Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No Keys.

As the one and only key to my 2015 IS300H is now lost ( I know, I know ! ), what is the procedure for getting a replacement?

The key blade is fine as Lexus will order me one off the chassis number for £45, but they are scratching their head over if it is possible to get a replacement  fob to work..

They are talking of a new immobiliser ECU ( wherever that is) and then reprogramming it to the car and the new keys. Sounds very expensive !

Has anyone ever come across this before and have any info for me.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Neil300H said:

he key blade is fine as Lexus will order me one off the chassis number for £45, but they are scratching their head over if it is possible to get a replacement  fob to work..

Theives can programme a fob with a laptop in seconds & steal your car so sure a legitimate Lexus dealer can to!!

I got the cable in eBay and the dealer Techstream software running on windows 8. Managed to get it connected to car and changed some settings. It works. 

I haven't got software in front of me, so can't guide you. But maybe a video like this? Either do it yourself or ask the dealer (will be cheaper doing it yourself I imagine, cable is about a tenner)

The problem with that is that you need a key to start with as you need to put the ignition on.

Creating a second key would not be a problem.

I need to get the first key, as I have none at present and therefore cannot put the ignition on etc.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Im sure the immobiliser itself can be reset/erased and new keys programmed to it.

Do you know where this immobiliser unit is?  May need to update that too.

14 hours ago, matt8 said:

I got the cable in eBay and the dealer Techstream software running on windows 8. Managed to get it connected to car and changed some settings. It works. 

I haven't got software in front of me, so can't guide you. But maybe a video like this? Either do it yourself or ask the dealer (will be cheaper doing it yourself I imagine, cable is about a tenner)

That does look like a worthwhile thing to have.  Do you have the seller details on eBay as I want to get one that works...

The Lexus or Toyota dealer can do this, but they have to do this online to Toyota while also connected to the car. A new seed code has to be entered  into the ECU, and then the car is programmed to keys and fobs. Some registered locksmiths can also carry out this service. 

I see you are in Staffordshire, and the nearest lock smith I know of that can possibly do this in Stourbridge. There may well be one closer to you, but they are likely to be cheaper than Lexus. 

As unfortunately you have found if you have a working key/fob it is relatively easy to program the car to a new key/fob with Techstreem, but without such it is much more expensive, and difficult.

John.

5 hours ago, Neil300H said:

That does look like a worthwhile thing to have.  Do you have the seller details on eBay as I want to get one that works...

I purchased the cable on AliExpress and then obtained the software myself for free via Internet. The software that came with the cable was not the most recent hence me going online to look. Can't recall where I got it from, but I had to search a good amount first. 

On 11/7/2017 at 7:12 PM, Neil300H said:

Do you know where this immobiliser unit is?  May need to update that too.

No idea but the dealer can certainly do it. 

Some car insurance policies will cover you for lost keys as will house insurance. Obviously check your excess before you make a claim though and be aware, the prices next year may go up unless its a separate service.

Thanks for the comments. I will try the locksmith in Stourbridge, will try and find the name on yell.

I have not given up completely on finding at least one of my keys. Will give it another week then take the plunge and spend not a small amount getting it sorted.

So for the Techstream, any of the eBay hardware should be ok?  Just got to find the latest software on the net?

Hoo Raarrr.    Found 1 key.  The youngest had put it inside his reading book and walked in this morning and said 'Dad is this yours?' , holding the key aloft.     I didn't know whether to kiss him or send him to the workhouse !!

Will get another key sorted this week, incase he wants to hide it again....

• Like 3

I don't know what sort of keys a 2016 IS300h uses but now that you've found one, you might be able to get a couple of spares from eBay and code them yourself when you get your newly ordered MiniVCI and Techstream :smile:

12 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

I don't know what sort of keys a 2016 IS300h uses but now that you've found one, you might be able to get a couple of spares from eBay and code them yourself when you get your newly ordered MiniVCI and Techstream :smile:

I intend to. This is the key.

IMG_6970.JPG

3 hours ago, Neil300H said:

I intend to. This is the key.

IMG_6970.JPG

Congratulations on finding the fob.

Be aware used key fobs cannot always be programmed  into the car. The reason is that the fobs have a rolling code so that a scanner cannot reuse the entry code once it has been used so avoiding car theft from such systems.

Once a fob has passed a given number of operations the car cannot be programmed to that fob. This mean the only fobs that will definitely be accepted by the car are new.

John.

The lock smiths at Stourbridge if you need them is Global Security Group, High St Amblecote. tel 01384 440228. I have no association with them but have used them on a number of occasions, and found them very help full. I once supplied them with a lock barrel from a car I bought with no keys (insurance salvage BMW), and they made keys within 2 hours.

John.

2 hours ago, Britprius said:

The lock smiths at Stourbridge if you need them is Global Security Group, High St Amblecote. tel 01384 440228. I have no association with them but have used them on a number of occasions, and found them very help full. I once supplied them with a lock barrel from a car I bought with no keys (insurance salvage BMW), and they made keys within 2 hours.

John.

Thanks. I will bear them in mind for the future.  

2 hours ago, Britprius said:

Congratulations on finding the fob.

Be aware used key fobs cannot always be programmed  into the car. The reason is that the fobs have a rolling code so that a scanner cannot reuse the entry code once it has been used so avoiding car theft from such systems.

Once a fob has passed a given number of operations the car cannot be programmed to that fob. This mean the only fobs that will definitely be accepted by the car are new.

John.

I have heard that. There are sellers on eBay that describe their keys as having been erased and ready for programming.   I don't know if that is the answer ??

13 minutes ago, Neil300H said:

I have heard that. There are sellers on eBay that describe their keys as having been erased and ready for programming.   I don't know if that is the answer ??

As long as you can return them if they do not work I see no problems.

John

1 minute ago, Britprius said:

As long as you can return them if they do not work I see no problems.

John

Thats what I am thinking. Worth a try. Waiting for my Techstream toy so I can start playing !!

Key fobs definitely need erasing prior to re-programming, I bought one for my IS250 and the seller wasn't aware of the need, but checked with his programming expert 'mate' who confirmed it was needed. (paid extra to have it done) TechStream took a lot of fiddling with drivers and stuff but got it going eventually.

Similar service advertised on eBay.

To add a new blank key you're asked to put the existing key on the start button (with the new key outside the vehicle) and then there's a time window to place the original key on the back seat and the new key on the start button. The instructions in TechStream are quite precise and it still took me two attempts to get the time and sequence right. I now have the security of having two working key fobs.

Cutting a new blank was straightforward enough at a branch of Timpson, you'll need a bigger branch with a computerised milling machine for the double sided Lexus keys, then I just had to saw and file it to fit my key retainer.

Regards

Andrew