Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buyers Beware of Ebay LS400 Breakers

18 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

No, a debit card is what you take to the shop with you to pay for goods.

Yes thats one of things you can/do use them for, did someone say you/no one can use them for everyday shopping? if so can you link the post I did not see anyone write that!

7 minutes ago, dendonc said:

Of course it does, which is why I said mine is Santander. Has someone said a direct debit card does not work with your bank account? if so can you link the post I did not see anyone write that!

You asked me:

I'm getting a bit lost here, does/did your bank not automatically/spontaenously offer you a 'debit card'?

and I replied yes, then went on to explain why I used my credit card rather than my debit card because that's what your question implied you were asking. If I've got that wrong, please explain what you were asking and I'll do my best to answer.

31 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

The difference between the two cards in the context of this situation is that a debit card offers some protection if things go wrong for you, but nowhere near as much protection as a credit card does

I'm lost again (:yucky:)

I pay either direct debits, use it for shopping sometimes, cash machine withdrawls, I can also have an authorized overdraft on it, so please explain (make it clear) what you mean by ''but nowhere near as much protection as a credit card does''.......?

16 minutes ago, dendonc said:

Yes thats one of things you can/do use them for, did someone say you/no one can use them for everyday shopping? if so can you link the post I did not see anyone write that!

You said: I use my 'debit card' for 'direct debits', in fact all my 'direct debits'.

I was pointing out that it is impossible to use a debit card for a direct debit payment. It's called "Direct Debit" because the person or body that you are paying requests it directly from your bank and your bank pays it directly to them. There is no facility for you to use a debit card in a direct debit situation even if you wanted to.

9 minutes ago, dendonc said:

I'm lost again (:yucky:)

I pay either direct debits, use it for shopping sometimes, cash machine withdrawls, I can also have an authorized overdraft on it, so please explain (make it clear) what you mean by ''but nowhere near as much protection as a credit card does''.......?

Just read the whole post I made, it's quite clear, but to summarise:

Let's say that I buy a car on my credit card and something goes wrong with it, maybe the engine explodes. I go back to the dealer I bought it from, only to find they've gone bust so I can't get them to pay for repairs.

Section 75 says that my credit card provider has to make things right for me because they are jointly responsible with the company that sold me the car. If I had used my debit card instead, my bank would be under no legal obligation to do anything for me, or they may offer something 'as a goodwill gesture'.

Ergo, a debit card provides nowhere near as much protection as a credit card would if things go wrong.

And now I'm cracking open a beer!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

I was pointing out that it is impossible to use a debit card for a direct debit payment.

That makes no sense whatsoever to me! can you explain what you mean in some other way?

19 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

It's called "Direct Debit" because the person or body that you are paying requests it directly from your bank and your bank pays it directly to them.

Yes they do and yes my bank pays it directly to them.........again, has someone said that is not the case? 

28 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

If I had used my debit card instead, my bank would be under no legal obligation to do anything for me, or they may offer something 'as a goodwill gesture'.

Your post is total is in total conflict with the direct debit guarantee which all banks (or building societies) provide at date point of issue to user,

Direct Debit Guarantee

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/directdebitguarantee.aspx

A Direct debit is an automated, routine debit from one's current account, managed by the recipient of the money. They can alter the amount withdrawn from one's current account by giving at least 10days notice. The account holder does not need to do anything after setting up the Direct debit mandate.

A Debit card is a payment card that when used takes payment from one's current account immediately. The card carries all the account information required to set up a Direct debit but using the card does not set up a Direct debit.

The Direct debit guarantee is not applicable to purchases made with a Debit card, only those routine payments set up by the Direct Debit mandate. The guarantee protects the account holder against unauthorised increases in the routine Direct debit payment and/or an increase in the frequency of payments.

Direct debit payments are totally different from Debit card payments

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dendonc said:

I use my 'debit card' for 'direct debits', in fact all my 'direct debits'. As far as I know 'debit card' is what they are normally called everywhere, certainly thats the term I use on the odd occasion I visit my bank (santander) & the links on 'NemisisUK post they call them 'debit cards. Never heard anyone use the term ''direct debit card'' although they are used to make direct debits.

Direct Debits and using your Debit card are two entirely different transactions. You don't make Direct Debits with your Debit card. My bank is the same as yours for personal and commercial banking. (Santander)

2 hours ago, dendonc said:

I'm getting a bit lost here, does/did your bank not automatically/spontaenously offer you a 'debit card'?

When paying with a credit card the whole amount is covered, £5000 no problem should anything go wrong but that's not the same with a debit card its normally about £100. Banks don't like to reverse charges on debit cards. You have to have a 100% cast iron argument for them to do it. 

I have locked this as it's not going anywhere. The position over the different `banking terms has been explained over and over again. If you are still not clear ring your bank tomorrow or Monday and ask them if they can make it clearer to you.