Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking tickets

floggit

6 hours ago, Bluesman said:

It clearly demonstrated that Waitrose felt their parent and child bays were for the customers that they felt they earn most profit from. 

Ah, it makes sense. Then they should provide wide bays near the door for affluent middle aged men with expensive cars. :wink3::smile:

I agree that the concept of Parent and Child bays is wrong and that it dilutes the importance of the disabled ones. Just make all the normal spaces just a little bit wider and we would all be happy. I reckon that Waitrose do have wider spaces than Tesco. They clearly know their target customer base. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bluesman said:

No point in telling me that car parks are dangerous places for children then look after them properly.

Agree 100%. My comment was meant to be sarcastic.

The provision of parent and child bays is as much to the benefit of other motorists in that there is a slightly reduced chance of door dings as parent wrestle with their little charges. IMHO these bays should be resigned the the far perimeters of the car park.

The placement of blue badge bays close to the entrance/exits is completely logical

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluesman said:

...why parent and child places are provided in the first place is a mystery to me. 

Well... you probably need to ask parents with small children. They probably would find strange why disabled people need bays as well. Store manager telling you where you can park is not the law, it is about the same as taking advice from me at what speed you should drive in motorway (the answer would be no less 90MPH)... 

Anyway.... I believe by now we all contributed enough to derail this tread in to something completely different from what original OP posted. Maybe we should wrap-up or created another thread if anyone still wants to discuss this topic?

8 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Well... you probably need to ask parents with small children. They probably would find strange why disabled people need bays as well. Store manager telling you where you can park is not the law, it is about the same as taking advice from me at what speed you should drive in motorway (the answer would be no less 90MPH)... 

Anyway.... I believe by now we all contributed enough to derail this tread in to something completely different from what original OP posted. Maybe we should wrap-up or created another thread if anyone still wants to discuss this topic?

"They probably would find strange why disabled people need bays as well"  A bad joke yes?

"Anyway .... I believe by now we all contributed enough to derail this tread in to something completely different from what original OP posted. Maybe we should wrap-up or created another thread if anyone still wants to discuss this topic?"       The natural direction of any thread.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Agree 100%. My comment was meant to be sarcastic.

The provision of parent and child bays is as much to the benefit of other motorists in that there is a slightly reduced chance of door dings as parent wrestle with their little charges. IMHO these bays should be resigned the the far perimeters of the car park.

The placement of blue badge bays close to the entrance/exits is completely logical

No, I realised it was.

4 hours ago, Bluesman said:

"They probably would find strange why disabled people need bays as well"  A bad joke yes?

100% serious... I am really the last person to tell that the world doesn't revolve around you or me. For the parents the most important thing woudl be their kids and that should be appreciated. That doesn't make disabled spaces more or less important, just highlights the fact that infrastructure needs to work for everyone , not only for selected ones.

20 hours ago, Bluesman said:

The parent and child bays have taken away the importance of disabled bays and why parent and child places are provided in the first place is a mystery to me.

Have you tried putting a toddler into a baby seat before? 

The doors are able to open wide enough in parent and child bays. Start taking them out, there's going to be a lot more dings on everyone's cars.

As for disabled bays - surely it could be argued that they're unneeded. For a start, every disabled person around here seems to park on double yellows right outside the shops rather than in the disabled bay anyway!

8 hours ago, rayaans said:

As for disabled bays - surely it could be argued that they're unneeded

start arguing the case and I'll come up and bop you one ............... disabilities are dreadful and until you actually suffer appropriately you will have absolutely no idea what's involved AND getting close to shops and into shops can be the most excruciating painful process .....  never criticise disabled people, you most certainly will never win I can assure you. :wheelchair: 

Malc

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Malc said:

start arguing the case and I'll come up and bop you one ............... disabilities are dreadful and until you actually suffer appropriately you will have absolutely no idea what's involved AND getting close to shops and into shops can be the most excruciating painful process .....  never criticise disabled people, you most certainly will never win I can assure you. :wheelchair: 

Malc

You completely twisted or didn’t bother to read and understand what Rayaans said on the matter. Tut tut.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Verbout said:

You completely twisted or didn’t bother to read and understand what Rayaans said on the matter. Tut tut.

I'm not twisted ( I resent that hugely ) and I did read and totally understood what was said  .............  parking on both single and double yellow lines is allowed by law subject to non-obstruction rules and other stuff from time-to-time .........  disabled persons often just NEED to be accommodated rather better than non disabled motorists ......  that's why they have a blue badge .........  it's not for fun you know.

Malc

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Malc said:

Malc

I deal with disabled people for a living - thats my job. 

The blue badge thing is a bit of a scam tbh, yes I get some people really need it. But the problem lies with those who have it for the wrong reasons, and those who abuse it i.e. family members. These disabled badges are given to people with walking sticks who can walk for miles and miles. In that case, I don't think its necessary. Also, disabled badges can be obtained by people with disabilities of the arms - last time I checked, that didn't affect how far they could walk....or whether it caused any difficulty in walking....

