Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buy own parts for Lexus dealer service

Neil300H

Hi.  

I have a 2016 IS300H which is due for its second service.  

I have been quite £450 by Lexus for what is basically an oil change and a look around the car.  

With my previous 2015 Mercedes C class, I purchased the genuine Mercedes oil and filters etc, normally from eBay and Mercedes just charged me for the labour of about £100.

So full service with genuine Mercedes parts was sub £200, instead of their usual £400+.

I assume Lexus will do the same thing provided Genuine Lexus parts are used.  The parts do not seem so readily available as genuine Mercedes parts or am I looking in the right places !

Anyone done similar and know of a good place to source reasonably priced genuine Lexus service parts?

Thanks.

On 12/11/2017 at 2:45 PM, Neil300H said:

Hi.  

I have a 2016 IS300H which is due for its second service.  

I have been quite £450 by Lexus for what is basically an oil change and a look around the car.  

With my previous 2015 Mercedes C class, I purchased the genuine Mercedes oil and filters etc, normally from eBay and Mercedes just charged me for the labour of about £100.

So full service with genuine Mercedes parts was sub £200, instead of their usual £400+.

I assume Lexus will do the same thing provided Genuine Lexus parts are used.  The parts do not seem so readily available as genuine Mercedes parts or am I looking in the right places !

Anyone done similar and know of a good place to source reasonably priced genuine Lexus service parts?

Thanks.

Remember that you also need the hybrid healthcheck which would be £59 as well as the labour charge. 

You could try getting the parts from Toyota which may be cheaper. But otherwise, Lexus is probably the only place you can get the parts be it Lexus dealers on eBay or service departments at your local showroom. 

To compare like for like you need..
5L 0W20 SM/SN Engine oil (Uses 4.5l)
Oil Filter, Sump washer
2L LT 75W85 Diff oil (Uses 1.4l)
2x Diff seals
2032 remote key Battery
1L Brake fluid Dot4
Screenwash satchet
Pollen filter (the fancy type)
Hybrid Health Check

Cheapest way to get dealer parts is via a trade discount, so if you know anyone..

29 minutes ago, iwonder said:

To compare like for like you need..
5L 0W20 SM/SN Engine oil (Uses 4.5l)
Oil Filter, Sump washer
2L LT 75W85 Diff oil (Uses 1.4l)
2x Diff seals
2032 remote key battery
1L Brake fluid Dot4
Screenwash satchet
Pollen filter (the fancy type)
Hybrid Health Check

Cheapest way to get dealer parts is via a trade discount, so if you know anyone..

Thanks.

Are you sure they would change the diff oil on its second service with sub 20k on the clock?

Trade discount sounds favourite as I have been told need to be 'Toyota boxed' parts.

What is the 'fancy type' pollen filter?

Surely air filter too?

Ar filter is 40k service, pollen filters come standard (white) or upgraded ones (grey) which have activated carbon to reduce odours etc. entering cabin. The carbon type may be standard for lexus, I don;t know.
Diff oil is essential every full service as its on the service check sheet. That would probably void warranty if not done

On 13/11/2017 at 9:13 PM, iwonder said:

Ar filter is 40k service, pollen filters come standard (white) or upgraded ones (grey) which have activated carbon to reduce odours etc. entering cabin. The carbon type may be standard for lexus, I don;t know.
Diff oil is essential every full service as its on the service check sheet. That would probably void warranty if not done

I don't think Diff oil is essential

https://d3rvezpmgp265q.cloudfront.net/lexusone/lexgben/Lexus-Service-Checklist_tcm-3066-418952.pdf?_ga=2.62672622.356720428.1511111793-84007686.1509382955

Service checklist says "inspect and if necessary, replace diff oil".

5 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I don't think Diff oil is essential

https://d3rvezpmgp265q.cloudfront.net/lexusone/lexgben/Lexus-Service-Checklist_tcm-3066-418952.pdf?_ga=2.62672622.356720428.1511111793-84007686.1509382955

Service checklist says "inspect and if necessary, replace diff oil".

Workshop checksheet says replace rear diff oil for full services so if you receive the lexus technicians checklist you should of had the diff oil replaced as part of the service. If you wanted to inspect the magnet on the drain bolt it would mean draining all the old oil anyway as other than that, you can only inspect the level from the fill bolt.

It's another case of Lexus (Toyota are guilty of this too) giving customers one piece of info and main dealers another. 

Diff oil is not replaced on a major service, only inspected, but the cost to replace it is seems to be within the fixed price service.

I've had two major services, one didn't replace it, the other one did (charged for 1.4 litres).

The first major service occurred before the price rise and extra checks so maybe it will always be replaced going forward.

36 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Diff oil is not replaced on a major service, only inspected.

As I said above. The workshop checklist says to replace.

Edit: It will come down to what you expect as a customer. If i'm paying full price I wast the job done properly. "inspect and replace if necessary" is a copout, which can be seen under pollen filter. When is necessary to lexus? when the damage has been done?

Screenshot_20171119-180222.png

• 1 month later...
On 19/11/2017 at 6:05 PM, iwonder said:

As I said above. The workshop checklist says to replace.

Edit: It will come down to what you expect as a customer. If i'm paying full price I wast the job done properly. "inspect and replace if necessary" is a copout, which can be seen under pollen filter. When is necessary to lexus? when the damage has been done?

Screenshot_20171119-180222.png

Hi iwonder 

Do you have the full checklist?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links