Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I can find various reviews on the RX and the NX models but, am wondering why I can never find either of these vehicles listed in anyone's list of best SUV's available.

Is there a reason for this or am I not looking in the right places?

Which? lists the RX as a Best Buy in the Large SUV category. It's top equal with the Q7.

The NX doesn't make it to the top of the Compact SUV category.

I trust Which? a lot more than I would trust the various motoring magazines.

(I guess that you would need to subscribe to Which? to see their review).

2 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Thanks Sandy.  I'm not a subscriber to Which and I don't think that you can access their data without doing so.  I just find it strange that Lexus don't figure in any of the lists that I have come across.

I think you'll find that WHICH? magazine listed the 4th gen RX as best buy in the large SUV category. I believe Mat from Carwow chose the RX as well over some competitors and of course, Car Magazine which can be found below:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/comparison/2016/more-than-enough-lexus-rx-vs-volvo-xc90-vs-audi-q7-car-april-2016/

Having said that, I presume you're looking for 3RX ones? 

Yes it will be a 3RX but I'm still hovering between the RX and the NX at the moment.  I still haven't had an opportunity to test drive a 3 RX.  There doesn't seem to be many about in my area.  I keep looking every day.

3 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Yes it will be a 3RX but I'm still hovering between the RX and the NX at the moment.  I still haven't had an opportunity to test drive a 3 RX.  There doesn't seem to be many about in my area.  I keep looking every day.

3RXs are relatively rare but if you keep looking I'm sure the right one will pop up sooner rather than later 

3 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

I still haven't had an opportunity to test drive a 3 RX.  There doesn't seem to be many about in my area.  I keep looking every day.

By all means pursue a test drive local to you Geoff.  When you decide that the RX is for you, you will need to travel in order to get the right car.

15 hours ago, steveledzep said:

When you decide that the RX is for you, you will need to travel in order to get the right car.

Absolutely true!   It took me a few weeks and a few trips away to find a car with the right spec and colour.   But it's 3 months (and 2.5k miles) yesterday since I picked up my 62 plate RX450h and it's brilliant.    

RX450h_IoM.jpg

3 hours ago, Ian M said:

Absolutely true!   It took me a few weeks and a few trips away to find a car with the right spec and colour.   But it's 3 months (and 2.5k miles) yesterday since I picked up my 62 plate RX450h and it's brilliant.    

RX450h_IoM.jpg

Ian, What did you have before the 3RX did the 3RX feel a lot bigger? I have a GS300 and thinking of the 3RX or NX but when I sat in the NX it didn't seem to have the same amount of space in the cockpit area as the GS300 and when I sat in the 3RX that felt way too large but might have been due to the far higher seating position. I keep telling myself that whatever I choose I'll get used to the overall size!

14 hours ago, JeffL said:

Ian, What did you have before the 3RX did the 3RX feel a lot bigger? I have a GS300 and thinking of the 3RX or NX but when I sat in the NX it didn't seem to have the same amount of space in the cockpit area as the GS300 and when I sat in the 3RX that felt way too large but might have been due to the far higher seating position. I keep telling myself that whatever I choose I'll get used to the overall size!

I changed from a MK IV LS400 to my and initially found it somewhat larger, but with a higher driving position and the cameras etc now find it a dream to drive. It has also slowed me down somewhat, although I have been known to let her rip occasionally to clean her out.   

I looked around for a week or so and test drove and bought the first one I saw, as I was placed in a position where I needed a vehicle as the LS400 was written off by insurance company.

I haven't regretted the choice even though I was thinking of an LS460 or maybe 600H before the write off.

• Thanks 1

Well, still no test drive in a 3RX, I haven't even sat in one yet!  I have mentioned before that I am undecided between a 3RX and an NX.  I have driven an NX over a distance of about 70 miles and must admit that I do like it.  I think that the look of both the exterior and the interior of the NX is much better than the RX (IMO) but not having even sat in a 3RX I am only going by the photographs of the 3RX's for sale.  The interior of the 3RX looks a bit on the basic side to me.

I did a check on insuring a 3RX and it seems to be about £100 p.a. more than an NX.

18 hours ago, JeffL said:

I had an old shape IS300 Sportcross and then a short spell in the wilderness (Audi) before coming back to Lexus with the 3RX (see here 

for details).

