Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys

Wonder if someone can shed some light on this one.

Well before I started my car up, coolant level was in normal place, In the middle of full and low mark in the reservoir tank thing, then when I started the car, the level went down and stayed there, everything was working fine, heaters etc, then when I switched the car off, the level went back into the normal position again. Is this normal? I only ask because this is the first ever time I had actually watched the coolant in a lexus vehicle.

Maybe it's normal but it's just that it's the first time I looked at it and thought is that suppose to happen? I suppose it goes around the cooling system once car is started and into the radiator etc and whatever is left goes back into the coolant system when car is switched off 

Movement is normal under expansion and pressure.

You might want to top up, engine cold, to the top mark. Cap off, heater on full, run the engine hot enough for the thermostat to open.

You may have a small airlock or a leak. Observe safety precautions. (Also, when done and have secured the cap, keep an eye on the level during your motoring). Engine off: take top cover off and with a torch have a good look for damp patches or crystallised debris of coolant. Check hoses and clips.

Bit belt and braces, but this is worth a quick check and slowest part is awaiting the engine to warm! 

Nice one...that’s a result😀👍

In the old days you could buy lengths of hose that you would cut to fit.

Should not be too much £ and might be easier to pick one up from a Lexus dealer...genuine article that will fit like a glove. 

The way I do this type of running repair is to drain system down if coolant is old. Repair, then do a total refill. If a quick repair: cover the drive belt and just pull the hoses, clips of offending pipe, mop up and minimise splash and dropped fluid as much as...replace, then fill up via that front top bolt first. Then secure and torque, then fill up by main reservoir. Run up to temp adding as required: heater full on.

For me I needed to top a couple of times over the next miles until the system seemed to settle and I never had to touch again.

Forgive me as I’m sure you know all this but some may be interested if they have not done it before. Oh and there is always better advice out there!

Thank you for all that. The radiator on my Lexus doesn't have a cap but some sort of plastic thing that I think will unscrew with an Allan key. 

I may just order the part from Lexus tomorrow, I'm sure it can't be that expensive can it?

But I'm not sure if I should drive my car until I've got it done. But are very short journeys Okay? I'm not sure if I should risk it. What do you think?

Just out of curiosity I looked on eBay, most are from the States, including a bottom hose for £756 (plus postage of course) I think the main dealer advice is best.  Most on eBay seem to be about £25 plus shipping.  I'm not sure I'd drive too far with a leak as it will affect the system if it's not under the correct pressure.

Well the correct advice would be to fix it and not drive. I have on my wife’s Jag that had more leaks than Wales, even with a clapped water pump with steam rolling around at lights like a special effect...but the guage on normal. The repairs were not expensive, just time intensive and challenging so it had to wait. Needed a lot of parts by the way...cooling tower with thermostat housing and tough as to fit plus reservoir (awful job) oh and plastic drain plug that snapped on exit...

I love Lexus...

Cars often run a while before we discover the fault...at least you know.

37 minutes ago, messi said:

Oh one other thing, what's the difference between red coolant and pink coolant? Is it okay to use red toyota coolant?

This has been discussed at some length in the past with many conflicting views.  In the end I simply phoned Lexus to get the correct info, which for me was red, ready mixed.  I'd phone, just to be sure, although you do have the same engine as me.

Okay so, done the job, no more water leak and no air in system, but I don't know if it's just me, when I put heater on to warm, the drivers side is very hot but passenger side is not as hot, its warm but not as hot as the drivers side, what have I missed doing? 

1 hour ago, messi said:

the drivers side is very hot but passenger side is not as hot, its warm but not as hot as the drivers side

I 'think' (without looking in car I don't know for sure) that each side can adjust their own levels, or, if its put on automatic they both give out the same....that needs to be double checked, just play around & find out exactly what they do. i

If there is huge bang followed by  clouds of smoke you'll know you got something wrong:w00t: