Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Turn it on, put an ice cube on it - should melt very quickly. 

You could also try touching it but I wouldn't recommend.

Be aware that its only the bottom part where the wipers are sat, not the whole screen.

12 minutes ago, jackcramerr said:

So not on the sides? Or on the rain sensing area?

Don't think so. Its only there to stop windscreen wipers from sticking when parked overnight, hence why its at the lower part of the screen.

If on the sides or on the entire glass, you'd see wires across the glass, especially at night.

I thought any manufacturer could offer them now. So Ford hold a license for the tech? Goodness. 

Always wondered, how do you go on with replacement or repaired screens on Fords etc? Most insurers will do a repair or replacement of a regular screen for a nominal amount but heated screens with their metallic elements must be way more money. 

We had a SEAT Alhambra (Ford Galaxy clone, built in the same factory) with the winter pack which included the heated windscreen. Wonderful option and sorely missed on subsequent cars.

No issues with insurance replacement of the screen, although I thought the wires were more obvious in the replacement.

Any manufacturer can fit the heated screens, they just have to pay Ford for the privilege. Mercedes offer the option but only on their Protection (high security, armoured) models.

22 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Only Ford and Ford licensed manufacturers (i.e. not Lexus) have heated windscreens. Great shame IMHO.. 

Little bit confused on that. I understand they might hold some sort of patent and might charge royalties, but my IS250 has heated windshield as well, in fact all IS250-SEL has it as standard option.

@jackcramerr - it only warms-up areas around windshield wipers (resting place). It is solely to be turned on if they have frozen on, so it melts the ice around wipers to prevent damage. The windshield around these areas doesn't get very hot to be honest... maybe room temperature at best.

Some aircraft (tornado for sure) have had the system since the 70s so not sure how ford can claim the idea. Mind you I don't think ford used gold.

I won't be using my car when it's iced up but when you start to see people driving in foggy conditions with misted windows and no lights on you realise why nanny state has to bring in laws for running lights. A demist time for front windscreens would be useful.

By the way, I keep a dehumidifier in my car to stop it getting too damp in the first place, windows clear much faster. They are about 3 quid in aldi and when it's saturated just microwave it dry again. I used to use cat litter but it's not as effective and leaves a lot of dust.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Little bit confused on that. I understand they might hold some sort of patent and might charge royalties, but my IS250 has heated windshield as well, in fact all IS250-SEL has it as standard option.

@jackcramerr - it only warms-up areas around windshield wipers (resting place). It is solely to be turned on if they have frozen on, so it melts the ice around wipers to prevent damage. The windshield around these areas doesn't get very hot to be honest... maybe room temperature at best.

I think they're talking about the fully heated screens. Tiny filaments all across the windscreen, you can see them in a certain light. Unless of course that's what your SE L has? 

They are good. We've had a couple of Fords and I think they're pretty much standard fit now. 

8 hours ago, Comedian said:

nanny state has to bring in laws for running lights

Agree on that, they are talking about road safety and don't even have mandatory running lights law. Used driving in EU I can say that it makes enormous difference, when lights are ON you can really see car coming and that applies to pedestrians and cyclists. And it is not only days, some drivers in UK I guess simply forgets to turn them ON, because it is not the law to have them ON all the time and when days become shorter there are plenty people driving without lights even when it gets rather dark.

When it comes to windows heating technology I am just saying - there is windshield heating on many cars, they might be using different solutions, but they point is the same - to melt the ice or snow. By the way Lexus windshield haters does not help for demisting - it is not hot enough and covers only very bottom of the screen. Rear window has proper heating element and demister across whole window ant that works fine.

Ford did hold the patent up to about a year ago for the fully heated windscreens with the wires running down them

I did experience them in a Ford Fiesta but it gave me a headache at night. This is the same with the heated screens from Volvo and Jaguar which all use the wire tech.

I believe VW don't use wires for their heated screens on newer vehicles - instead they have some form of coating that heats up and is genuinely invisible. 

• Like 2