Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Who designs the switches and switch layout?

Whilst stuck in traffic this morning I thought I’d while away the time admiring my cockpit. Although most of it appears beautiful and logically laid out it dawned on me that there are a few anomalies and also some strange decisions made.

1.    Why do some switches have a light on them whilst others have the light in the dash? For example, the BSM switch lights up but the auto headlight shows in the dash binnacle.

2.    There is also a light on the auto wipers but not on the headlamp control. This is odd because if the lights aren’t on you can’t tell their set to auto unless you crane your neck  to look through the wheel.

3.    Why is the Parking sensor switch hidden away in the armrest? I don’t like it on most of the time but when I find myself in a tight spot I find them useful and it would be much easier to hit a switch quickly if it were on the dash.

4.    Why is the ‘hold’ button hidden away behind the steering wheel? On the centre console would make more sense.

5.    Why are the HUD controls also carefully behind the steering wheel?

6.    What is the point of the headlamp washer switch? It only works when the headlights are on and if the headlights are on and you use the windscreen washer they clean the headlights anyway!

Don’t the designers ever sit in the car, let alone drive it, to test the functionality of the switches?

Yes, I know, I really ought to get out more!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

Whilst stuck in traffic this morning I thought I’d while away the time admiring my cockpit. Although most of it appears beautiful and logically laid out it dawned on me that there are a few anomalies and also some strange decisions made.

1.    Why do some switches have a light on them whilst others have the light in the dash? For example, the BSM switch lights up but the auto headlight shows in the dash binnacle.

2.    There is also a light on the auto wipers but not on the headlamp control. This is odd because if the lights aren’t on you can’t tell their set to auto unless you crane your neck  to look through the wheel.

3.    Why is the Parking sensor switch hidden away in the armrest? I don’t like it on most of the time but when I find myself in a tight spot I find them useful and it would be much easier to hit a switch quickly if it were on the dash.

4.    Why is the ‘hold’ button hidden away behind the steering wheel? On the centre console would make more sense.

6.    What is the point of the headlamp washer switch? It only works when the headlights are on and if the headlights are on and you use the windscreen washer they clean the headlights anyway!

Don’t the designers ever sit in the car, let alone drive it, to test the functionality of the switches?

Blimey, there must have been a lot of traffic Alan !

5 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

The interior is a nice place to be, but the randomness of the button placement is indeed quite spectacular. I find the division of HVAC controls between physical buttons and on-screen controls to be amusingly arbitrary, if a little frustrating. However, I am unable to see the humour in that ridiculous recirculation button that has an 'Auto' function, but which still insists on deciding for itself to let in filthy diesel-infected air even when Auto mode is not selected. 

Points 4 and 5 are particularly frustrating, but that's not just a Lexus thing. I was once forced to resort to the user manual after being unable to work out how to set the clock time in my Prius, only to discover the adjustment controls were completely hidden behind the wheel. In a spectacular failure to learn from that experience, I subsequently drove for 3000 miles in a Hyundai Santa Fe with the centre diff locked to 4WD (helpfully displayed in an orange light in the instruments) because the switch to toggle it was, again, completely invisible behind the wheel. Only when I was clearing out the driver's door bin - just before handing the car back to the rental company - did I accidentally spot it.

Point 6, I think I might have an answer for - the headlight washers don't operate every time you wash the windscreen. I don't know what the interval is, but mine only seem to operate on the first squirt of every journey. On dirty roads in the dark, I have therefore actually used that button a few times!

2 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

However, I am unable to see the humour in that ridiculous recirculation button that has an 'Auto' function, but which still insists on deciding for itself to let in filthy diesel-infected air even when Auto mode is not selected

Point 6, I think I might have an answer for - the headlight washers don't operate every time you wash the windscreen. I don't know what the interval is, but mine only seem to operate on the first squirt of every journey. On dirty roads in the dark, I have therefore actually used that button a few times!

The recirculation button has another anomoly that the auto bit only seems to work when AC is on!

My headlamp washers seem to operate every time I use the screen wash as long as the main beam is on.

Just thought about another irritating thing. Why is there a green light on the rear view mirror telling me that auto is on? Almost as annoying as bright headlights behind me!!

Regarding point 4, I drove a Mercedes once which had a really clever hold function. All you had to do was depress the brake pedal fully for it to operate. Much more user friendly.

To answer your first question

On 31/10/2017 at 1:43 PM, Ala Larj said:

1. To give you something to think about in traffic jams

2. TIP -I can tell my lights are set to auto as they switch on without me doing anything. I visually check by looking out of the windscreen when its dark.

3. So you dont deactivate it accidentaly?

4. Hold button?

5. A hud would bug me so dont have it

6. Wow how bored were you?

And actually you need to stay in more then you wont worry about your switches!

The one thing about the GS that niggles me is, when you get in the car and need to reverse, the camera comes on but your view is obscured by messages dropping down from the top of the screen telling you the phone\portable player have connected.

My favourite button is the slfow button.

• Like 1

Lexus definitely, needs to rationalise their controls. 

I had same thoughts looking at mine:

1. windshield heating button is behind the wheel in rather awkward place, but rear window and mirrors heater is part of climate control keys?

2. same sentiment for headlamp wash, it would be logical if that would be on/off switch, because they kick-in with screen wash anyway and to be honest are total waste of washer fluid.

3. the rear shade button is behind the wheel as well, next to headlamp wash and front window heater?! Just random button in random place I guess

Going to mk3 IS or mk4 GS or RC you have all that strange steering wheel button arrangement as well:

4. e.g. BSM and auto-High Beam buttons are behind the wheel, but lane departure is on the wheel, if you have ACC/PCS then it is next to lane departure on the wheel. It would make more sense if those "safety features" would be all together.

I believe Lexus engineers actually never come together to discuss placement. Each department is task with individual function and in the end they just place control where ever they found blank space for extra button.

There is an indicator on the fuel gauge that also shows what side the filler cap is on.

The problem is that when the needle (fuel)  is low it covers the indicator completely.:wacko: