Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450H front power sockets

Found that I am going to struggle using my phone charger in the armrest power sockets as it is too large to allow the 'bin' to be reinserted with the charger in place.

So I'm on the lookout for a slimline charger that will fit. However I'm not keen on leaving something like that connected permanently, but as its so difficult to access, I don't know if I have any other option?

Has anyone found a solution or moved them or added an extension of some kind?

I bought a mini car charger by Samsung and leave it connected just to plug the phone in when needed.

There also appears to be a 12v socket in the cutout under where the gear lever/ mouse are on the passenger side which could be more suitable,, just means having to find somewhere to keep your phone from miving about, maybe in the cupholder??

Oh, sorry mine is a 2011, and just bought it, so may be different depending on what year you have.

1 hour ago, TimS320 said:

Found that I am going to struggle using my phone charger in the armrest power sockets as it is too large to allow the 'bin' to be reinserted with the charger in place.

So I'm on the lookout for a slimline charger that will fit. However I'm not keen on leaving something like that connected permanently, but as its so difficult to access, I don't know if I have any other option?

Has anyone found a solution or moved them or added an extension of some kind?

How large is your charger?  I have my Iphone cable attached to the USB port and a two way splitter in the 12v socket and attach my dashcam and GPS camera alert box to that,  and theres loads of room under the bin. 

If you have a cigarette lighter in the front that you don't use you could do the same as I did in my RX300. I got the USB socket from eBay and it's a direct replacement for the lighter, with no drilling or anything else to do, just lighter out, USB socket in. And because it's 2.1A output on each socket, they charge phones quicker than a 'normal' USB that's 1.0A. Here's a link to a similar socket on eBay

usb.thumb.jpg.70696b21d310c4dcf33d1e4b4d906958.jpg

I made a 12V socket in the bottom of the cupholder, can't show a photo as the car was stolen, when nothing was plugged in you could still use the cupholder.

I connected it to the power socket in the arm rest

19 hours ago, sorcerer said:

If you have a cigarette lighter in the front that you don't use you could do the same as I did in my RX300. I got the USB socket from eBay and it's a direct replacement for the lighter, with no drilling or anything else to do, just lighter out, USB socket in. And because it's 2.1A output on each socket, they charge phones quicker than a 'normal' USB that's 1.0A. Here's a link to a similar socket on eBay

usb.thumb.jpg.70696b21d310c4dcf33d1e4b4d906958.jpg

No such finery on a 450H, the socket is in the centre armrest console  next to the USB socket.

Had a good feel around insider the armrest, I hadn't realised it was all open inside and with so much space. It's a shame about the design of it.

I got a slimmer charger which now fits in below the storage box, but I don't like the idea of it being powered all the time when the car is in use, but hidden from sight. 

If I can work out how to take the armrest apart, I'll fit one underneath in the open storage area, taken of the existing ones. I just need a parts diagram really.

I have cables permanently plugged into all the available outlets under the armrest to power an old iPod (which I leave at the bottom of the storage bin under the armrest), an Iphone charger, an Android charger... and I also have an AUX cable so that I can play music from my Android phone. I also have in there a USB extension lead that can reach the back seats!

I have to admit that it's a bit messy, with loads of cables within the storage bin, but on the other hand I don't use that bin for anything else, and it all works fine. I have just made sure I use different colour cables to make life easier.