Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tuning experience

Joern

Is there anyone here who has remapped or chipped the IS 220D for over a year and would like to share their experience?

Considering getting a remap to 215hk including EGR delete. How is this engine going to handle it for longer periods of time?

Quite standard reply form me... If the search function would work I would be able to copy paste it here.

The problem with original IS220d was that it kept blowing gaskets and was generally unreliable... what Lexus did to solve this?! They reduced the power (from 177hp) in face-lift model and called it 200d  (150hp) event thought it is basically the same 2.231L engine (called 2AD-FTV instead of 2AD-FHV)

What that suggests? If you do anything to improve this engine you need to "de-tune" it.

Several members here have had their is220d remapped and reported good power gains and less turbo lag.

However it is a fragile and unreliable engine and Lexus detuned it to 150bhp for good reason.

Adding more power to this engine is asking for trouble. 

It is more like ... overheating is the "symptom" and there are several underlying "causes"... mostly around engine design, as well under-rated head gasket. Lexus latter fitted "upgraded" gaskets to cars which have been repaired under warranty. One way or another IS220d is not great base for tuning project, it can be tuned as any trubo diesel, but it is inherently unreliable and flawed engine - not what you want if you have plants to increase power. I could make it run more economical, smoother and with less smoke however - no problem with that.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine was remapped and everything is ok. Oil change max on 10 000 km. Cooling turbo, drive normally when engine is cold. This engines doesn't have 177/400. Medium result is about 160/370. Weakest which i saw was 120/315 no dtc error , live data seems to be ok, will be replaced scv valve and it could be little more. I decied to buy my lex cuz it have new engine from lexus dealer. Before lex i had e46 coupe R6 2,5 , great car but exploitation was very expensive.

Referring to the remap in this case it should be different approach, lex its not like bmw's diesel where from 3.0d m57n you can make great results 400/788 , here you need to FIX what the factory broke  or not know how to do. Serial engine program i think was made by a asian kid, enormous turbo lag , fuel consumption 12+ l/100km, egr and dpf problems. They also can't make diagnosis and you need to diag your car mostly from live data. Here you have 0-1 system - sensor not work/sensor work. When for example SCV not working 100% ok, car can drive, but you lose power - obd code readers will not tell anything. I made remap not for performance, but for pleasure with driving. Numbers are not important on dyno, important is how car drive after mods.

Look at dyno and you will see factory soft and fixed soft

EPSON001_zps2xaf4ljs.jpg

PERFORMANCE - NO

PLEASURE WITH DRIVING - YES

Yes, but too big differences in my opinion. My ex bmw had factory 170/245 when was on dyno (and measured 30 degree of C ) result was 166/240. In lower temperatures i think result will be better.