_125026.jpg

IMG_20171031_125633.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike m said:

Just needs the metal clips which should be easy enough but sometimes trying to explain to the parts guy exactly what and where it is can be hard work. Not a job for over the phone lol

Try this https://lexus.7zap.com/en/eu/ Courtesy of one of the members here. I find it very useful.

Rattles can be a pain and can really ruin the whole ownership experience. Good luck!

• Like 2

@mike m, well done being proactive and looking into fixing the rattles/squeaks. Chafing can be very annoying...

Those V clips are a pain, had some ping around my head when I was under the dash.

@rich1068, good reminder of lexus.7zap.com - it's a great resource, that shows alternative suppliers and part#s :thumbup:

• Like 1

@Farqui they are a pain especially the one on the right hand dash panel that's pinged off twice now into oblivion. Those rattles have annoyed me since the test drive lol even then Lexus didn't manage to shut them up at the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@mike m You shall be known hence forth as ‘Rattle  Snagger’ 😂

I can see a steady stream of ‘F’s winding there way to you for noise rectification treatment!

Big Rat

Lol they better bring a bag of clips just in case.

Hopefully it will help some poor tortured soul in the future who doesn't like turning up the stereo to hide the rattles :smile:

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links