Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mobile Camera Vans

Might be old news to folks but these camera vans are working in the dark now and will definitely see you before you see them.

One might have nabbed me last night in the yaris. He was sitting at the end of a long straight in a 60 zone and I overtook someone doing 40 getting the mighty yaris up to probably around 65 to pass the car. Waiting on the nip now :wacko:

Be careful out there as a simple safe overtake might get you in bother especially the rate the isf can get upto speed.

• Thanks 1

You certainly need to keep an eye on the speedo when overtaking in an ISF. I find myself using the cruise control more frequently on longer journeys and a road angel to display my current speed and the speed limit on the road I'm travelling on. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mike m said:

@emjay82 I was thinking of getting a radar detector for some advance warning.

We have the A9 and A90 with average cameras along most of the road where the cruise control comes in handy.

From the research I did,  the radar detectors are pretty much useless, so wouldn't buy one for that sole purpose. I find it useful as the speed is visible without looking down at the speedo and displays the speed on the road I'm travelling on. I have a road angel gem plus. 

• Like 1

Radar and Laser are useless. I have one; laser goes off for no apparent reason, radar goes off so often due to traffic lights, speed warning signs and now radar cruise that it's become pointless and annoying. 

I have all that off and use the detector only for speed revenue tax  safety camera warnings and GPS speed - also gives high risk zone warning. Handy if on unfamiliar roads.

I use snooper and update the GPS database once a month. You can't do that with the lexus nav and you usually have to pay extra for safety cams in satnavs. The Lexus speed camera database is probably out of date the day you load it into the car + the beep is too quiet.

2 hours ago, mike m said:

@Big Rat Hope so matey. Could have been alot worse as I tend to let the isf rip while overtaking to make sure the maneuver is completed as quickly and safely as possible :laugh:

@mike m Quite the correct thing to do less time in the danger zone 😏

🐀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Big Rat said:

@mike mMike I've had another idea you could always reduce the performance capability of the mighty Yaris and therefore you wouldn't succumb to temptation..................

Bug Rat

But it's a T sport with 103hp it's a beast :w00t: 

Maybe and engine swap to a 1.0 litre. Nah who am I kidding I got caught speeding in the bug when it was original with 44 hp lol

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, mike m said:

But it's a T sport with 103hp it's a beast :w00t: 

Maybe and engine swap to a 1.0 litre. Nah who am I kidding I got caught speeding in the bug when it was original with 44 hp lol

Those should be exempt of speeding fines anyway? Are they not?

On the serious note.. If there is law it should be enforced be visible, marked cars, signs and officers, with proper equipment and transparently. It don't go much lower than being in un-marked van hiding in the bush at night... such police officers/forces should be publicly punished by ...... and left to .... for future reference.

• Like 1

Just been on local news that police want volunteers in Lincs to stand in the road with speed guns.

I personally never speed in 30s 40s and agree where pedestrians meet traffic, speed should be heavily governed. It's just frustrating to drive past dangerous junctions where people have been killed, get to a long straight or wide open road and see cameras.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

That is why pedestrians must never meet traffic. I know it sounds idealistic, but that should be goal of road infrastructure, but in UK it seems they goal is opposite - to cram as many pedestrian crossings on busy roads.

Think for a moment - would you choose to drive on local road with 30MPH limit, speed bumps and 100 crossings, or would you rather get on nice A road or motorway with 50MPH+ speed limit where you can just cruise along? Answer is quite obvious, but the reason we still drive on local roads is that main roads are too busy and not sufficient, major roads crosses town centers and so on  - it is nothing more than infrastructure issue and blood really lies on governors hands for not spending to make underlying infrastructure safe.

• Like 1

This is the problem, I can't remember the last time I seen any speed enforcement in 30 zones. Most of the roads up here are winding country roads with multiple tractors elderly driving slow with their nose glued to the windscreen and just some bad drivers. There are few places to safely overtake and where the safe places are ie big open straights they build a special layby and plonk these camera vans on them. 