Yes, the RX feels bigger than either, but in terms of overall footprint it is no longer and only slightly wider than the Audi.  I think the height adds to the feeling that it is bigger but once you're on teh move it's just a superb and comfortabe driving position.  It does need a bit of care in car parks though.

• Thanks 1

Geoff, the interior of a 3RX is far from basic: after all, it sits above the NX in the range and is much more expensive, but you need to consider that it is a much older design to that of the NX.

You really need to sit in and test drive a RX... don't just go by the pictures, especially because a light interior colour or the addition of a sunroof or pan roof will make the car feel bigger, whilst a black interior will make it more cosetting. RX and NX feel very different, not only in size but in performance. For a start, the NX has 4 cyl, the RX has 6 cyl with approx 300bhp (I think it's 296). Because of its laminated windows (a bit like doubleglazing!) the RX is very quiet. While the NX may not be much shorter than the 3RX, it is not as wide, etc.

Take a trip to your local dealer!

11 minutes ago, DanD said:

Geoff, the interior of a 3RX is far from basic: after all, it sits above the NX in the range and is much more expensive, but you need to consider that it is a much older design to that of the NX.

You really need to sit in and test drive a RX... don't just go by the pictures, especially because a light interior colour or the addition of a sunroof or pan roof will make the car feel bigger, whilst a black interior will make it more cosetting. RX and NX feel very different, not only in size but in performance. For a start, the NX has 4 cyl, the RX has 6 cyl with approx 300bhp (I think it's 296). Because of its laminated windows (a bit like doubleglazing!) the RX is very quiet. While the NX may not be much shorter than the 3RX, it is not as wide, etc.

Take a trip to your local dealer!

Thank you Daniel.  Yes I'm really looking forward to trying a 3RX but there aren't any around down here unfortunately.  Having said that, I haven't had a look for a few days, I'll do it now.

I don't think that it is worth me trying the 4RX (of which there are plenty available) because it will be different and I can't afford one!

13 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

Thank you Daniel.  Yes I'm really looking forward to trying a 3RX but there aren't any around down here unfortunately.  Having said that, I haven't had a look for a few days, I'll do it now.

I don't think that it is worth me trying the 4RX (of which there are plenty available) because it will be different and I can't afford one!

Who are your local dealers?

6 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Who are your local dealers?

Snows Group Exeter, Plymouth and Hedge End. They do have a few 3RX's but they are at their Hedge End branch.  I have spotted  one at the Plymouth branch, if I get a chance I might get myself down to Plymouth to have a look. It's got 55000 on the clock and so getting close to needing plug replacement.  Whatever I get I'm hoping for much lower mileage.

On 11/13/2017 at 4:46 PM, bluenose1940 said:

Snows Group Exeter, Plymouth and Hedge End. They do have a few 3RX's but they are at their Hedge End branch.  I have spotted  one at the Plymouth branch, if I get a chance I might get myself down to Plymouth to have a look. It's got 55000 on the clock and so getting close to needing plug replacement.  Whatever I get I'm hoping for much lower mileage.

They should move them over free of charge - might ask for a deposit but itll certainly be refundable. Thats how I do it sometimes anyway

I can't recommend the Hedge End dealership enough.

I would suggest you phone them, telling them you might be interested in one of their cars but it is long way for you to travel... and see what they suggest.

Hi Daniel, thank you for your comment regarding Hedge End.  Yes I have had a look on-line and they do have a number of 3RX models which I will study a little more carefully later.

Looking at their stock of NX's at their three outlets, they have a fair few of them as well but, they have nothing below £29750.

20 hours ago, DanD said:

I can't recommend the Hedge End dealership enough.

I would suggest you phone them, telling them you might be interested in one of their cars but it is long way for you to travel... and see what they suggest.

Agree about Lexus Hedge End. Have always found them very helpful in purchasing and also in after sales. Their service section is particularly helpful.

1 hour ago, Ala Larj said:

Agree about Lexus Hedge End. Have always found them very helpful in purchasing and also in after sales. Their service section is particularly helpful.

Yes, they always go out of their way to help.

I agree that their cars can appear expensive, but on the other hand they seem to always stock top quality cars.

22 hours ago, DanD said:

Yes, they always go out of their way to help.

I agree that their cars can appear expensive, but on the other hand they seem to always stock top quality cars.

You're not the Dan that works there are you????