Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC Parking cam

Thinking of hard-wiring a nextbase duo - for parking protection mainly.
Anybody done one in an RC yet? Cable routing issues?

I had a blackvue DR750s front and rear camera put in mine about a month ago. Cable for the ear camera run along the drivers side door sill and cable power run down the drivers side pilar and then spliced onto a permanent live underneath the steering wheel. Also had a Power Magic, voltage meter fitted which cuts the power if the Battery drops below 11.8 volts. Fitted sourced and fitted by this company www.blackvue.co.uk Took about 1.5 hours for them to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Comedian said:

Thinking of hard-wiring a nextbase duo - for parking protection mainly.

Anybody done one in an RC yet? Cable routing issues?

Connecting is one thing,  but bow you planning to power it? 

Asking because I have camera with parking mode, but cannot get any source to power it over 12h, except of draining main 12v Battery which would eventually kill it as its not meant for such purpose. @Dave McDave - on the same question, how long of parking time you get from blackvue duo before safety cut-off?

Other point - nextbase sounds cheapo, I would double on blackvue - which would match build quality with Lexus standard.

Nextbase I thought were good being one of the market leaders with insurance recognition. The problems of too much choice!

There is a low voltage cut off detector. Had planned to put it in fuse box.

I had thought it would not be recording and the Battery would only be powering a tiny current for motion detection.

The duo I liked as no need to run a wire to a rear camera.

More research required.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Nextbase if kind of mainstream, I consider market leaders somebody who develops new cutting edge technologies and makes best product, not the ones who floods the market with cheap Chinese products. Nextbase is like Fiesta or Golf of car world... in my opinion that is... besides that I don;t like the looks of their products... kind of cheap and childish, but hey that is subjective.

I guess there are different modes of parking mode itself e.g. mine turns into time-lapse and when it detects something it will start recording. If there is no time lapse I guess there is no point of parking mode. Imagine scenario... somebody throws a rock at your car and it would only start recording after rock hits the car.. so kind of pointless.

In terms of power consumtion, my camera is 1080p only front and 12000mah power bank only lasts 7-8h (I assume double camera would use double the energy). Now car Battery is effectively 48000-56000mah, but only like 20% are available, so my expectation is that with voltage protection camera would stop recording after similar 7-8h, without protection I would probably run for like 40-48h, but that would destroy the Battery.

Connecting is one thing,  but bow you planning to power it? 
Asking because I have camera with parking mode, but cannot get any source to power it over 12h, except of draining main 12v battery which would eventually kill it as its not meant for such purpose. [mention=35383]Dave McDave[/mention] - on the same question, how long of parking time you get from blackvue duo before safety cut-off?
Other point - nextbase sounds cheapo, I would double on blackvue - which would match build quality with Lexus standard.

Mine comfortably stays on over night as use the car everyday. That's includes leaving the wi fi on which then connects to the house router. Handy as I can download direst to my pc or tablet rather than having to take the SD card out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk