Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC300h First Service

369 days from delivery and just 7500 miles later my RC had it's first service today. All went as expected, no issues, hybrid health checked ok. 

Dealer was superb, very accommodating, right up to when I requested their LC500 as my courtesy car :zorro: No amount of cajoling would change their mind. So away I went in a brand new CT200h... :w00t:

If it didn't have a Lexus badge on it I would never have equated the two .. I'm sure the car fulfils a purpose but my word I found the car terrible.

The ride was so hard I'm sure I've chipped a tooth. The seat was totally unsupportive, no amount of adjustment helped. What on earth is that gear selector all about? The engine sounded like a rolling tin , half  filled with nuts and bolts. The throttle had no resistance behind it, not that it mattered really, there appeared to be no power either! The e-CVT clunked in and out of D, N and R. When the ICE cut in or out there was a hefty jolt. I had to double check the driver's window was closed properly the wind noise was so bad above 50mph.

On returning the car I suggested a tech take it out for a drive. All perfectly 'normal' ...

Getting back in my RC was like slipping on a nappa leather glove, so smooth, silent, comfortable. I really can't believe how different the two cars are.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

I found the car terrible.

I would add that going from IS250 to IS300h is about equivalent fall as going from 300h to 200h, but that is different topic altogether.

That said, I would be imprisoned for calling a Lexus car "terrible"... and all other words you used in your description I have used in the past as well... and I was called lunatic, but hey... at least we agree on this one...

12 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I would add that going from IS250 to IS300h is about equivalent fall as going from 300h to 200h....

Linas, when I first read this, the mere thought that you were being serious made me worry that I might be losing my sense of humour.  Please tell me

that I was wrong......:unsure:

Nemesis post reminds me when I had the Landcruiser they used to give me a Starlet Courtesy car - partly why I never bought another Toyota:rolleyes:

One of the reasons I stayed with LR so long despite all the problems was they usually supplied something better/different as courtesy cars and as mine spent a lot of time being fixed I got to drive some fun vehicles:laugh:

Camel Trophy Freelander was fun but the TDV8 Range Rover Vogue was pretty special - until it broke down and they brought an Evoque:wallbash:

I appreciate the Hybrids for what they are - it's just if you like cars for their engines then I can see why a V6 is more appealing than an inline 4 hybrid.

I'm more concerned about how NemesisUK dresses at weekends. 

My Son hated me for getting rid of the RR Sport TDV6 as he loved the engine noise and he pulled a face when I turned up in  the 300h but he's had to eat his words - the exhaust note when you hit the pedal to overtake is really superb - a lot better than the 2.0 (bag of spanners) ingenium engine in the Discovery Sport I replaced the RRS with or the PHEV (sewing machine):whistling:

LR are working on straight 6 ingenium to replace 3.0 V6 and there is outrage among owners - the V8 is staying for now at least but rumour has it they will replace that with tweaked i6 for more power too

Some owners plan to keep their V8s as they believe their days are numbered with tighter emissions

7 hours ago, Muddywheels said:

but he's had to eat his words - the exhaust note when you hit the pedal to overtake is really superb

You mean fake sound which comes from speakers?

as @Comedian said I really like v6 sound and I often spoil myself with that sound for no good reason, even if that takes me only to 25MPH... it still feels very good under acceleration. And @Rabbers - I am dead serious as always... I do admire RC300h for its looks, great seats, I liked gearbox... but when it comes to engine and some cheap plastics in interiour I honestly was glad to be back in 170k miles IS250.

What fake sound? There's noise generation for pedestrians while engine is off

From Lexus press release -

"The sound generated by the engine has been tuned to ensure it delivers a stirring exhaust note under spirited driving conditions"

14 minutes ago, Muddywheels said:

What fake sound? There's noise generation for pedestrians while engine is off

From Lexus press release -

"The sound generated by the engine has been tuned to ensure it delivers a stirring exhaust note under spirited driving conditions"

Sorry for ruining your joy... page 225 in owners manual:

image.png.5865aa66d9e55f16b2e867103309e76b.png

At least your son won't notice.... :whistling:

Well... it seems you enjoyed that "powerful" engine and exhaust note... which was kind of unexpected bonus in hybrid?! They say - "They say if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

It was proven that low frequency sounds and vibrations are best felt by... sorry - the butt... and I must agree. Some fakery coming out of speakers won't fool that. When you accelerate with proper engine you literally feel it with your whole body , when you do it with ACS.. it just sounds so unnatural that it instantly annoys me and I have to turn it off.. that is especially true for CT200h F-sport, but still largely applies to 300h.

That is valid point - the problem with my 24h test car was that it had awful standard 6 speakers system.. which was complete pain to listen to. If I listening for musing there is literally very little difference whenever it is v6 I250 or l4 RC300h. So in summary, my opinion was further affected by the fact that neither car sound nor sound system was up-to scratch. The other point is that both of these problems are absent in IS250 - came standard with brilliant 13 speakers sound system and if for any reason you not listening to it, there is real v6 sound coming out of actual engine and exhaust without any ACS gimmick..

Is250 13 speaker system is brilliant. There isn't a better standard system I don't think.

I found engine/exhaust a bit too quiet though.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

That is my opinion as well... and agree on engine/exhaust sound being bit quiet for 2.5l v6 with dual exhaust, but I guess that was Lexus intentions. It is as well simple fix by fitting louder SS rear silencers, but from standard it is bit dull.... still better than hybrid... but that I guess is Lexus intention as well.

• 1 month later...
On 01/11/2017 at 6:48 PM, Linas.P said:

You mean fake sound which comes from speakers?

as @Comedian said I really like v6 sound and I often spoil myself with that sound for no good reason, even if that takes me only to 25MPH... it still feels very good under acceleration. And @Rabbers - I am dead serious as always... I do admire RC300h for its looks, great seats, I liked gearbox... but when it comes to engine and some cheap plastics in interiour I honestly was glad to be back in 170k miles IS250.

think your in a minority of 1 there.

• Sad 1