The A90 Dundee to stonehaven dual carriageway has average cameras now because six people have died since 2014. The fact that there are very few flyovers a tractor/ truck and trailer can still pull out in front of you , sit in the central reservation with a trailer blocking both lanes while making sure it's clear to go from the other carriageway is completely ignored. 

Literally drives me nuts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

Just been on local news that police want volunteers in Lincs to stand in the road with speed guns.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I do a fair bit of cycling and have seen these community speed watch areas in various villages. They have a speed gun, fluorescent jackets and note down speeds. I guess they report the figures back but apart from that its simply policing on the cheap - thanks to Theresa May:angry:

5 minutes ago, doog442 said:

I do a fair bit of cycling and have seen these community speed watch areas in various villages. They have a speed gun, fluorescent jackets and note down speeds. I guess they report the figures back but apart from that its simply policing on the cheap - thanks to Theresa May:angry:

There's a crowd of four that I've seen a couple of times congregated in a 30 limit just outside my village.  Up until a few years ago the limit was 40 there, it's not particularly built up, just a pub and a few roadside homes.  These people need to get a life methinks !!

• Like 3

That is all - "treatment of symptom" and not a problem itself. The problem is that highway should never go through the village center, never... 

Secondly, as @mike m indicated, most enforcement is not where it is needed. Why? Because drivers are smart enough not to speed where it is not safe to do so. The enforcement instead is where road conditions allows to speed relatively safely and thus people take chances. That is not only in UK.. in fact in most countries. I have never seen say 20mph average speed zone with cameras next to the school... because most drivers would be sensible not to speed there anyway, but most cameras are on like 3 lanes "truck roads" enforcing 40-50MPH for no reason what so ever.

Used to have speed camera detectors, but now I use a free app on my phone called Waze. I'm sure many of you have heard of it. It's primarily a navigation app owned by google, with very up to date traffic info obtained from everyone else using the app. It will monitor the road ahead even if you don't have a destination set. Showing your current speed and limit, speed cameras and more. It's community driven, so all the speed camera sites are kept up to date. You will also get notified of police (potential speed trap), broken down vehicles, accidents, etc. too.

• Like 2

On 01/11/2017 at 12:32 PM, Big Rat said:

@mike m I shouldn’t worry at that speed matey dispite your intergalactic thursting in the Mighty  Yaris they need to let you have 10% + 2 before you get your driving - boring - improvement lecture 😏

🐀

The 10% +2 was applicable to analog cameras, afraid this is not necessarily the case with digital ones 😔.......but a calibration cert must be in date and available to be seen

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

The 10% +2 was applicable to analog cameras, afraid this is not necessarily the case with digital ones 😔.......but a calibration cert must be in date and available to be seen

@Womble72 Ah the relentless march of progress 😬

🐀

1 hour ago, Womble72 said:

Thanks that’s a handy thing to know.

14 minutes ago, DAW said:

Thanks that’s a handy thing to know.

Also worth noting, their place of choice HAS to be registered as a camera position, they can’t just set up at any point, as they are “safety cameras” and not “speed cameras” they can’t  be seen to be entrapping the public, the locations they can set up at are on the Webbsite for all to see

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Womble72 said:

Also worth noting, their place of choice HAS to be registered as a camera position, they can’t just set up at any point, as they are “safety cameras” and not “speed cameras” they can’t  be seen to be entrapping the public, the locations they can set up at are on the Webbsite for all to see

Just checked and it's on their web page as a proper location. Also read that it can be down to the camera operators discretion regarding the speed so who knows. 

Anyways like I said earlier it could have been alot worse. 12 days left to go for the Nip.

I upset one of these vans a couple of months ago 35 in a 30 and where I got caught is a well-known spot as they can be seen as the road is dead straight but I never saw them so I have come to the conclusion that they are now invisible vans. They offered me a Driver aware course cost £80 and no points on my licence. Rang the insurance co to let them know and they weren't bothered so I took the guys name just in case.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links