All disabilities aren't the same

15 hours ago, rayaans said:

The doors are able to open wide enough in parent and child bays. Start taking them out, there's going to be a lot more dings on everyone's cars.

As for disabled bays - surely it could be argued that they're unneeded. For a start, every disabled person around here seems to park on double yellows right outside the shops rather than in the disabled bay anyway!

You could always park to the rear of the car park where no one ever parks.

15 hours ago, rayaans said:

"As for disabled bays - surely it could be argued that they're unneeded. For a start, every disabled person around here seems to park on double yellows right outside the shops rather than in the disabled bay anyway!"  That's probably because the disabled bays are all taken up by those who abuse them. 

2 hours ago, Verbout said:

Well, I read what Rayaans wrote three times and agree with Malcolm 100% As soon as I step out of my car I am in pain and it gets steadily worse to the point where I am looking for somewhere to sit for 5 mins. I only go where I have a route worked out where I can rest, I am loathed to start using a wheelchair as I feel that's the beginning of the end. As for Linus, I think he is just trying out a bit of trolling. If you promise to have my disability I will gladly give you my Blue Badge and that offer goes out to everyone who would like a Blue Badge.

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

I deal with disabled people for a living - thats my job. 

The blue badge thing is a bit of a scam tbh, yes I get some people really need it. But the problem lies with those who have it for the wrong reasons, and those who abuse it i.e. family members. These disabled badges are given to people with walking sticks who can walk for miles and miles. In that case, I don't think its necessary. Also, disabled badges can be obtained by people with disabilities of the arms - last time I checked, that didn't affect how far they could walk....or whether it caused any difficulty in walking....

All disabilities aren't the same

"I deal with disabled people for a living - thats my job."                   What is your job?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malc said:

I'm not twisted ( I resent that hugely ) and I did read and totally understood what was said  .............  parking on both single and double yellow lines is allowed by law subject to non-obstruction rules and other stuff from time-to-time .........  disabled persons often just NEED to be accommodated rather better than non disabled motorists ......  that's why they have a blue badge .........  it's not for fun you know.

Malc

I feel I might be jumping into the lion's mouth on this one, but from what I understood, Garry meant that you twisted what Rayaan was saying, not that you are twisted.  I could be wrong though.

As for the blue badge, my father had one.  He also had a heart condition which made walking any meaningful distance difficult.  I would say that the Blue Badge helped him considerably.  However, I also do agree that it shouldn't be a blanket case of anyone who has a disability can get a blue badge.  Ideally, it would based on specific deficiencies as a result of a disability, but that would probably be far too difficult to administer.  So, if it was a choice between no blue badges or blue badges for anyone with a disability, then I would still vote for badges based on my experience.

Lastly, I could again be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere that Rayaan was a doctor? 

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

Lastly, I could again be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere that Rayaan was a doctor? 

I think Malcolm knew what I meant.

I thought everyone on here knew Rayaans was a doctor especially a mod’:tongue:

If I were in charge of blue badge issue you’d have to jump through a lot of hoops to get one. :laughing:

11 minutes ago, Verbout said:

If I were in charge of blue badge issue you’d have to jump through a lot of hoops to get one. 

It's very unusual for blue badge holders to be able to jump.....never mind through hoops !!  My Dad had one when he was driving, he'd had three replacement hip operations (not from IOM) and couldn't walk far.  It was essential for him to go to town and shop.

I always thought that Lexus owners wete a pretty civilised bunch.

are we now seriously debating who is handicapped enough to obtain a blue badge????

Not sure but has my thread gone off topic? :laugh:

Interesting comments on other subjects all the same :biggrin:

my thoughts.

1. If you get a ticket , dont panic , consider options to fight. With a bit of effort your cash stays in your wallet.

2. If you care about door dents.... dont park near people who  dont.

3. If you have a blue badge, use it... if you dont , think yourself lucky you dont have one.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, steveledzep said:

It's very unusual for blue badge holders to be able to jump.....never mind through hoops !!  My Dad had one when he was driving, he'd had three replacement hip operations (not from IOM) and couldn't walk far.  It was essential for him to go to town and shop.

It was ironic, hence the emoticon. FFS.

Does everybody see in black and white, missing out the grey scales?

My wife’s cousin took part in the Paralympics, she is a blue badge holder and she can jump. :shrug:

Frigging snowflakes. Mods please ban me, I can’t take much more.

3 hours ago, Verbout said:

If I were in charge of blue badge issue you’d have to jump through a lot of hoops to get one. :laughing:

I didn't have a clue. Why would a mod especially know?

I have been disabled since I was 9 years old I am now 70 and quite frankly I am fed up with being disabled. I have not had a pain free day in all that time, I take 31 tablets a day. I would like nothing better to be able to cut my blue badge up and chuck it and join the rest of you able-bodied people.

18 hours ago, Verbout said:

Absolutely no idea what you meant other than exactly what you said ........ and why would I know Rayaans was a doctor ? and if i did what difference would it have made.

There are many people in charge of issuing Blue Badges and to my certain knowledge an applicant really does have to prove the disability...................  

for RX450h/IS300h F-Sport ( Rayaans cars ) 

Malc